HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a standard suppressor for the Tactical. I have thought about getting one but not sure which one to look for.
Thanks,

Bill R.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not sure what is standard, but my Osprey looks great since it matches the contours of the HK. The Tirant ain't too shabby either.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by standard as there is really no such thing. The Seals use KAC suppressors for their HK's. I would recommend the two mentioned above: Silencerco Osprey or AAC TiRant, with a slight favor in .45 towards the Osprey.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
The KAC suppressor is specifically tuned for the USP 45 Tacticaland was designed in collaboration with HK. The booster has a spring rating engineered to function in perfect harmony with the cycling forces of the Tactical. I have both the Mark 23 suppressor and the Tactical suppressor from Knights. When the boosters are disassembled, one can see the springs are different. See below:

The recoil booster on the left is for the Tactical. The Booster on the right is for the Mark 23. I thought it was odd that the heavier spring would be for the lighter slide of the Tactical....'course I am not an engineer so what do I know?

Here they are mounted:

·
Registered
514 Posts
I almost bought a knights, that was until I realized you can't get different boosters for different hosts. Salty as it is, I don't wanna be tied to one caliber even if it's the only one I plan on running it on.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by standard as there is really no such thing. The Seals use KAC suppressors for their HK's. I would recommend the two mentioned above: Silencerco Osprey or AAC TiRant, with a slight favor in .45 towards the Osprey.
The TiRant is user serviceable and the Osprey isn't. Yes, it is nice to be able to use your regular sights but I have an issue if I can't take it apart for cleaning.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The TiRant is user serviceable and the Osprey isn't. Yes, it is nice to be able to use your regular sights but I have an issue if I can't take it apart for cleaning.
That's definitely a personal preference, as you know in .45 it's not necessary. Both cans are great, I was between these two and for me it came down to what my local dealer had in stock... a TiRant.

As for best sound suppression. The KAC USP-T may be more durable and built specifically with the HK in mind, but most on the silencer forums agree that the TiRant and Osprey are still generally quieter.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
If I am not mistaken KAC and B&T are the only suppressors that HK will warranty the pistol while using.(According to the user manuals)

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
PSG1 is correct to the best of my knowledge as well, unless HK has changed their stance.
Knights and B&T were the only ones HK recommended and warrantied for use with the Tactical and MK23.

It could have changed though with SOCOM using AAC products with HK now, as in the 416SD (M4-2000), and the Tirant-S with the Mk24.
Probably have to call HK and ask.

I do know of a few friends/customers who used other cans on their HK pistols, ran into issues, and HK said "your payin", but that was a couple years ago.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
I read that when the Mark 23 was being tested with a suppressor mounted the slide or frame ( forget which) would eventually get damaged if the recoil booster were tuned wrong. I am pretty sure the HK guys will be able to recognize what that damage is in the event that an other than KAC/B&T suppressor had been used. I think it took a few thousand rounds for the damage to occur though.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Not to side track the thread but does anyone know what the HK45CT manual recommends or limits one to using?

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
I almost bought a knights, that was until I realized you can't get different boosters for different hosts. Salty as it is, I don't wanna be tied to one caliber even if it's the only one I plan on running it on.
I presume you mean, for hosts other than the Mk23 or Tactical? I have the Mk23 suppressor and a booster for the Tactical. One suppressor, two guns.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
So, you want to use it on one of your HK45C FDE guns?
I wantt to know if my CT can will void the 45CTs warranty. Not that it matters.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
I wantt to know if my CT can will void the 45CTs warranty. Not that it matters.
My guess is, HK will either say it's not tested, and they have no business reason test it, so it's not covered by the warranty...or they will say nothing at all.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I asked the warranty question recently and nobody answered so I assume nobody has recent info. I've got an Osprey on the way and was curious. I just emailed HK customer service and I'll call today. I'll update you guys as soon as I find out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think a Knight is what my dealer has. I wasn't that impressed with the suppression. Seemed to reduce to about what a 9mm sounds like unsupressed. Not even quiet enough to not need ear muffs. Am I expecting too much to not need hearing protection while firing it. I know it will be louder than in the movies but was expecting less noise than I got. What is the expected noise level from a suppressed 45?

Bill

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
There are quieter cans out now. When the Knights was introduced, it was one of the quietest. 45acp is still fairly loud even suppressed. I can shoot mine outdoors without hearing protection just fine. Indoors I still cover my ears. Compared to the other lanes though, it's pretty quiet.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts