HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I need some help. I just bought an hk USP compact 45 in stainless and I'm very happy with the purchase but I want a blued hk. I'm torn between the full size hk 45 or the hk 45 compact tactical. I'm going to trade in a Springfield armory 1911 range officer for this upgrade. I know the mags of the hk45 compact and USP compact are the same so that's a plus but I'm torn because I don't know if I should get the full size or compact? If anyone could tell me their experiences with both please let me know and I don't have enough to buy both or else I would :(. If I were to get the hk45c I would probay get the tactical version.

Thanks in advance for your input!!

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
A lot depends on what you plan to do with the gun.

If it's mostly a gun you take to the range to shoot targets with, or go to competitions where you can wear it on an external belt holster, I'd say go with the full size one.

If you want to conceal carry it, or have it with you in your car / bag etc, go with the compact one.

The full size one has the new rough texture grips with the front finger grooves and the compact one has smooth grips which make it easier to carry.

An extended threaded barrel is available for either one of them

Both will probably outshoot the majority of shooters, but the full size one may be a touch more accurate due to barrel length and sight radius.

If you have small hands, the compact version has a bit smaller grip radius from what I can tell.
The recoil on both is very mild but the compact has a bit more recoil than the full size.

The HK45c seems to be all the rage right about now (There is actually a pretty good deal on a group by going in for the HK45c in FDE colour if you look at the other posts in the forum).

Eventually I'd say get both as they make a nice pair and depending on the floorplates you pick, you can share the 10 round magazines between the 2.

As far as which one to get first, I think the important point is what are you going to do with it? That would determine which should be the first purchase.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Are you getting a silencer? Are you using this as a carry piece? If the answer to both of those questions is no, you'd probably be more comfortable buying the regular size HK45. If the answer to question 1 is yes, get the compact tactical and enjoy shooting silenced. It is a joy :biggrin: If the answer to question 2 is yes, save the money over the tactical and get the regular HK45c.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I say go handle each one. The HK45 fullsize is light years better grip wise than the 45c. IMHO. I have the HK45c tactical and I would dump it in a second if it meant losing my HK45 full. But both of them have been nothing but reliable whichever you choose.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I was in the same boat a couple years ago. The most short, most spot on advice I received was to get what suits you 'now' - because you'll eventually have both. I ended up getting the HK45c first, since it was the more versatile of the two. You could run it concealed if you wanted, or run it big going the tactical route with threaded barrel and 10rd mags. I had the 45c for around a year - before I picked up the full size for dedicated HD, and bumped the 45c for CCW.

Both are tanks...soak up recoil - and are accurate. The 45c grip gets slick, but the smoother grip makes good for CCW. The full size grip is great...good full grip and good stick. I would try and shoot both - to weigh in on your decision.

·
Registered
615 Posts
A lot depends on what you plan to do with the gun.
^ This. If your only requirement is that it's blued, then either one will work. I'll be just fine with whatever you choose.
Handle one before you buy it. Some people that like the USPc don't like the HK45c grip. The spiderman grip on full size isn't my favorite to look at, but it fits my hand nicely.
As popular as the Hk45c seems to be, they pop up quite often on the for sale forum...whatever that indicates.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much everyone for all of the advice!! I guess I want the overall total package of overall experience and utility. I love my uspc stainless and purchased this pistol because it is no longer manufactured and just a great piece of German engineering and art (I've always wanted a stainless pistol...pics soon to come!). My purpose for this purchase is for concealed carry but also for SHTF moments (many operators have stated that their experience with the full size is great even in ccw environments). I know that getting both would be my ideal option but the finances just aren't there quite yet and I'm thinking which one would be first to purchase if I were to get both. The only benefit that is leaning me towards the hk45c is the mag compatibility with the USPc. But I hear quite a bit of negatives on the slippery grip on the hk45c. The full size is great and I love the 10 mag capacity BUT when I heard the compact can also get a 10 may capacity It made it EVEN MORE difficult. When i was at the shop mulling over the hk45c or uspc stainless the defining factor was the limited quantity of the stainless uspc. I guess I need that "AHA" moment that I had when I was at the shop. I've handled both and like them dead evenly... The 1911 I'm removing from my collection is because of the maintenance and because I am a huge HK fanatic now. I obviously do not want the decision to be made for me but I do want just some overall point of views from those outside of my own HK infested mind that says "[email protected]*k it man buy both, you deserve it!" Thank you again for all of your input!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Put a Hogue handall on the compact. I have a USPCT and the narrow grip made it feel unbalanced (very top-heavy) and difficult to hold when shooting compared to my USP full-size. Handall cured all that ailed it.

·
Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
1,023 Posts
the HK45 recoils a tad less than the HK45c. so depending from which plattform you are coming from.... that might be a point to consider. I came from 9mm and prefer the recoil of the HK45 over the HK45c.

My HK45 is HD and range only and occasionally open-carry backup gun for hiking (WA state... open carry).
For concealed carry you obviously want to go with the compact version. For concealed carrying I only carry 9mm so I'm happy with my HK45 as it was never acquired for concealed carry.

·
Super Moderator
6,047 Posts
Here is how it started for me.....USP 45, then HK45, then HK45c.

The HK45 is an amazing pistol, it is as accurate as you can shoot it. Perfect full size pistol, love the grip too.

The HK45c is a touch more snappy, and understandably so. It is shorter. But it is also dead balls accurate as soon as you get used to it. The trigger is a little different also I have found. Just a touch.

But all and all, I have carried both, put lots of rounds down range with both. And would never sell either. I am actually buying 2 more HK45's and HK45c's both. So that is how good they are. If you buy one, you will end up with the other. I would actually start with the compact if you are already used to them. Plus if you get used to the recoil impulse of the compact first, you won't be able to miss with the full size.

You really can't lose either way.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, in the likely event that at the end of it you purchase both at some point, I would lean towards the full size first just for a little diversity as you already have a .45 compact. If you enjoy shooting the 1911, while not exactly apples to apples, it will also keep a full size .45 in the rotation. I have both and love both, it would put tears in my eyes to see my HK45c go, but I simply would not be parted from my HK45. Like I said, if the story ends the same way, get full size first.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
OP, pay close attention to all the comments regarding the different grips. I.e., some like this better, some like that better. Personally, I went the USPc .45/HK45/HK45C route. I still have the USPc .45 and two HK45Cs. The grip on the HK45 full size simply did not work for me.

Also, I feel that the full size pistol really doesn't do anything that the compact won't. Again personally, I think the little bit of extra sight radius and VERY little bit of added velocity afforded by the longer barrel/slide are rather inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. You want two more rounds on board? Change magazines. OTOH, if the full size grip fits YOU better... then there ya go. You'll be able to shoot it better; period.

The "You'll end up with both" mantra is, unfortunately for your wallet, probably true. Or, as in my case, you'll end up with two of whichever version you prefer...:wink:

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Grip preference varies with the individual.

The HK45 was originally designed with the same grip as is on the production HK45C and this was designed to mimic as much as possible the M1911 grip preferred by many armed professionals. The original design was intended for some Army trials that were never held.

For some reason -- I'm guessing marketing -- HK decided to put the P30 "finger thingie" grip on the HK45 which eliminated it from my consideration as that grip does not fit my hand at all. Nor does it allow a fast grip on the pistol from the holster. Rubber grips make this even worse as they require me to adjust my grip between the holster and line of sight.

But it all depends on the "mission" for your pistol. My HK45C is a "duty"/carry pistol (as are my M1911s).

-- Chuck

·
Super Moderator
6,047 Posts
Grip preference varies with the individual.

The HK45 was originally designed with the same grip as is on the production HK45C and this was designed to mimic as much as possible the M1911 grip preferred by many armed professionals. The original design was intended for some Army trials that were never held.

For some reason -- I'm guessing marketing -- HK decided to put the P30 "finger thingie" grip on the HK45 which eliminated it from my consideration as that grip does not fit my hand at all. Nor does it allow a fast grip on the pistol from the holster. Rubber grips make this even worse as they require me to adjust my grip between the holster and line of sight.

But it all depends on the "mission" for your pistol. My HK45C is a "duty"/carry pistol (as are my M1911s).

-- Chuck
I disagree with this statement personally. But that is my mileage, everyone is different. I found it much much faster and more consistant actually.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
From reading the details on your second post, I would probably suggest

Go with the HK45 Full size

Here is my suggested reasons

You already have a compact carry 45 (USP 45c) that you are not going to be getting rid of anytime soon as you really like it
The HK45c would not be much of a different option from your USP 45c so it may be best to get the big brother first.

If the magazines from the HK45c will work in the USP 45c, then I think the Full size HK45 10 round mags would also work because they fit back and forth just fine in the HK45c (Just like the mags for the P30 fit the USPc just fine). You may want to see if anyone else has both to verify that.

Basically if you get the HK45c first you pretty much wind up with 2 very similar guns that are pretty much suited for the exact same thing.
I think you would be much happier off the bat with the full size HK45 and your USP 45c Then later on get a HK45c if you want one, or if you later on want to keep your stainless USP 45c as more of a safe queen / collection gun.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Both are great for carry if you do your part and find a good holster and system. Neither are good if you don't.

What are you looking for in a pistol? Have you shot or held either one? What feels best to you? Do plan on buying both in the future anyway? ..if you do, just buy the full size (if it meets your current needs) and when you buy the Compact you'll be amazed at how well it carries & shoots.

No matter what you buy I think you'll wish you had the other one. It's just the nature of the beast w/ high quality firearms and options.

Both are outstanding pistols

·
Registered
429 Posts
I can remember not being able to sleep for nights with this decision!
All you guys have great advice and info!
I am on the same track as navyman, just the first 2 are different... HK45, 45c, then USP45t. Favorite is the 45c. Wife also agrees!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts