HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold some stuff, saved some money and now I have a killer deal to grab a P30L package. I have always wanted a P30L more than any other pistol in the world but didn't want to spend 900 bucks on a gun that can't fill all 3 roles (HD, range, and carry) but lately I have been seeing more and more on the forums people carrying the P30L. How do you carry it? Holster, position, cant or no cant, clothing... etc. I'm excited that I'll soon have the pistol I ALWAYS wanted... All I have to do now is decide LEM or V3.

Damn this HK addiction... I was supposed to condense down to all Glocks.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I carry my P30L everday. I have two holsters a cheap Galco for my P200sk which is more of a scabbard and my primary is a Raven Concealment. I carry from 2:30 to 4 o'clock depending on what I'm wearing. (Although I should just leave it in one place.) I think the cant is a standard 10* on the Raven.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I just received my P30LS this week v3 and have a P30s v3 and another on the way. I can say that i would not see any more trouble to carry a L vs.a standard P30. Putting both side by side not much difference. They both have the same grip that's where most have trouble concealing.

I carrried my P30s a couple time's in a cheapo Uncle Mike's IWB with no problem's. The more i shoot my P30's i like them even more. I cannot help on anything LEM never even seen one, good luck,i would buy that P30L Darebear. All mine are 9mm's.....

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just received my P30LS this week v3 and have a P30s v3 and another on the way. I can say that i would not see any more trouble to carry a L vs.a standard P30. Putting both side by side not much difference. They both have the same grip that's where most have trouble concealing.

I carrried my P30s a couple time's in a cheapo Uncle Mike's IWB with no problem's. The more i shoot my P30's i like them even more. I cannot help on anything LEM never even seen one, good luck,i would buy that P30L Darebear. All mine are 9mm's.....
Thanks DeeHKman and it will def be a 9mm

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've owned my P30LS .40 S&W for less than a week, but I've been to the range with it twice, have over 500 flawless rounds through it, and it's become my everyday carry pistol.

Having carried one or another Colt or Ed Brown 1911 for years, I find carrying the P30LS no problem at all. I'm too old and cantankerous to think of anything not made of leather worthy of the title of holster, so plastic, nylon, and other synthetic materials are out for me. I have on order from RGrizzle a "Georgia Snap" belt holster custom made for my P30LS. In the meantime, I'm carrying it in an El Paso Saddlery Snap-Off Elite belt holster and, when the need arises, an El Paso Saddlery C-Force IWB holster. They were both designed for a full-size Smith & Wesson M&P40 and the P30LS is a perfect fit.

P.S.- I use the traditional "kidney carry position."

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have been carrying my P30L with Veridian X5L v1 for over a year IWB in back. I have not found a more comfortable full size pistol for concealed carry.

·
Banned
188 Posts
I carried my P30L daily for the better part of two years. I usually ran a leather iwb holster (forgot the brand), or most recently I have been running a plain-jane blackhawk iwb. It's surprisingly comforrtable and I usually carry around 3-4 o'clock.
Considering the size and grip length, the pistol is very easy to carry, especially if you're a bigger guy.
However, I am waiting to pick up my new Walther PPS, so needless to say that will probably take over the roll of primary carry.

·
Registered
387 Posts
P30L in 40. Cotton Inks "pancake" holster. Very comfortable, usual 4:00 carry.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I cannot help on anything LEM never even seen one.....
As far as LEM or DA/SA I'm going to make that decision after a few more go arounds with this LEM .45c I just picked up. If I continue to shoot DA/SA better then I'll just go with a V3.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I have been toying with the idea of going with a light LEM but I'm just so unsure if I'll like it. Usually I just spend money and kick the tires on anything I'm curious about but when it comes to this it just feels like "IF" I hate it, I would have lost valuable trigger time with my V3.

I know one thing is for sure, I HATE HATE HATE Sig's DAK trigger and I would hope to God the LEM feels more responsive or positive.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Hey darebear, I don't carry a P30L but I do carry a USP 45 full size on a daily basis. I'm guessing your asking because its a full size gun. Concealing a full size isn't hard if you commit to it. First get yourself a good leather belt. Makes all the difference in the world to have a belt designed to carry a gun. I had mine made by thebeltman. I carry either in a serpa concealment holster (paddle) or a leather Galco belt holster. Both owb so I don't have to buy all new pants. I carry at about the 3:30 position. In the summer I usually wear a light tshirt or even wife beater on really hot days and a large button down over the tshirt unbuttoned to cover the gun. It actually works nicely but if you get a stiff breeze you may be flashing your gun. In the winter I usually wear long sleeve thermal shirts and a pea coat if its really cold or a lighter zip up fleece or hoodie to cover the gun. Taking the paddle off and on is easy but alot of times I wear the leather galco because it conceals better. The only bad part is driving. I have to deholster the gun because I don't want the seat belt digging into the holster or the gun into my back. But its no problem to holster when I get out of the car.

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I carry mine in a duty rig for my off duty security gig. No troubles. I do carry it once in a while concealed IWB at about the 3:30-4:00 position. Not too bad.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I can't do the whole one-pistol-does-all thing. I don't know how you guys carry full-size pistols but I'm 5'9", 145 lbs., and my carry piece is a Sig P238 subcompact. HD pistol is an older P220ST .45 and fart-around range shooter is an SP2022 9mm soon to be joined by a P30 (or P30L) 9mm V3.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I know one thing is for sure, I HATE HATE HATE Sig's DAK trigger and I would hope to God the LEM feels more responsive or positive.
Don't let this concern you because, honestly, there is absolutely no comparison between the two. The H&K LEM trigger is vastly superior to SIG's DAK trigger.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't let this concern you because, honestly, there is absolutely no comparison between the two. The H&K LEM trigger is vastly superior to SIG's DAK trigger.
Yea Todd G wrote a article on the two. My problem I'm having with the LEM (not to turn the thread) is the pretravel weight. So like I said if I can't master this then I'm going with a V3 P30.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yea Todd G wrote a article on the two. My problem I'm having with the LEM (not to turn the thread) is the pretravel weight. So like I said if I can't master this then I'm going with a V3 P30.
Are you speaking of the virtual lack of pre-travel weight on the Variant 1 (aka light LEM) that bothers you or something else?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I can't do the whole one-pistol-does-all thing. I don't know how you guys carry full-size pistols but I'm 5'9", 145 lbs., and my carry piece is a Sig P238 subcompact. HD pistol is an older P220ST .45 and fart-around range shooter is an SP2022 9mm soon to be joined by a P30 (or P30L) 9mm V3.
Carrying a full size is just like HK's motto. No Compromise.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are you speaking of the virtual lack of pre-travel weight on the Variant 1 (aka light LEM) that bothers you or something else?
Yes Sir. For some reason I shoot super low and super left with the light LEM, I can't explain it. It's like the light LEM is TOO easy, as if my finger prefers feeling 10lbs of weight. I can watch the front sight move to the left when dry firing my light LEM .45. Guess it's just gonna take time.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Carrying a full size is just like HK's motto. No Compromise.
Agreed. My G26 was a great gun but I'd rather carry a full size that I know I can shoot better than compromise and carry a subcompact just so I can wear my muscle shirts. I'll just be sweating alot this summer while carrying my .45c

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yes Sir. For some reason I shoot super low and super left with the light LEM, I can't explain it. It's like the light LEM is TOO easy, as if my finger prefers feeling 10lbs of weight. I can watch the front sight move to the left when dry firing my light LEM .45. Guess it's just gonna take time.
I know exactly what you're talking about. It kind of freaked me out at first too and took some time to get used to it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts