HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally added a SP5 to the collection and I'd like to add a brace (for now, anyway - trying to avoid SBR'ing anything with the political season coming up).

I don't have any experience running a brace on the fullsize MP5 platform, so I thought I'd ask here: what's the best brace to use?

I intend to primarily use it for shouldering (unless the ATF reverses it's current position). Aesthetically, I'm a fan of the retracting style. It seems that SB Tactical is the biggest manufacturer of braces here, but their retracting model looks less... "solid," for lack of a better word.

Anyways, any recommendations? Here are the models I've found (please let me know if there's any I've overlooked).

Folding: https://www.sb-tactical.com/product/hkpdw/
Retracting: https://www.sb-tactical.com/product/sbt5a/

Thanks!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I purchased the Safety Harbor retractable unit with a Tailhook Brace for my Z5RS. I could not be more pleased with this unit. They are not cheap, but are very well built and sturdy......a class act!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the tailhook brace mounted on an ar pistol tube with the hera arms sfu and a ar stock adapter. Great setup, extremely solid. I am getting ready to sbr my k, if you are interested send me a pm

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
My SB Tactical retractable brace showed up. It appears to be very well built, but it did not go right on and will require minor modifications. The aluminum end cap was VERY tight. The instructions state that you might need to "tap the brace into place with a non-marring hammer." I used the heel of my hand and got it down as far as it would go. It stopped about 1/3" short of fully seating. After a few more gentle taps, I took it off. I had to use a wooden spoon handle to tap the brace cap back off - it was too tight to pull off by hand.

WhenI got it off, I saw that it had marred the finish on the receiver and the bottom of the trigger pack. I also noticed that the rubber buffer inside the end cap seemed to be the culprit for why it would not seat. There was a small imprint from the the f/a bolt carrier block that is in the SP5 receiver.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1htrvaiju/

My plan is to use some 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper to remove a slight amount of the metal from inside the end cap to allow for easier installation and removal. (A tight fit is great, but this was not practical.) I will also plan to remove the area of the rubber buffer that the block hit to allow it to seat.

I'll post an update when it is set up.

Has anyone else had the same issues with the SB Tactical folding brace? Do thse also have the aluminum end cap?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I spoke with SB Tactical this AM and was told that the lower left screw inside the brace cap will prevent the unit from seating, and that the buffer does not need to be trimmed. I’ll try it out this weekend and post how it goes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any luck with this? Trying to figure out what to get for my new sp5.

I spoke with SB Tactical this AM and was told that the lower left screw inside the brace cap will prevent the unit from seating, and that the buffer does not need to be trimmed. I’ll try it out this weekend and post how it goes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This ^^^^

I just pick up my SP5 and could not get the SB HK PDW Brace to line up with the pin hole. I found the above pointer and removed that screw. Now it lines up with no issues.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Sorry I did not post anything else on this earlier. I worked on removing some of the material from the inside of the brace with 1500 grit sandpaper so it would fit more reasonably. It was WAY too tight as it came and did some cosmetic damage to my receiver. I did not finish that work before I was out of town for about a week and have not gotten back to it. Glad to hear the screw removal worked!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Can you clarify. I have an SP5 and the SB HKPDW brace and I see 4 screws inside, took out the lower left one (orientation is looking into the brace) and nothing changed, still can't get it to go any further on, still about a few mm off - can't get holes to line up for pin. Am I doing something wrong?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I tried mine again with the trigger housing removed and saw clearly that the full auto block in the frame made contact with the rubber buffer. I drilled out that part, and it looked like the lower left screw was the culprit as the SB Tactical person told me. I removed the screw and it still does not fit...... Very frustrated.......

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I FINALLY got the brace to fit after slightly beveling the edges of the end cap and removing some metal and anodizing on the inside. (This was after drilling out some of the rubber buffer (SB Tactical said this was not necessary, but it was) and removing the lower left screw (per SB Tactical’s guidance). I used fine Emory paper and then 800 and 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper to remove the metal and “polish” the interior surfaces.

If anyone has similar issues with theirs being too tight, it appeared that the machining on the lower flat had some inconsistencies - which show up as bright spots in the photo. You might check for those on yours.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/eyd6crii/

Now that it is installed, I am very happy with it. It locks up very solid and seems to function great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Finally added a SP5 to the collection and I'd like to add a brace (for now, anyway - trying to avoid SBR'ing anything with the political season coming up).

