HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not sure exactly what kind of front iron sights Cohaire Arms is using on their 53's, but I'm sure it's fairly close to the factory size. (Is there even different sized front iron sites?)

I want to get an Aimpoint, but not sure which one and why.

First off, what does Available in 2 dot sizes (2 and 4 MOA) mean?

Can you guys give me the pro's & con's of the following scopes...

COMPML3

COMPML2

COMPC3

Which one will allow me to co-witness with my iron sites?

I see the difference between the L versions and the regular versions of scopes is only that the one offers the ability to use with night vision? Is that the only difference between the type of scopes in the same family? (i.e. COMP-M2, COMP-ML2 etc.)

So there is really no reason to spend the extra 50 bucks on a "extra" that a normal person would probably never use.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After doing some more reseach, I think I like the COMPM3 series because it offers 50k in useable hours.

But can you co-witness with the M3 series?

The body seems to be a grey color? Is that correct? Or is it a jet black in person?

·
Registered
280 Posts
You're on the right track with getting an Aimpoint, or a good clone, and it really doesn't matter which of the models you mentioned that you get. Usually the older M2 and ML2 models are less expensive than the newer M3 and certainly the stupidly expensive M4 models. A problem with the Aimpoints is that they seem to hold their value better than a Porsche 911 so finding a bargain-basement deal on one is a real matter of pure luck & good timing and searching the for-sale ads diligently. BTW, the "L" in the model name indicates a lack of NV capability, so you can save some $$ there if you don't need NV capabilities.

However, I'm not sure you can get a true co-witness on any HK or clone rifle that is not 9mm. Reason being that (AFAIK) the only mounts that are low enough to allow a true co-witness, where the dot sits atop the front sight post, and only with an Aimpoint type scope (EOTechs will never co-witness as they are simply too tall), are specifically only made for the 9mm guns by B&T, models 10266 and 21241.

That said, the MFI mounts are, again AFAIK, the lowest available scope mounts for the .223 & .308 guns.

Unfortunately for HK fans, the HK .223 rifles have precious few after market accessories available compared to the 9mm & .308 offerings.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So wait, I thought that the 93 & 94 series of guns were the same width? I thought that just the mag well was wider to accept .223

Are you sure the B&T models 10266 and 21241 won't fit on a 53 receiver?

What model rail & ring should I go with then for a 53?

What does AFAIK stand for or mean?

·
1,199 Posts
Width isn't the issue. It's length. The mounting "tabs" are further apart on the 93/53 because the ejection port is bigger.

Neither the BT10266 nor BT21241 will fit onto a 53

The Universal Low Mount will fit onto a 53, but that mount sits a few mm higher than the 10266, and doesn't offer a co-witness with the Aimpoint.

I suspect that the 53/93/G3/91 mounting points are far enough apart that a really low profile mount like the 10266 may be too weak to withstand the recoil... just a guess.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, so if I go with the B&T universal mount for the 53, do I need to get a ring that sits higher than normal so that the irons aren't in the way? Will the ring that comes with the scope be tall enough?

The B&T universal is $125. Does anyone make an equal clone in quality for a cheaper price? Doesn't Aimpoint have rails? Are they cheaper? I tried looking for them on a couple of websites, but didn't find anything.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Is $500.99 a good price for an Aimpoint COMPM3?

If I would like to shoot from 10-300 yards with a 53, would I need a 1 MOA, 2, or a 4?

What about magnification for up to that distance? The COMPM3 comes in 1x for $500.

But I can get the COMPC3 in 2x mag for $474, and only comes in 1 or 2 MOA.

Are you able to switch from 1x-2x depending on the distance? Or is the 2x fixed at 2x?

Other than design, they seem to be the same, both have 50k battery life, but the C3 series is just less expensive.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Is $500.99 a good price for an Aimpoint COMPM3?
Heck no! That's MAP (minimum advertised price), which is the same as MSRP. Anyone that pays anywhere near that price has been taken for a serious bum ride.

Get a C&R and MidwayUSA.com has 'em for $450.99. If you can live without the NV settings, Midway has the ML3 model for a tick over $400. If you buy a gently used one you can knock ~$50 more off that price.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I guess it matters if I need the 2x magnification or not before I decide on a scope for sure.

But I checked MidwayUSA.com & they have the Aimpoint COMPM3 listed for $499. ??

What is C&R?

I'm still on the line if I want to spend the extra $50 for NVD or not.

Picking up one slightly used would be nice to get more savings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts