HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...when you change from Var. 1 to the LEM (or have H&K do it rather) do you automatically lose the safety decock? I would like to keep the safety so I can rest my right thumb on it when shooting. Kinda like a 1911hammer safety. I guess I can ask H&K to leave the safety on? Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys...when you change from Var. 1 to the LEM (or have H&K do it rather) do you automatically lose the safety decock? I would like to keep the safety so I can rest my right thumb on it when shooting. Kinda like a 1911hammer safety. I guess I can ask H&K to leave the safety on? Thanks
Yes you lose the safety. The lem is kinda like a glock precock but with a hammer that still moves. There is no need for a decock lever or a manual safety since the hammer cannot physically stay back like a single action trigger.
Technically I guess you could still have a manual safety with the lem but the decock is not needed.

·
Registered
616 Posts

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Look at the tacked thread at near the top of this forum on the LEM WITH SAFETY conversion. NO, you do not HAVE to lose the safety; can if you want, but you don't need to.
Here is the deal according to my way of thinking. Would you carry around a pistol cocked with no safety if it had only a 5 pound or less pull? I know you said no.
So, when I did the LEM conversions on my pistols the trigger pulls were about 4 3/4 pounds, and that is too damned light for me to rely on just the long take up to keep it safe. I have been shooting the pistol for 5 years going from hammer down and safety on to shooting by flipping off the safety as I draw so the safety is not a problem. By leaving the safety on it gives me peace of mind and I do not have to alter my training one bit and there is no need to re-train my muscles. The draw and shot is just like it always has been but instead of a 10 pound first shot pull, it is 4 3/4 pound.
There is a reason for a safety on the LEM for some of us so don't get the idea that the LEM is a one size fits all. On an 8 pound pull I'd say the safety is overkill and the long travel and weight is enough to keep things safe, but not on the 5 pound or less pull. At least I feel better with the safety on it. And if it makes you feel better with the safety left on the pistol with even the 8 pound pull, then by all means leave it on.

As you likely already know, the decocker will no longer work with the LEM installation but the safety will so ride that horse as hard as you want!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice post Big Bore, I never thought of like that.

Fan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts