Votes: 22 47.8%
  • Don't restamp

Votes: 24 52.2%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think about restamping a gun to it's original stamps? For instance I have an SP5K and I'm sending it out to get a three lug and paddle mag release on. The gunsmith can also restamp it to say MP5K-N. I'm wondering what your thoughts are on doing this.

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
People like it, seems to give them some sort of erotic satisfaction. The stamping does not the gun make. It's a copy of the marking and will never be original regardless of stamps or markings. I say it's money wasted but that's me. It truly is personal preference and if someone wants their gun to say it's something it's not, it only matters to the owner. Their money and happiness. They could Ceracoat it titty pink and call it an MP WHAT'S IT for all I care as long as they are happy with it. And that's all that matters.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I think it's disingenuous.

An MP5K-N is only that, if it's made entirely in Germany, marked as such, and shipped from the factory as a machinegun. With a push pin lower, an auto sear, and the smell of Jever Pils, sausage and sauerbraten on it.

Remarking it won't turn it into something it's not.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I do not like it myself. I consider it a form of fraud and it could mess up a person down the road who may obtain it one day, thinking it was, when it was not.
However, people do what they wish, all the time. But as said above, its pretty much a wast of funds, unless you absolutely need to fool yourself and are not happy with the real HK you have in hand already. To me, after queen Hillaryious stops the imports, the non aborted SP5K would have much more resale value than a re-stamped item as that would be considered damaged IMO.

·
Registered
153 Posts
it could mess up a person down the road who may obtain it one day, thinking it was, when it was not.
My fear is that some LEO may think it is a machine gun, when it is not. I could only imagine the time, hassle and legal expenses of proving your innocence. But I must admit, I love the look of the full auto/burst pictograms and the various model remarkings- Especially Tbostic's G36 variants. Incredible work!

·
Priest of the P7
4,802 Posts
I thought about this with the SP5K and...meh. Really, I don't care what it says on the gun, so long as it goes pew pew pew and puts a smile on my face. Money wasted IMHO.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I look at it like this... This is as close as I'll ever get to an actual MP5K. Not quite, but close. I've always loved the look of the MP5K and it is just a little closer to the real thing. It is a waste of money, but so was my 4-position trigger pack housing. I like the look. I'm not trying to counterfeit. I'm just trying to appease a desire I've had for many years.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I think it would turn a real HK into a fake HK. Yeah, it would still be an HK, but not the HK it purports to be.

·
Banned
34,595 Posts
Welcome to the site--- presuming not going to be full auto, and since you cannot change all of the markings to that of a "factory" MP5K, leave it be--- may be some confusion, should you sell it later!!! :biggrin:

Tony

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Its up to you. I can see the desire and I doubt you would lose any money should you decide to resell it. If it were something more exotic, say an HK41 id say NEVER but hopefully there will be plenty of SP85ks brought in. If not...then minor pecadillos such as remarking really wont matter, people will want them anyway. For myself, I wouldnt do it but also would have no problem buying a weapon so marked. In the past I've purchased HK91s remarked "G3" (sort of silly without the grenade ring etc I know) and an HK93 marked "HK33"... I dont consider it fraud as everyone in the HK world would know what it is. Messing with manufacture markings and trying to fake rare hks..thats another thing entirely..

·
Registered
409 Posts
My Fleming SD was built off a 94 and remarked as an MP5 SD. I have to admit I kind of like it. Hell, we buy "clipped and pinned" lowers to appear closer to that which we can't have - why not remarking? Honestly, after the first fondle of my SD and a pass-around at my range, I don't think I've ever looked again so do what makes you feel good. Honestly, we have grown men paying $6K for a gun that when new was $900 - we're all doing this because of how we connect to HK weapons. Your gun- your connection. Best, Matt.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
To do all that other work on the gun and not remark it, is short sighted. You going to SBR that gun? If you SBR the gun as SP5k, then it can't be changed once registered. I'm not the only one who would look at a gun for sale with all that work done but not remarked, and factor in a cost for remarking and refinishing. In other words, that gun is worth less than one that's been remarked, and not just the cost of the remarking, but the cost of refinishing too. Some of the reasons not to remark the gun are humorously hypothetical.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Re-mark it!!! Why not remark it? What about all the SP89 and HK94 conversions to "MP5-K" and "MP5"?? Builders have been doing it for decades. What makes the SP5K special and exempt from this process? Nothing. If you're going to have a barrel replaced in your SP5K it is going to need a refinish. May as well have it remarked too.
@SudS nails it: "To do all that other work on the gun and not remark it, is short sighted."

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
So many people fail to see the point. The SP89's, SP5k's, 94's, 93's, etc., those are the bastards. Those guns are the clones. Those guns exist because our gun laws forbid they be brought into this country as they were intended to be, as their maker originally designed them to be. With paddle mag releases, three lug barrels, grenade rings, remarking...all of these things are an attempt to restore the gun to what it was originally intended to be. If we could legally remove the shelf and drill a hole, we would. We can't, so we go as far as the law allows. The person who would spend all the money by taking a German 93, a German 53 parts kit, and build a complete 53 configuration, and not remark it as a 53 is an idiot. But, it's not my gun, I don't really care.

·
Banned
4,103 Posts
So many people fail to see the point. The SP89's, SP5k's, 94's, 93's, etc., those are the bastards. Those guns are the clones. Those guns exist because our gun laws forbid they be brought into this country as they were intended to be, as their maker originally designed them to be. With paddle mag releases, three lug barrels, grenade rings, remarking...all of these things are an attempt to restore the gun to what it was originally intended to be. If we could legally remove the shelf and drill a hole, we would. We can't, so we go as far as the law allows. The person who would spend all the money by taking a German 93, a German 53 parts kit, and build a complete 53 configuration, and not remark it as a 53 is an idiot. But, it's not my gun, I don't really care.
Completely agree @SudS

As soon as I can find a MP5K barrel.....it's going off to be remarked and paddle mag release installed.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
When we talk about "re-marking" what exactly do we mean? In terms of an already built gun, I thought the ATF did not allow any destruction of manufacturer markings and serial numbers. So, how does the re-marking get around that? I can definitely see on a build from scratch, where you bend your own flat, you can mark that however you want, but on clones and HK conversions, how is that done?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts