HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv heard of many places online that can do ionbonding & Ceracoat. Originally I wanted to purchase usp stainless but settled for black usp. What is the best place/type of coating that will give me the closest look to the oem hk stainless? Please help before I decide on spending a 100$ on something that might ruin my gun or won't be happy with. I heard CCR does great work? Please post pics if you got any hk slide redone so I can test the waters

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
You want it to look OEM HK Stainless?

Then you'll need a new slide. The OEM HK stainless finish is....stainless steel. Yours is carbon steel. You need a stainless steel slide to have a stainless steel finish.

Short of buying a new slide, the closest you can get on your current slide is a brushed hard chrome finish. Not quite the same, but IMO a better looking finish anyways.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ceracoat or ionbonding if yu had to choose? And finish? Where would I buy a new stainless slide?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Ceracoat or ionbonding if yu had to choose? And finish? Where would I buy a new stainless slide?
IIRC, I don't think either of those choices even comes close to a SS slide. Ionbond finishes I have seen are DLC (black); and while cerakote is a great product, their stainless color is as close as you're going to get.

Brushed hard chrome is the answer if you are going to start with a carbon steel slide.

·
Registered
518 Posts
IonBond might be able to do a silver/stainless-like finish...but I've never seen or heard about it. Their main DLC finish is very nice and durable...but it's black...like stated above.

I would agree that either brushed or matte hard chrome would be the best decision as far as matching Hk's stainless slides...and also for being very durable...more so than Cerakote.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! So if I went with either Brushed or Matt hard chrome where would you guys recommend me sending my slide to?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Parts on slide???

That part on the usp slide that patrudes out when there is a plus 1 is called? Can it be takin off for slide to get hard chromed?

·
Registered
257 Posts
How about NP3?
you should check out NP3+ i want that on a pistol of mine. I'm not sure which bevasuse I like black, but I want it :D

maybe my PF9. that thing could use some self lubricating corrosion resistant coat. it's gunkoted same color as NP3 now anyways lol

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I'm not a fan of any of the "paints" or coatings. ..not to say they don't work but I prefer the standard treatments like Melonite or Nickle Boron etc. I don't like anything that can either Chip or add material to clearances.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I guess I am with those that prefer to leave it as is or go with a treatment instead.

The Hostile Environment finish on HKs, IMO, seems pretty darn durable. I have seen 90s HK USPs that served as duty weapons that still look great. On my own 2004 pistol that sees a lot of holster use it still looks great. I don't mind the looks and it functions well, so I just don't see the need to refinish.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
As others have said, you will never get it to look just like stainless unless it is stainless. Hard chrome is a good choice. Personally, I favor NP3 and NP3Plus.

Here is a fine example from one of our forum members:

NP3 is $120 for slide only and NP3 Plus is $160.

Click here for more info: Robar's NP3 Plus Finish

It's an excellent finish.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
this is CCR CP2, its more nickle silver than SS silver. Hard Chrome would be your best match if you want that look...........

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I'm not a fan of any of the "paints" or coatings. ..not to say they don't work but I prefer the standard treatments like Melonite or Nickle Boron etc. I don't like anything that can either Chip or add material to clearances.
Nickle-Boron isn't really a "standard" finish. It's also not a treatment, it's a plating......Hard-Chrome and NP3 are also plating. All plating can chip if performed improperly, including Nickle-Boron. Nickle Boron also adds material to clearances, and a well applied Hard-Chrome or NP3 won't bind up clearances any more than Nickle-Boron will.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
That part on the usp slide that patrudes out when there is a plus 1 is called? Can it be takin off for slide to get hard chromed?
Extractor? It looks like a little claw on the right side of the breechface, that grabs the rim of the cartridge to pull it out of the chamber.

Yes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
YOu can get ionbond in black, Flat Dark Earth, Copper, and Gray. I dont know how close the gray is going to be to what you want. Springers precision in OR does it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts