HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been talking with Jayson, and since he has advised me not to use any type of mount on a suppressor, and the fact that I want to keep the rubber SD handguard, I asked him if he could perhaps cut out a small 1x2 notch out of the bottom of the rubber hand guard and weld a rail onto the SD cage for me.

He said he could probably do this, he just has to figure out exactly how.

So since I am going to have him just add a single rail onto the bottom of the SD cage, I am going to go with a Laser & Light combo.

But which one?

I have found three different ones, does anyone know which one is best and why?

Streamlight M-6X Tactical Laser Illuminator M6X Light (Fits Long Guns with 1913 Rails)

Streamlight TLR-2 Rail Mounted Tactical Light with Laser Sight

Insight Technology M6X TLI Tactical Laser Illuminator Long Gun / Pistol Weapon Mounted Flashlight

Are those about it for the combo units? Is there perhaps another one out there that rivals the three listed above?

·
2,832 Posts
I have the Streamlight TLR-2 on my SP89 and am very happy with it, but man they went up in price,when I got mine(they had just come out) I paid just over $200.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have the Streamlight TLR-2 on my SP89 and am very happy with it, but man they went up in price,when I got mine(they had just come out) I paid just over $200.
Not to interrupt but it is something I looked into very recently.....
The TLR-1 that I purchased last week was less than $100. Is the addition of a red laser really worth $150?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Other than the $150 price difference between the two Streamlight's, the only other thing that I found to be really different was the type of bulb in the flashlight.

The TRL-2 has 3W LED'S giving it 80 lumens, with a life of up to 20k hours and the MX-6 has Incandescent, xenon-filled bulbs but is 125 lumens and has a shorter run time. (more than half)

So what else is so different between these two for the drastic price increase?

I would think that even though the LED'S aren't as bright, will be much longer lasting over all.

What is the max distance the laser is visable to? (I would assume all the lasers on all 3 models are pretty much the same? They say around 650nm.

The Insight Tech MX-6 seems to be an exact replica of the Streamlight MX-6, but is $100 cheaper. Does that make any sense? Is it a cheaply built clone or something?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And for all of these models, how are the lights activated? By turning a dial or switch on the back of them?

Are any of these compatiable with a pressure pad?

·
Registered
93 Posts
fyi

650nm is the wavelength of the red light in nanometers. I think most red ones are around 682nm if memory serves and the green ones are 532nm. As far as how far away they are visible, daylight is 10 meters and 3-400 at night, maybe more depending on conditions. Green ones are much more visible as the eye is more receptive to green light but they are also much more costly and not available as a combination unit with a light to the best of my knowledge.

-Jon

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,392 Posts
You can get the M6X with a pressure pad.

I own both a M6X and a TRL-2. I have to say that the TRL-2 is a much better light, hands down. It's not as bright as the M6X, but it does have a metal body Vs. plastic. You can also adjust it so that it fits snug on the gun. The TRL-2 is also a much smaller light.

I have had no problems with either unit.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Other than the $150 price difference between the two Streamlight's, the only other thing that I found to be really different was the type of bulb in the flashlight.

The TRL-2 has 3W LED'S giving it 80 lumens, with a life of up to 20k hours and the MX-6 has Incandescent, xenon-filled bulbs but is 125 lumens and has a shorter run time. (more than half)
Am not sure if you where referencing me but, the one I purchased was model #TRL-1 same as the #TRL-2 less the red laser.

Given that the light output is the same, is the addition of an inexpensive red laser really worth an additional $150?

I feel the TRL-1 is a bargin at sub $100, but the TRL-2 at close to $250 is on the high side.

Both models can accept the pressure pad for close to $75. TRL-2 has a toggle switch to activate the laser on of off but the master switch is the same on both models a thumb rotator switch.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well unless there is something that can rival the TRL-2 in price and construction, I think that will be the one I will get and since it is compatiable with the pressure pad, that just pushed it over the edge.

I do really like the laser aspect of it, and it seems that $150 is about average for the laser end of it. So I figure, what the heck. If I'm spending close to 5k on a gun, another $150 won't put me in the hole. :)

What does the pressure pad control? Just the light? How does it attach to the gun? Just with a sticky pad of some kind?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts