HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
New to this forum on commented a couple of times. I've done lots of reading but find I have to ask. I'm a 1911 guy and have been for years but I keep hearing about HK. So, what do you feel is the best .45 in HK. I know there is a Butt for every seat but a few opinions would at least let me read more about them. I only have one HK and it's a safe queen bought in 1971 and never shot. Don't do me much good so I'm going to sell or trade it and get a gun I can put some ammo downrange. If anyone has a suggestion please let me know. I'm just an older guy kind of set in my ways but from what I read HK is a darn good gun..

Thanks everyone!!!

Alaska

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am partial to my USP Tactical. This said, a USP .45 fullsize with a match trigger kit dropped in would suffice for most. I needed the benefit of the raised sights and threaded barrel. The capacity in this weapon is good, the match trigger is amazing to me, the weapon is lightweight compared to metal framed pistols and the recoil management is simply amazing for such a lightweight package. My advice would be to absolutely look at this setup for a desirable fullsize .45. Of course the newer HK45 is all the rave, but in my personal opinion the USP gives the user more options and versatility at this time. Good luck with whatever you decide, and I'm sure you will soon fall in love with a new HK!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Its a subjective question...it depends on what you are intending to do with it...carry gun? Target gun? Home Defense?

You have the USP compact (USPc) the USP full size the HK45 the HK45c and the Mark23...your grip size, the state you live in and how much you are willing to fork out are what will matter...you really CAN'T make a bad choice....

Coming from 1911-land, be ready for a helluva education...you are going to LOATHE the trigger for the initial couple thousand rounds..

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
HK45 full size has your name written all over it. It is thinner like a 1911, can be carried cocked and locked. Was designed by Vickers and Hackathorne two long time and still current 1911 fanboys. Oh and did I mention the grip and the fact it holds 10 rds instead of 7 or 8. I find the trigger on the HK45 perfectly fine for what it was designed to be. A no nonsense fighting pistol, with all the advantages of a 1911. But maybe I'm biased! LOL

·
Registered
437 Posts
That 1971 HK safe queen is probably not worth a hill of beans now, so I am sure one of the kind hearted members here might be willing to take it off your hands for a couple hundred to help you make room for your new favorite gun.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
HK 45 without a doubt. If you set it up with a Variant 9, it will be a cocked and locked arrangement just like your 1911 with the added benefit of being able to keep the gun with the safety on to chamber a round.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
HK 45 without a doubt. If you set it up with a Variant 9, it will be a cocked and locked arrangement just like your 1911 with the added benefit of being able to keep the gun with the safety on to chamber a round.
...and it will run.

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
I've got 2 in this setup that work well for a former 1911 user.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
"Coming from 1911-land, be ready for a helluva education...you are going to LOATHE the trigger for the initial couple thousand rounds.."

Yes and no, the HK45 has a pretty good SA. I own several 1911s of various manufactures, and most out-of-the-box 1911's don't has a SA any better than an HK45. Some of my 1911s don't have a trigger pull as nice as the SA pull of an HK45. Now the DA of an HK45 is a different matter, tends to have a lot of creep in it.

In answer to your question, my choice is the HK45. I am a big 1911 fan, and currently own ten. They range from a Norinco to an Ed Brown, with many different makes and models in between. My HK45s and HK45c are just as accurate, have just as good a SA, and the ergonomics are as good as any of those 1911s I own. *

*Exception in accuracy and trigger is the Ed Brown Target, but that would be expected.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did check out You Tube and liked both the USP and the 45. I had a Springfield XD but hated the block look and feel. The HK45 may be a little better for me coming from a Colt 1911. Oh and I am retired police. I still carry a 1911 full time up here in Alaska. Got to love Alaska gun laws!!!!

LazurusLong... Yeah you may be right about that I haven’t even looked around to see what they are selling for in years! Lol it’s a HK model 4 commemorative gun for R/H 100th year. The 9mm short or as we call it .380 with the .22lr too in the wooden display box. Fancy I admit gold inlay gun all the stuff with it but it’s great if that is what you want. It’s just I would rather have a shooter. I’m old enough any gun I have now will be SHOT. Lol.

We have a local thing going on up here with Facebook. I think I may end up just getting a few of us together and go out and try both of them out and just see which one feels good to me. I've seen several guys telling how much they like them so shooting them both I'm sure would be the wise thing.

Thanks for the feedback!!!!!! This is great being able to come to where the shooters are to learn..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah I have been shooting 1911s for years now and I just picked up an HK45. What an excellent .45!! If you like 1911s, you'll like the HK45.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It looked good on youtube and I could see it was more like the 1911 when I saw it. I still think I will need to shoot both to make up my mind. Some things will be different I know but the HK45 is what I'm excited to try so far. Like I said I'm old school and so use to the 1911 it will take a little time getting use to the new frame. Your talking to a guy who in the 80s tried out a computer using five and a half inch disks to play PONG! lol. I said the computer would never make it. Dang, can't be right all the time I guess.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
You are here now, that's a step, and from the sound of it, you're not much older than me. And you're right, who would'a thought that computer thing would'a been such a smash hit?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Thanks for the question Alaska might prove quite helpful in my own search, I have been looking and considering possible options, I am also a 1911 fan. Looked at a friends Springfield XD but not happy with the trigger feel. Never cared for Glocks, just don't feel right. I Tried looking up info on the Variant 9 mentioned in this thread and only cursory info that posters already mentioned. Am I correct that it will make the gun run more like a 1911? I fired a couple HK P7? years ago that were state police issue and they impressed me (the first one did which was cherry, the second was surplused out at the end of its service life and the accurracy of the gun was an entirely different experience than the new one. New one was a rapid fire tack driver and has had me wanting to add a HK pistol. What held me up was prior to getting my CCWs could not justify spending the dough, that and learning an entirely new pistol. The HK45 might be the one I have been looking for. Thanks for all the great info.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, who would have thunk! lol. My last year of high school I took a typing class because that's where the girls were and I needed a class that was easy. Little whould I know that class came to be the one class that helped me most. I'm still not tweeting or bloging though. Hey, you have to draw a line somewhere. lol

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Sounds like you and I went to the same high school...Typing 101. Anyway, welcome.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
As evidence by my membership and posting here, I love the HK brand. I am also a 1911 shooter at heart.

With that in mind, I can tell you that there is NO HK IMO that is anything like a fine custom 1911. 1911's can run (there, I said it), and for the purposes of this thread my 1911 references are to the 1911's that do run. The HK45 was designed with the 1911 in mind, but in no way are they sister handguns. The thing that sets the 1911 into a class of it's own is the trigger. The trigger encompasses the take up, break, and the reset. There is nothing else like a tuned 1911 trigger and the way it shoots.

The HK45 is an excellent gun, but it's that on it's own---not excellent like a 1911 or any other gun--it has it's own excellence if that makes sense. It flat runs, and it is one third to one fifth the cost of a 1911/2011 that will run in the same manner. If you want to get the HK45 be prepared for learning to shoot a different platform, because that's what it is!

Coming from by 1911 background, I heard all of the paralleled comments about these two; and after shooting the HK45 extensively, I could not disagree more. If you want an amazing 1911 that will run, PM me. If you want the HK, they are all outstanding.

My .02!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
My favorite 45 HK would have to be the USP. I own two of them.

But if you're used to 1911 then the HK45 is a smarter choice.

-DBLAction454

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do understand what your saying. I'm not sure I can make the adjustment after all these years but I'm willing to learn. I don't know if I could ever be able to replace my 1911's but shooting a different gun along with the 1911's would not be so bad. Just because I'm a fan of one don't mean I can't enjoy a different platform. I have several Colt series 70 and a couple 80s that I really enjoy. I just picked up a new Ruger 1911 and it needs some ammo down range but after I oiled it I was a bit surprised at how well it shot out of the box. The things I've heard about HK is for the most part all good from the people who own and shoot them. That's why I came to this forum. I still think I will just have to have a few guys over and try the HK's out for myself.
Thanks for the imput!! Good stuff.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts