• Expert 9mm

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • Expert 45acp

Votes: 3 5.7%
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Take whichever one youndecide is/will be your primary defensive weapon. Take a backup of the same caliber. No sense in having to get two cases of ammo to lug along.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You will be learning defensive skills at school that you will be able to use no matter what gun you shoot, as long as you shoot it well and practice regularly with it. I recommend the 9mm because you'll be shooting LOTS of rounds over a few days, a much higher volume of rounds than you probably regularly fire and it will be easier on your hands, especially if you use the Expert. 1000 rounds of .45 hardball vs 1000 rounds of 9mm ball over a few days results in a lot more soreness for your hands. After you learn new skills at school or reinforce those you already have you can practice them with whatever gun/caliber you desire.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You will be learning defensive skills at school that you will be able to use no matter what gun you shoot, as long as you shoot it well and practice regularly with it.
Good point.

Personally, I'd bring two if not three firearms to class....thats just me. All the same caliber. Having said that, the 9mm may be the best choice for a variety of reasons.

Being a masochist I'd bring along the HK45 to run in through a great class and real world scenarios. Nothing like a good class to force to become that much more familiar with a new gun.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Well the cost did enter my mind but it isn't that much more. I am wanting to get the most from this trip since it is going to cost a lot when all said and done. I am all for saving a few bucks but not sure that is the right way to go, decisions decisions!!!!
+1 ditto on cost and taking the 9mm, but take what you will use in a real life situation if your ever in a situation where your life depends on it. In the stress of a real life threat, you will do what you have practiced.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If dtibbals is willing to purchase a second HK45 to have as a backup gun, then ammo costs are probably irrelevant. Trigger time with the gun you are going to use if your life depends on it is what is most important- lots of trigger time.

Practice under stress: get some airsoft guns and shoot force on force or buy some paintball guns and buy a few hay bails or head to the woods or a local paintball field.

Tactical training and competitve shooting (IDPA not race gun IPSC) are both good- its about speed and shot placement. Why do think some of the best "high speed, low drag" units train with guys like Jerry Barnhart and others- its about speed and shot placement. You practice, practice, practice to build muscle memory- muscle memory is subconscious, it become reflexive and that is what may save you or someone else's life.... my $0.02's

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
If dtibbals is willing to purchase a second HK45 to have as a backup gun, then ammo costs are probably irrelevant. Trigger time with the gun you are going to use if your life depends on it is what is most important- lots of trigger time.

Practice under stress: get some airsoft guns and shoot force on force or buy some paintball guns and buy a few hay bails or head to the woods or a local paintball field.

Tactical training and competitve shooting (IDPA not race gun IPSC) are both good- its about speed and shot placement. Why do think some of the best "high speed, low drag" units train with guys like Jerry Barnhart and others- its about speed and shot placement. You practice, practice, practice to build muscle memory- muscle memory is subconscious, it become reflexive and that is what may save you or someone else's life.... my $0.02's
Yup your 100% correct. I feel the same way, I shoot IDPA and other sports involving a pistol. I want to get better at shooting a pistol beyond shooting at stationary paper targets at an indoor range. This class is going to take me to another level. I have won IDPA matches before and usually always place in or towards the top. I want to improve upon my skills in using a pistol, those skills can come into play in competition shooting and saving a life (I hope this is never needed!!).

Yea I don't intend to sound bad but cost is not a big deal. If this was a several thousand dollar gun then maybe I would think twice about buying a second one as a back up. I will probably take 3 guns total, two of which will be the HK45. I am visiting family back in Kansas all week and brought the HK45 with me to spend some real time with it. I am going to put about a 1000 rounds through it this week when I have time to kill and see what I really think about it. I have only shot around 30 rounds through it and like it but I really want to understand this pistol before I put it in the defensive role.

Dave

·
Registered
121 Posts
Good luck in your class at FrontSight. Some time back, I attended a subgun class there- had a lot of fun and learned some stuff as well. Merry Xmas.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts