HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like it says. which size you guys use? how u like them? thinking black rear with fo front. same model for both weapons? thanks

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm not sure they will work for the P2000. When I had Dawson initially build the sights, I sent them a P30L slide, so that's the only sight cut that they will absolutely work with. As far as size: I've had Dawson make a number of different combonations. .125" wide front with .140" rear notch; .115" wide front with .130" rear notch; and .100" front with .110" rear notch. As you go down in size, the 'ratio' of front sight width-to-rear sight notch gets tighter. It's really just your call on what you are wanting to see. I like all of the sight sets, but am currently using the .100 x .110 set-up for competition, and really like it. There is still plenty of light on the sides of the front sight, but it's tight enough (and the front sight is thin enough) to confidently hit a 50 yard shot on an IPSC target. Also, up close, it's easier (for me) to hit a specific area I'm shooting at with the narrow .100" front sight. Like a head shot on an IPSC target at 10 yards--I have an easier time shooting the small A-zone in the head, as opposed to just shooting at the whole head.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I started a similar topic a while back and didn't get much info. Curious to see if anyone chimes in here. I'd love to get a matching set of Dawson's on my SK and HK45C.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I started a similar topic a while back and didn't get much info. Curious to see if anyone chimes in here. I'd love to get a matching set of Dawson's on my SK and HK45C.
What more info would you like? The sights were only made for a P30. If you want a set for your SK, give them a call and tell them what you want. If they are willing to make them (they only will if they feel there is enough of a demand, and they can make some money), send them your slide. It will take a few months for them to map out the sights, draw them in CAD and mill them. Each time I requested a new sight, it cost me about $60 to $70, so figure up to $140 for a front and rear set. Once the first set is made (and it's just another CAD file for them), they will be the standard price, which is $39 for a fiber optic front, or plain black rear.

As far as the HK45C: To the best of my knowledge, the P30 and HK45 share the same dovetail (but I don't have one, so I may be wrong). That doesn't mean the sights are interchangeable, however, as the HK45 (or C) may have a taller or shorter front sight. Only way to know would be to measure your front sight with a caliper (assuming the cut is the same).

Let me know if I can help at all.

·
Registered
88 Posts
More info I'm looking for... The Dawson site claims the sights fit the "P-Series," but has anyone has actually fitted one of these to their P2000SK? If so, what size did they order? How did it work out? What is the stock height/width of the factory sights? Does anyone know for sure that the P30 and HK45/HK45C share the same dovetail? Could one of these Dawson sights be used on both guns? Is there a difference in what you had custom made versus the "P-Series" offerings on their website?

As much as I'd like a set of Dawson's, I have no interest in having the slides for both of my guns at their facility for a few months.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Like it says. which size you guys use? how u like them? thinking black rear with fo front. same model for both weapons? thanks
Just had their black rear with red FO front fitted a couple weeks ago. Used that setup for the first time in a 2gun match this past weekend and REALLY happy with it versus the blacked-out 3dot factory sights I'd been using prior. Using the .100W front with .135W rear as I wanted plenty of light. Long shots were not a problem, as the edges of the Dawsons are VERY crisp compared to the factory sights.
This is a P30L used strictly for competition.....

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
are you guys putting these on yourself? any problems?
I recommend going slow with these. Rely on the metal to hold it in place, not the loctite. I had my front come loose on a classifier, where there was a lot of strong/weak hand shooting. I got 6 mikes on that stage and was upset with myself, especially when I noticed the sight was hanging off the gun.

Lesson learned, don't take too much off the sight when fitting.

·
Registered
430 Posts
More info I'm looking for... The Dawson site claims the sights fit the "P-Series," but has anyone has actually fitted one of these to their P2000SK? If so, what size did they order? How did it work out? What is the stock height/width of the factory sights? Does anyone know for sure that the P30 and HK45/HK45C share the same dovetail? Could one of these Dawson sights be used on both guns? Is there a difference in what you had custom made versus the "P-Series" offerings on their website?

As much as I'd like a set of Dawson's, I have no interest in having the slides for both of my guns at their facility for a few months.
What I had 'custom made' is what is currently available on the site. The 'custom' part is just the first schmuck (me) willing to pay twice as much to have them take a slide, and CAD draw the part. After that, it's just a standard, stocked item.

Looking at the slide of a P2000, I'd say no, these will not fit. The P30 and P2000 do not have the same dovetail. I suspect Dawson doesn't realize that the P30 and P2000 are both considered 'P-series' pistols. They are much more focused on the more common competition type pistols, and probably don't have a lot of experience with HK weapons--especially the new stuff. I recall telling them when I had them make the sights that they would work for the P30, P30L and HK45, but that apparently didn't make it onto the site.

As far as the HK45: the sights for the P30 and HK45 (and C) have the same part numbers (the HK part numbers, not the Dawson part numbers), indicating they are the same part, so the Dawson sights for the P30 will work for the HK45. Front sight height *should* be the same (since the HK part numbers have the same multiple height offerings for both P30 and HK45), but you never know until you install them and shoot them.

Keep in mind that HK offers 3 different heights for their front sights, as every gun is a little different. When I sent Dawson my slide, I measured my front sight with a caliper and determined it to be .170", which is what I had them make the new front sight. But this was for my gun only, and my desired POA / POI. I see both taller and shorter heights on the Dawson site now, which likely means that other people called them up and asked for a different height front sight. You could remove your front sight and measure it, and know for sure which height to get. I had them make the rear sight the same height as the factory rear sight, so you won't have to factor that into the equation--only front sight height.

As far as installation, I have never had a problem doing it myself. The sights come with an aluminum drift, made specifically for installing Dawson sights. The only thing I'd caution everyone about is putting the slide in a vise. Be careful not to crank down on it too much, and risk cracking the slide.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have green rear and red front on my P30. They're great in daylight, but not much good in low or night light.

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
I can't speak to the models you listed but I can tell you that I just converted one VP9 to Dawson's with the solid black rear and the red F/O front. I love the sights and just received my second order for a similar pair for my second VP9. If I had a P30 I wouldn't hesitate to install them on that as well. As far as installation goes I used Marine0303 on this forum. Incredible service, extremely professional, more than reasonably priced and I had the sights installed and back to me in less than a week. Here is what the Dawson red F/O sight looks like on my VP9.

Dawson FO Front.JPG

1 - 13 of 13 Posts