HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at them for a while now and I will get one after some bills clear out. I like the USP a lot. It's kind of a plain looking gun, but it's still sort of sleek in it's own way.

I also think the P30 and the HK45's are a pretty wicked looking gun. Of cours I wouldn't buy one based strictly on looks... but I'd like it to not be a ugly sob either lol.

Which one do you guys like?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I own a lot of pistols and my P30 is the gun I have I like to shoot the most just buy what fits you don't base it on looks

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I own a lot of pistols and my P30 is the gun I have I like to shoot the most just buy what fits you don't base it on looks
No, of course not... but some guns are indeed just ugly as hell. I'm just speaking in general ... when you look at your P30 do you say... God I love the way the gun shoots, looks, everything about it?

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
Whatever you do, don't make the same mistake I did. DO NOT hold the P30. Never. Ever! Don't say I didn't warn ya.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I like the looks of the p30l better than the p30. Shoots like a dream too.

He is correct OP, do not hold it or that will be the end of your wallet.

·
Registered
437 Posts
P30L is the sexy beast. You cannot tell me that this gun's ferocious yet elegant appearance is an entirely accidental byproduct of form following function. Someone at HK spent a lot of time doodling guns on his notebooks when he was a schoolboy, I think.

Of course the P2000SK is that cute kind of ugly, like the little bulldog you can't help but love. Gotta say the MP5SD with collapsing stock, and the MP7 are also worthy of some drool. Guess I wouldn't mind looking over an MG4 either.

Bottom line is they are all gorgeous.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the looks of the p30l better than the p30. Shoots like a dream too.

He is correct OP, do not hold it or that will be the end of your wallet.
yeah... p30L is nice... but to use as a possible CCW later, it's quite a big gun for that isn't it? Some say (just what I read) that the P30 actually shoots better in terms of accuracy.... which I don't quite understand how.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have been carrying a P30L for a couple years now as my primary CCW, and full size semi auto handguns for nearly 20 years. With a considered choice of carry gear and an open mind about the 'right' way to carry, one can CCW just about anything if one puts one's mind to finding a solution that works instead of resigning oneself to the idea that it cannot be done.

My P30L is far more accurate than I am. People who are finding the shorty more accurate are not keeping a strong enough wrist and grip, which will interfere with the P30L's operation more than the P30.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Which HK looks the best? The HK33 (or 93, just as well).

When I find the money to buy a carbine for play, it's going to be a 93. An HK93 with 40 round mags is just the coolest looking assault rifle ever.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been carrying a P30L for a couple years now as my primary CCW, and full size semi auto handguns for nearly 20 years. With a considered choice of carry gear and an open mind about the 'right' way to carry, one can CCW just about anything if one puts one's mind to finding a solution that works instead of resigning oneself to the idea that it cannot be done.

My P30L is far more accurate than I am. People who are finding the shorty more accurate are not keeping a strong enough wrist and grip, which will interfere with the P30L's operation more than the P30.
yeah? I'll have to keep that in mind when I make my final decision about which HK to get. I was pretty stuck on the USP with the reliability, the recoil reduction, etc etc. I like the HK45c a lot, but i'd like to stay away from the .45 simply because the cost of ammo is going up and the 9mm is always going to be cheaper to shoot. The USP also doesn't have the wide array of grip possibilities that my Wife may find to be more comfortable than the standard grip like the USP has.

If I may ask, how do you carry the P30L? Holster selection, etc? I'm sure longer and bigger shirts help of course.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Shoulder holster (have herniated discs and it doesn't bother my lower back) and I'll carry owb at 4-5 o'clock if the back is doing well

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,372 Posts
I've always been a huge fan of the MP5SD, since I first saw it during Operation NIMROD. That's why it was the first HK SMG I bought. More recently, I've been impressed with the look and feel of my HK53. At only two inches longer than my MP5-N, it is a great balance of size and firepower.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Carrying the P30L: for me, I carry inside the waistband at 6 o'clock (center of back) most of the time. A loose fitting T shirt or polo does fine for concealment; the thoughtfully curved, rounded, beveled, and smoothed shape of the P30L's slide and grip prevent any corners from making little telltale pointy bumps on the back of the shirt. I keep my belt tight so the handgun presses firmly into the curve of my back and the hang of the shirt off my shoulders keeps the shirt from bumping out and showing the gun. When carrying this way you have to remember to squat instead of bending at the waist when you want to pick something up or get down low; that's actually better for your back anyway and I am old enough that I need to think about that. When you sit down, especially in a car, make sure to tug up your shirt in back just a little so you don't sit on the tail of it, or else you will not be able to get to the gun quickly. I really like this for in the car because it is so easy to get to the gun without interference from the seatbelt; all I have to do is lean forward a bit and I can get to the gun without taking my other hand off the wheel.

Occasionally I do carry up front; if I am going someplace crowded where I am likely to get bumped into, for the most part. I have enough of a belly, sadly, that the gun disappears below the hang of the shirt off my middle. This can get rather uncomfortable when seated for long periods of time, and it was downright brutal when I rode some crazy roller coasters at an amusement park with my P30L in front. Also makes it much more difficult to get the gun out when seated, especially in the car with the seatbelt on. And I personally am a bit slower on the front draw than the back draw, and usually need both hands for the front draw while I can execute a one handed draw from the back with ease.

The holster itself is just a nylon bag type with straps on both sides for inserting the belt clips on either side for a variety of carrying options. You can even put two clips on the same side for added stability if you like, but I find one to be adequate as long as I keep my belt tight. A lot of the purists and tactical types will demand that nothing but leather or kydex will do. I know they have a lot of reasons and most of them are absolutely spot on, but I have a drawer full of leather and kydex I won't wear because I find it to be bulky, sweaty, and uncomfortable when worn inside the pants, and I just cannot find a way to adequately conceal a full size pistol outside the pants unless I am wearing a suit or jacket. The nylon breathes, abosorbs moisture, and feels at least to me like it gives up the gun a lot more easily on the draw. I keep the belt on tight enough so retention is not a problem; I have worn it jogging, cycling, and a lot of other vigorous activities. Lots of guys have reasons for carrying on the side too, at 3 o'clock, 4 o'clock and the like, and I am sure they also have a lot of valid reasons. For me, the big advantages of carrying at high noon or 6 o'clock are that I can get to the gun easily with either hand, and the shape (somewhat doughy) of my body does a good job of concealing the gun in these locations. I have seen a lot of guys with their guns at the sides who think they are well concealed, and to the untrained or distracted eye they are, but I can usually spot the asymmetric profile from the front or behind because I am always looking to see who else in the room besides me might have something under their shirt besides belly button lint.

There are lots of options out there, so don't take my word for it. Read up about all of them, talk to people you know, then try a few different things if possible to find out what works for you. The P30L is a great carry gun.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Carrying the P30L: for me, I carry inside the waistband at 6 o'clock (center of back) most of the time. A loose fitting T shirt or polo does fine for concealment; the thoughtfully curved, rounded, beveled, and smoothed shape of the P30L's slide and grip prevent any corners from making little telltale pointy bumps on the back of the shirt. I keep my belt tight so the handgun presses firmly into the curve of my back and the hang of the shirt off my shoulders keeps the shirt from bumping out and showing the gun. When carrying this way you have to remember to squat instead of bending at the waist when you want to pick something up or get down low; that's actually better for your back anyway and I am old enough that I need to think about that. When you sit down, especially in a car, make sure to tug up your shirt in back just a little so you don't sit on the tail of it, or else you will not be able to get to the gun quickly. I really like this for in the car because it is so easy to get to the gun without interference from the seatbelt; all I have to do is lean forward a bit and I can get to the gun without taking my other hand off the wheel.

Occasionally I do carry up front; if I am going someplace crowded where I am likely to get bumped into, for the most part. I have enough of a belly, sadly, that the gun disappears below the hang of the shirt off my middle. This can get rather uncomfortable when seated for long periods of time, and it was downright brutal when I rode some crazy roller coasters at an amusement park with my P30L in front. Also makes it much more difficult to get the gun out when seated, especially in the car with the seatbelt on. And I personally am a bit slower on the front draw than the back draw, and usually need both hands for the front draw while I can execute a one handed draw from the back with ease.

The holster itself is just a nylon bag type with straps on both sides for inserting the belt clips on either side for a variety of carrying options. You can even put two clips on the same side for added stability if you like, but I find one to be adequate as long as I keep my belt tight. A lot of the purists and tactical types will demand that nothing but leather or kydex will do. I know they have a lot of reasons and most of them are absolutely spot on, but I have a drawer full of leather and kydex I won't wear because I find it to be bulky, sweaty, and uncomfortable when worn inside the pants, and I just cannot find a way to adequately conceal a full size pistol outside the pants unless I am wearing a suit or jacket. The nylon breathes, abosorbs moisture, and feels at least to me like it gives up the gun a lot more easily on the draw. I keep the belt on tight enough so retention is not a problem; I have worn it jogging, cycling, and a lot of other vigorous activities. Lots of guys have reasons for carrying on the side too, at 3 o'clock, 4 o'clock and the like, and I am sure they also have a lot of valid reasons. For me, the big advantages of carrying at high noon or 6 o'clock are that I can get to the gun easily with either hand, and the shape (somewhat doughy) of my body does a good job of concealing the gun in these locations. I have seen a lot of guys with their guns at the sides who think they are well concealed, and to the untrained or distracted eye they are, but I can usually spot the asymmetric profile from the front or behind because I am always looking to see who else in the room besides me might have something under their shirt besides belly button lint.

There are lots of options out there, so don't take my word for it. Read up about all of them, talk to people you know, then try a few different things if possible to find out what works for you. The P30L is a great carry gun.
Yes I can imagine... nothing like riding a rollercoaster with your gun in case of a driveby lol... I kid, but it did strike me funny. Thank you for your info though. I want something that eventually I can CC, but being in Md. we have to wait until probably next year before the law passes. There was actually a business owner here who was denied his CCP because when he put how much money he carried as 10,000.00 or more that was not considered enough. I cannot imagine that this world would come to that. What sort of sissys REALLy run this place? Oh well, the law was deemed unconstitutional and so they are trying to fight it, but it will in all likelyhood change.... i'll be getting my CCP asap when it does change.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I know it sounds nuts to have a pistol on a rollercoaster..but who knows where the next Jared Laughner or James Holmes is going to show up? My wife didn't know I had it with me until we had been there most of the day or she would have objected strenuously to my bringing it in the park...she thinks I get a bit carried away at times, but I would rather be carried away than carried out. Maryland's laws are in need of a change...I had to leave my handgun home a few years ago on a trip to Boston because MD was the only state on my travel itinerary that did not honor my state's CCW license. Make sure you vote in November and get active in demanding some sanity in your state legislature.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts