HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been saving up for a sear for quite some time now and was hoping to purchase one sometime in 2012. I watch all the board religiously and have been for over a year and just haven't seen sear at what I consider a reasonable price. Reasonable as in less then the register trigger box prices.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Seen one for $13.5k here a few months back, was the cheapest in awhile. Shattered can help you get a box for $15k, which isnt much of a different really.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
So glad I jumped on mine 6 months ago....with all these host guns popping up it's only driving up the value. I'm thinking of jumping on a second one if I can. I don't see the price on these comming down anytime soon, unless they repeal the ban. I don't see that happening with the way this country is headed. You might want to look at buying one in a host gun. Seems to be some deals popping up every so often. I got a mint S&H sear gun for $14,000 off of Subguns 6 months ago (paperwork just got approved). With what I see converted 94 selling on Gunbroker recently I think I did pretty good. Check Sturm and Subguns everyday and put a wtb add out there.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
A month ago I was looking for the same. I ended up buying a Fleming sear in a Vollmer converted 94 and got an okay to good deal. The 94 looks brand new and has been fired very little. Based on the current value of the host I got the sear for around $12-12.5K or so. That being said if I had it to do over again I would probably just buy one of the boxes and do one of the better clones for the same money. I really like the idea of being able to use factory spec parts in the box and have reservations about putting a lot of rounds through the 94 host I have.

·
Vendor
2,037 Posts
pa123,

i've noticed a paucity of sears up for sale lately too...meaning supply seemed to have tightened down significantly over the last 2 yrs increasingly so. I bought my last one in Nov 2010 for $10k in a SEF pack which was a smoking deal at the time as most were running $11,500-$12,500 at the time...and I remember plenty of them up for sale. I printed out all the ads for them and still have them in a stack in the closet...dunno why. Anyway...I agree with you...not nearly as many of them for sale as in the past.

_HH

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
"When the tide goes out, you see who is swimming naked"! Basically we saw sears drop in price from 2008-2010 because some people got caught financially stretch when the economy turned. I think time has flushed the majority of them and others have eased their spending habits or have been saving, so the lesser amount of sears on the market at one time has raised the prices. Basically supply (down) and demand (up) = higher prices.

My thoughts

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
It is funny that this is being discussed, because I was just thinking the same thing on Wednesday. The available sears on the market have dropped a bunch in the last year and prices have risen several thousand dollars. I have not been watching current prices that closely, so I went out to sub guns in Wednesday to to see what was going one. I was really surprised by the asking prices.

I had wanted a sear for 3-4 years and had been watching the prices closely, when I was able to pull a "houston $10k in 2010" deal back in Jan. '10. It looks like early 2010 appears to have been the low in the current pricing cycle.

If I was buying today and shopping at these prices, I would certainly buy the $15k DLO box before I dropped $13k ish on a sear.

Take care

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Had thought about selling an extra sear a couple years ago, but did not appear worth it at the time, now days as the prices go up it becomes more interesting, but one may need to wait for Doug to sell out of boxes first and would not hurt for the CLEO signature to go away .... then again if times take a hard down turn, this might have been the high point for sear prices (in the near future).

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice. I plan to post a WTB ad in the very near future. I am starting to think about what is the premium I would be will to pay for a DLO box versus a sear. What are your thought is say 2- 3K more worth the advantages in your opinions?

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I plan to post a WTB ad in the very near future. I am starting to think about what is the premium I would be will to pay for a DLO box versus a sear. What are your thought is say 2- 3K more worth the advantages in your opinions?
Depends a lot on yourself and what you are going to use the sear with. If your toy fund is under a $100 per week and you have been saving for a sear for years (or is one time money) then maybe not, as this money could be a nice host clone. If you wish to have a burst pack (not that I see any need for them), then research you options a little more. Lastly will need to mill the front of the box for the 21e/23e belt guns, which assume is not an issue unless the markings are there (which they do not appear to be).

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
IMO, the true functional advantages are minimal. Having said that, I think most everyone would agree that the registered trigger box is the "best" conversion device available. For me, a 20% premium is what I would pay. So a sear at $12.5 or a DLO at $15, I'd take the DLO.

But you know what they say about opinions..... :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
I was having some timing issues with one of my host guns. I was just about to sell my sear and buy a pack. I ended up buying a real HK semi pack and installing my sear and timed hammer in it. All my problems went away after that. My old pack was a converted full auto one. What really changed my mind was when a new clone beat the hell out of my old pack. Check out my pictures. I would have been pretty upset if the pack would have been the registered part.

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l348/USPSA13/photo1.jpg

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l348/USPSA13/photo.jpg

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW.. thats crazy I have never seen a trigger pack get bent. How did it happen?

Thanks for the opinions! As I said prior I think I will post a WTB ad see where the prices come in at. If I don't find a good a deal I may just pay the premium for the box.

Currently I have some hosts that are anxiously waiting for a happy switch.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
When your ready for the registered box, gimme a yell. Doug has about a half dozen left in inventory.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
When your ready for the registered box, gimme a yell. Doug has about a half dozen left in inventory.
Shattered can't you move these any faster ;-). I figured would post my extra sear as soon as Doug sold out of his last remaining boxes (assuming he does not have a pile someplace else still ... hate to think of all the cool items he has sold over the years, is kinda of impressive).

·
Vendor
2,037 Posts
Maybe my memory serves me wrong and did buy that sear in jan 2010. i thought it was nov '10...oh well. i wont hold my breath waiting on another one of those to pop up.

you want to know the sh$tty thing? the seller was also selling a steel RDIAS...for $10k....and I didn't buy it....and now I'm in the m16/DIAS market licking my wounds.

hh

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Maybe my memory serves me wrong and did buy that sear in jan 2010. i thought it was nov '10...oh well. i wont hold my breath waiting on another one of those to pop up.

you want to know the sh$tty thing? the seller was also selling a steel RDIAS...for $10k....and I didn't buy it....and now I'm in the m16/DIAS market licking my wounds.

hh
How do you think I feel on the $450 sears that I passed on and/or sold, the $4K BAR and the $3500 uncut M60, let along the cheep Google and Microsoft stock .......
In any case all averages out in the end, unless you are a Viking (besides transferables besides M16s don't burn well).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts