HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been posted so hold the attacks.

I know many LEA who carry Sigs and Glocks but don't know the ones who carry H&k's.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
I believe border patrol did at one time. No firsthand experience myself though.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we have them to thank for the P2000 and the LEM trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Which is also why Taylor Freelance made some +5s that are border patrol specials. I guess they helped design?? I have a few and they're great

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
If I remember correctly, Border Patrol agents specifically requested an extension and Taylor Freelance made them for them, hence them being "Border Patrol Specials"

They're still issued them, too. I live in a FLETC town and a lot of them go to the same indoor range as me so the range keeps stock of like 10 P2000 LEM in .40 for rentals (in addition to all of the other federal LEO service weapons)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
My local police dept carry USP 40's. They have been offered different guns by many companies but they refuse to give up the USP.

·
Registered
585 Posts
when i worked narcotics the uniformed patrol carried Glock 22s and my unit carried the USP40 with a USP40c as a backup in the tac vest

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Los Angeles County Sheriff authorizes the following USP 45 HK 45 P9S P7 series. I carried USP 45 for 13 years also carried P7M13 from time to time as station gun.(not patrol) All guns are owned by the individual. Dept issues Beretta 92F and currently S&W MP 9 mm. Many other brands are also authorized in 9 or 45 only. The only ammo you can carry is Winchester Ranger in 9 147 grain and 230 grain in 45 JHP's. I retired in 2013 so there may be more changes that I am not familiar with.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I believe Maine State Police carry the HK45, and our town police department was carrying the USP 40, but may have gone to the HK45 as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Los Angeles County Sheriff authorizes the following USP 45 HK 45 P9S P7 series. I carried USP 45 for 13 years also carried P7M13 from time to time as station gun.(not patrol) All guns are owned by the individual. Dept issues Beretta 92F and currently S&W MP 9 mm. Many other brands are also authorized in 9 or 45 only. The only ammo you can carry is Winchester Ranger in 9 147 grain and 230 grain in 45 JHP's. I retired in 2013 so there may be more changes that I am not familiar with.
Good stuff!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I always try to look and see what they are carrying when I pass by officers at the mall and whatnot, but am never really able to tell from a cursory glance at the grip.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We had HK P7M8's and then switched to the Sig P228.

:-\

Still had the MP5's though.

:-D
That reminds me that our local county PD has a bunch of MP5s in the armory, too, but nobody ever uses them since the SWAT/SORT teams swapped to carbines.

And last time I was in DC for the Cherry Blossom Parade (five years ago) one of the police officers working security had a UMP .40

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nutley, NJ PD carried the HK USP Compact in .40 S&W at one time. I purchased a police trade in at my LGS last year and it came in a hard sided case labeled Nutley Police.

I don't know what they carry now.

As stated, CBP carries the P2000.

TSA FFDOs (commercial airline pilots) carry the USP Compact in .40.

I believe that ICE Agents carry the P2000sk in .40.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
I Bleed Urban Gray
2,903 Posts
We had HK P7M8's and then switched to the Sig P228.

Still had the MP5's though.
What agency Fargo?

Los Angeles County Sheriff authorizes the following USP 45 HK 45 P9S P7 series.
Aegis, I'm really surprised that in California they would sanction a P9S - not that I don't think it's super cool. I would think because it's such a legacy gun that they would be concerned about liability. I can see some criminal getting shot with one and then suing the department because of "extra" harm done by a 30+ year old gun and a liberal jury believing it.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
What agency Fargo?

Aegis, I'm really surprised that in California they would sanction a P9S - not that I don't think it's super cool. I would think because it's such a legacy gun that they would be concerned about liability. I can see some criminal getting shot with one and then suing the department because of "extra" harm done by a 30+ year old gun and a liberal jury believing it.
The gun was authorized in the early 80's along with the P7. At the time our swat switched to HK autos, (MP5.). HK made the P7 & P9S available for swat members to buy. I picked up a P7M13 for 400.00 bucks. I don't remember what the P9 went for. The division (inspector) now called( commander) at the time was an HK enthusiast and had them authorized departmentally. Very few were carried, the gun is not carried by many now as the gun is somewhat rare. There are still a couple of dept. armourers that can repair the P9 as mine had a broken trigger bar and they were able to repair it about a year and a half ago. As of six years ago there were approx 600 deputies carrying the USP 45. I have not doubt that there a more now..Patrol would not be carrying the P7 or P9, only off duty..I would on occasion have someone comment on my P7 when I was out of the station but not working patrol. I would have been assigned inside the station and out doing dept business. I have not carried my P9 much the last 30 years only occasionally as off duty gun. I just picked up a VP40 and carry it daily now.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I loved the P7M8, and haven't fell in love with another handgun as much since.

The truth is that they waited way too long to switch off it after HK stopped manufacturing it, and the parts were being end-of-lifed as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts