HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my MR308 a few days ago. One small problem. No scope or iron sights.

I've decided to hold out for the S&B 1-8x24 PMII ShortDot when it becomes available at the end of the year. In the meantime, I need to shoot this gun so I thought I'd buy an EOTech or Aimpoint. EOTech XPS3-0 looks good until I read reviews of pixellated reticles, so maybe an Aimpoint would be a good choice.

So, which one? T-1, CompM4s or Comp M3? Needs to be fitted on QD mount. Interested in pros and cons from those that own them.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
If weight is a concern-T1 in an HK height LaRue mount

If you are looking for the most reliable and toughest red dot made with the longest battery life-Comp M4 in a LaRue HK height mount or the Aimpoint mount with the spacer removed. I have thrown one of mine 918 times on concrete and asphalt and it is still running fine....just looks like it has been thrown on concrete 918 times.

Money an issue-Best bang for the buck by far is the PRO. You can use the QRP II mount it comes with (very good mount that also comes with the Comp M4 unless you get it as a package from LaRue like the above) an just remove the spacer.

All of the above are exceptional sights, NVG and Dive rated, with excellent reputations for reliability.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The QD mounts for the EOTech stuff put the optic too high for a good cheek weld. They're only pixilated if you use them incorrectly, focusing on the reticule instead of the target (RTFM). Go with an aimpoint with an HK height mount (LaRue is good but the CSAV mount from American Defense is nicer, IMHO) Save a few bucks and get an H1 since it's not going to be your primary optic. You might also want to check out the PRO, if you prefer the footprint of the Comp stuff and don't need nightvision capability.

-W

·
Registered
578 Posts
If you're using a red dot correctly with two eyes open, the objective isn't as important as how unobtrusive the housing of the optic is.

Eotech have a larger objective, and I prefer the reticule, however, since I like QD optics, I use a T1 on my MR556. Due to the weight of the weapon it's probably the better option, but it's a personal preference thing.

-W

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Let's dispell a couple of things.

First-The PRO is NVG compatible. The H1 Micro is not. It also doesn't have a lot of the coatings in the front of the lens, so you will get a bloom from the front. I love the Micro H1 on AK's, shotguns, lever actions, etc.

Size of the optic. For what its worth, the Micro's are essentially the same sights as the Comp M3's (or C3 to the H1). The difference is technology has allowed the ability to shrink it. Sort of like cell phones and other technologies. What makes the Micro's work well is you don't look through the tube. You look at the target and your eye will pick up the dot, and that small tube should "ghost" out of your vision.

In the case of the tube size on the Comp M4, part of the beauty of the sight is it is fully armored and is set up to run a AA battery, which is what really dictates its size. I do like the bigger tubed sights (M4 and PRO) when used in conjunction with either a 3X magnifier or a NVG device. Personally, I have some unique eye and vision issues that I will use only one eye to shoot in certain scenarios, but it is only due to the eye and head injury issue.

I use all of these things extensively. They all have positives and negatives. You simply need to fit the tool to the mission. I am going through this myself right now. I have a 2 MOA T1 on my LaRue .308 right now, but I am thinking about maybe going to a Comp M4 and a 3X magnifier. Its always a battle.

I have also found under stress and most crisis conditions, a single red dot is the easiest to use and pick up.

·
Banned
879 Posts
Seriously, if you know that you will be putting a different optic on it at a later time, then the interim optic doesn't need to be super-stupid-expensive, it just needs to work until the new optic comes in.

Get an Aimpoint PRO and call it good. It's cheap, it's tough, it's durable, and it'll do what you need and the money you save can go into more ammo until the you get the other optic in your grubby little hands.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts