HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I love to carry my P7M8, but I know a couple guys who don't carry there P7s because the don't want to ruin the finish on them. I've never been a collector. I'm a user. I love to shoot the guns I have. That being said, when should a gun not be carried?

For reference, here's my M8:

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
Guns (like the one you are referring to) are a tool meant to serve a purpose. I can understand not wanting to see it go bye-bye for an uncertain amount of time in an evidence bag should you have to use it for its intended purpose, but not wanting to carry it for fear of finish wear is just plain silly.

When should it not be carried? I'd say if you can't afford to replace it and you can't bear losing it.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Too nice to carry?

When the gun means more than being just a gun. Unless the gun needs to be carried to achieve this transcended state.

·
Registered
410 Posts
when it's fully engraved with european hunting motiffs, has vintage laminated wood, of african elephant ivory grips, and has got gold trigger and controls?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
When it comes to HK's...never. I would carry any HK, thougha Mark 23 would be a little difficult. :wink:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
To carry or not to carry. I get it. That IS a Chantilly after all. Was it meant to be carried and shot? Sure. But if/when something happens to that beauty you'll still hate yourself. I agree guns are tools. I too am not a collector. That being said when it comes time to holster up a P7M8 it is not the Chantilly. This is why almost every P7 nut owns more than 1. 1 of them is a range gun carried in a baby seal skin pouch, the other is to be beat upon. This is the way of things...

Of note, I sold a LNIB/NIB (who knew for sure?) P7M13, no import marks, 4 serialized matching mags, box, the whole shabang not long ago. Why? Because for the 1st time in my life I couldn't bring myself to shoot a gun. Now you know you really have the sickness mi amigo.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I ask myself this same question regarding which gun to use as my "truck gun"? And I too, came up with the same answers. When it can't be replaced. When it would hurt too much. When you couldn't afford to lose it. Etc.

So for my truck gun, I switched from a sweet Chantilly M8 (which is perfect), to a well used P2000 LEM I picked up cheap at the local gun store. Dilemma solved.

·
Registered
618 Posts
There is no such thing. If you want to carry a gold plated pistol and be the man or woman with the golden gun so be it. We are on this planet once in you life time so that being said do what makes you happy. I used to be like that but now I realize and ask why should I care to keep any pistol new in the box or why notto carry it. For the next guy? Hell no. I consider the real rare stuff and feel it should be preserved but something that was a regular production there are thousands out there. Shoot it enjoy it. When it comes to carry guns I try and consider the best pistol for the situation. In my case it's my P7. Be it M13 or PSP. Depends on what I'm wearing and where I'm going. If I am just going to a mall or another public place then it will be my M13 other than that it is the PSP. I want what works. I am not going to worry about if they take my gun after I use it to defend myself. Let's face it, it all comes down to who is standing in the end. At that point I'm not going to care what the gun costs. I'm going home to my family. I do have to say, one important thing is training with the pistol you are carrying to the point where it is second nature. Know your weapon and be confident with it. Better trained person is the winner. If you have a new one in the box and you don't want to shoot it buy a shooter and sell the new one to a collector.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I like the second post. It's a (sexy looking) tool first and foremost. If you shoot it well, can present it effectively, and it's reliable then IMO it being "too nice to carry" is a secondary consideration.

Carry it for a few months...after you start to see wear you'll stop caring. It's like getting that first scratch/ding on a new car. :8:

ETA: Just saw Wolvee's post. Agree with that, if it absolutely cannot be replaced...then I'd find another carry piece.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Guns (like the one you are referring to) are a tool meant to serve a purpose. I can understand not wanting to see it go bye-bye for an uncertain amount of time in an evidence bag should you have to use it for its intended purpose, but not wanting to carry it for fear of finish wear is just plain silly.

When should it not be carried? I'd say if you can't afford to replace it and you can't bear losing it.
+1 Well said

·
Registered
65 Posts

My thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'll carry it for you. lol. I don't own a pistol that I have not carried or shot. Some of my most
favorite pistols are favorites because I've carried them, bonded with them so to speak. Unless it
was just so expensive or rare it would see service although I've never had to worry about that.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Never

1 - 20 of 44 Posts