I don't have any experience running a brace on the fullsize MP5 platform, so I thought I'd ask here: what's the best brace to use?

I intend to primarily use it for shouldering (unless the ATF reverses it's current position). Aesthetically, I'm a fan of the retracting style. It seems that SB Tactical is the biggest manufacturer of braces here, but their retracting model looks less... "solid," for lack of a better word.

Anyways, any recommendations? Here are the models I've found (please let me know if there's any I've overlooked).

Folding: HKPDW™ | SB Tactical
Retracting: SBT5A™ | SB Tactical

Thanks!

####
IN RESPONSE TO ASKING FOR TECHNICAL SUPPORT WITH ATTACHING EITHER THE HKPWD OR THE SBT5A TO MY NEW SP5, I PROMPTLY RECEIVED THE FOLLOWING EXCELLENT ADVICE FROM S-B TACTICAL ON DEC. 21, 2020:

The HKPDW requires some modifications that need to be made inside the end cap due to HK re-designing the receiver on the SP5.

Step 1 - The first step is to remove a screw from our end-cap (red arrow in the image below). This screw comes into contact with the receiver. There is no consequence to removing this screw, the other 3 are more than enough to secure our buffer in place.

Step 2 - The area above the screw that you just removed may need to be trimmed a bit. Due to varying tolerances on roller lock guns this step may not be necessary on your firearm. Once the screw from the first step is removed you can test fit the end cap and get an idea of where and how much to cut or file away, if necessary. A small file or razor blade can be used – in most installs I’ve seen the amount of material removed is very minimal. Replacement buffers are inexpensive at around $10, so don’t sweat too much about cutting yours.

You may be able to get by using a non-marring hammer to tap the adapter down, and you can also use the non-marring hammer to tap the pin into place if necessary.

The characteristics between the HKPDW and the SBT5A are a little different as I’m sure you’ve noticed. The HKPDW is a 3 position adjustable brace and the SBT5A is a side-folding brace and I always tell customers it all comes down to personal preference. Do you prefer having an adjustable brace for a longer length of pull or a folding brace which makes it easier to conceal in a backpack, etc, etc. The HKPDW gives the SP5, or any MP5 clone the traditional look, it is also heavier and a little more rigid compared to the SBT5A.

As far as the SBT5KA, it’ll only fit on K models for example, the HK SP5K.

·
Registered
2 Posts
IN RESPONSE TO ASKING FOR TECHNICAL SUPPORT WITH ATTACHING EITHER THE HKPWD OR THE SBT5A TO MY NEW SP5, I PROMPTLY RECEIVED THE FOLLOWING EXCELLENT ADVICE FROM S-B TACTICAL ON DEC. 21, 2020:

The HKPDW requires some modifications that need to be made inside the end cap due to HK re-designing the receiver on the SP5.

Step 1 - The first step is to remove a screw from our end-cap (red arrow in the image below). This screw comes into contact with the receiver. There is no consequence to removing this screw, the other 3 are more than enough to secure our buffer in place.

Step 2 - The area above the screw that you just removed may need to be trimmed a bit. Due to varying tolerances on roller lock guns this step may not be necessary on your firearm. Once the screw from the first step is removed you can test fit the end cap and get an idea of where and how much to cut or file away, if necessary. A small file or razor blade can be used – in most installs I’ve seen the amount of material removed is very minimal. Replacement buffers are inexpensive at around $10, so don’t sweat too much about cutting yours.

You may be able to get by using a non-marring hammer to tap the adapter down, and you can also use the non-marring hammer to tap the pin into place if necessary.

The characteristics between the HKPDW and the SBT5A are a little different as I’m sure you’ve noticed. The HKPDW is a 3 position adjustable brace and the SBT5A is a side-folding brace and I always tell customers it all comes down to personal preference. Do you prefer having an adjustable brace for a longer length of pull or a folding brace which makes it easier to conceal in a backpack, etc, etc. The HKPDW gives the SP5, or any MP5 clone the traditional look, it is also heavier and a little more rigid compared to the SBT5A.

As far as the SBT5KA, it’ll only fit on K models for example, the HK SP5K.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts