HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I‘ve been thinking about acquiring a 23EK beltfed gun for a while now, and one thing I can’t wrap my head around is how and where to shoot it. I’ll purchase a semi with plans of adding a sear to my collection once I acquire property in an NFA friendly state.

I’m a member of an outdoor range with targets out to 1k yards, but don’t see any point in slow rapid fire on steel or paper targets. I also don’t see much of a point of rapid fire into a forest or berm. Having fired the M240 in the Marine Corps, I always enjoyed shooting area targets and walking in the fire using tracers.

So my question is: What kid of targets are you beltfed owners shooting at? Are there locations that have area targets setup? Any in the southwest (SoCal/Arizona)?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
Hey Matt - you've got some options on cutting loose with the 23e. I have one myself and they are tremendous fun once you pair it with a sear. Believe it or not I've shot mine indoors at Scottsdale Gun Club. Just remove the kick panel below the bench, get the gun up on the bipod and have at it. The ejected cases are absolutely slamming the ceiling, the floor, the ceiling again and going everywhere. Crowd favorite. Check with your range first to make sure it's ok. That doesn't do much for 'walking in with tracers', but it's a place to make sure your gun is running and show off a bit.

Another option is public land. Find a place with a safe backstop like a hill or mountain and have fun. I wouldn't shoot tracers on an uncontrolled range like that since it's possible you might start a fire or two, so shoot ball ammo. There are places on the outskirts of the Phoenix metro area I've used with great results. Shoot at anything you want including reactive targets. Clean up what you bring and you're good to go.

Another wonderful option in the Southwest US is the Big Sandy Shoot in Northern AZ. Twice a year (March and October) of absolute full auto madness. Every machine gun owner should get an opportunity to shoot there as it is just incredible. Arial targets, reactives, cars, structures, you name it they got it. Super easy to go through 6k-10k rounds on the 23e there without even trying.

Let us know what you decide on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Spitfyr, your post is very encouraging. I just couldn’t see myself using a beltfed to punch holes in paper, and I really like your suggestion of reactive targets. I have a place in mind where I can do what you describe. In regards to Big Sandy, it’s on my radar to make a trip out there, but thanks for the reminder, I‘ll see if we can swing October. I’m still researching vendors, so hoping to kickoff a build early next year.

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
Sounds great. I always give a shout out to Mike of Michael’s Machines as I’ve been quite happy with build quality and his availability should I need parts or help. He’s been there every time I called for the past decade and he stands behind his work. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts