HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm looking forward to getting my first MP5 clone and I'm looking for a CA94 (a fairly inexpensive clone just for my range usage).
Can any of you point me in the right direction (other than Gun Broker & Guns America)? Thanks!

..and yes, I tried the search function

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Atlantic firearms has some clones. But they aren't Coharie stuff. Better to have one built.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I was just doing research on their VR9. But when you say to have a Coharie built, do you mean that there is a member here that does them? and if so, about how much would it cost?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I am in a similar position with wanting a full size mp5 clone. I have come to the conclusion that a build is the only way to get what I want.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Yep, I was just doing research on their VR9. But when you say to have a Coharie built, do you mean that there is a member here that does them? and if so, about how much would it cost?
Avoid the vr9 like the plague. And no on building a Coharie. Contact ghilliebear or Chopstix kid on here. They both do custom builds. They cost a bit more than a Coharie but you'll save money in hair restoration products as owning a Coharie usually involves pulling your own hair out.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Avoid the vr9 like the plague.
Good Advice.

They cost a bit more than a Coharie but you'll save money in hair restoration products as owning a Coharie usually involves pulling your own hair out.
This is misleading IMHO. There are problem guns, nearly all which can be made to run 100% with some tweaking. However since Coharie has a lifetime warranty which Todd honors to this day (so long as you are not belligerent and haven't gone-a-hacking on gun yourself), you are covered there too.

I would contact DJF (use member search) (or he will probably chime in shortly). He seems to have the lowdown on locating all things Coharie.

YMMV, of course.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
First, welcome to the forum. Your question is a real conundrum to me. My guess is you want to find an inexpensive roller locked clone? To me an inexpensive roller locked gun is an oxymoron. Sadly, the Coharie Arms ship has sailed. My understanding is there are no more CA guns being built. I don't think they have any inventory left. You can try calling (480) 30-5652 to ask. Todd has a new company called Bellator Armaments. My understanding is they are currently only producing a K gun. Another Todd company is Black Market Parts. They have some barreled upper products at MP5 Receivers, Flats, Barreled Uppers if you want to see them. At least on the page for the full sized barreled uppers Barreled Upper FS (BMP5-147) you could add your name to a waiting list, but there is no full sized barreled uppers in stock.

So my question to you is, how patient are you? This question has a couple of levels to it. You can search the gun boards for a CA94. Beyond the couple boards you have listed, I'd also search right here at hk pro, ar15.com, subguns.com, sturmgewehr.com, and uzitalk.com, which all have a section a CA94 might pop up for sale. Once you find a used full size CA94, it might or might not run. There are also degrees of reliability. Would one or two FTE per mag be acceptable? In the used CA94 you find, unless someone has done some "modifying" of the gun, there should be a lifetime warranty. Any modifications should be disclosed before you send the funds and FFL copy. Sending the CA94 to the mother ship, might or might not help. There are pages and pages of threads here on DIY "make your Todd built roller locked gun run" threads here. The search function can be your friend. There are several very competent smiths associated with this board that can diagnose whatever problem the gun might have and get it to run. Of course a smith's time and replacement parts are valuable and will cost you more money. Personally I've had function issues with the original MIMS bolts that came with my guns. YMMV.

The other end of the spectrum is a custom build. That can be done fairly inexpensively, but again, how patient are you? You might find a deal here, on the parts board, for a trunnion, find a barrel a sturm, buy a cocking tube assembly from BMP, or you might find a deal on a complete HK parts set somewhere else. I managed to find two HK MP5 parts sets for $2,300 shipped. One of them has a Action 3 bolt group. But I had to buy both sets. Another $270 for two CA94 receivers (I had to buy five to get that price) plus $1,100 to have them both built puts my cost at a little over $1,800 each. If you want a rife from a German parts set, you'll need to do some parts swapping because of 922(R). Again the search function is your friend. One of the members here, is having a run of clones with premium US made parts. Check out the thread http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone-talk/150081-hk-mp5-clone-buy-special.html for more information.

Your question is about as big, at least to me, as I want to buy a German sports car. Is there someplace else I could buy a German sports car beyond the two car dealers in my town? I'm sure if you had $3,000 in hand, you could have a great quality MP5 clone in your hands by next weekend. How inexpensive and how long before you have a roller locked clone is up to your patience and your wallet. Again, the Coharie Arms ship has sailed. At least for buying a new one from Todd. The good news is you only need to find one (at least to start). I hope this post was helpful. Good luck with your search for an inexpensive roller locked clone.

Scott

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
scottinthegrove has fleshed this out nicely.

The bottom line is nothing in the HK land is cheap. There are few parts suppliers, foreign or US. Thus, everything is more expensive in this arena of the firearms hobby.

Basic supply and demand.

The good news is that you have come to the right place for all things HK.

Many hours of reading await you. Welcome.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
braxton14,
I will have available some 94fs rifles. These will have the 8" barrel, navy threaded 3 lug underneath a pinned fake suppressor to take the OAL to a legal title 16" rifle. If you are looking for the 16" pencil barrel model, I do not have any plans for those builds in the future.
Dj

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for your input guys! I obviously have a lot of research ahead of me (DJF..Sounds good. I'll contact you after I do a little more reading and find out exactly what I'm looking for).
Thanks again people.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts