HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know of 2 places that do USC->UMP conversions, TN and HDPS.

Any others?

I'll pass on TN which leaves HDPS. I'm a little concerned about having only 1 source for the work.

I know I could do the work myself. It's just that I'm sure it won't come out as clean as I like. ;)

·
Banned
366 Posts
They are very simple to do but I highly recommend Ed and HDPS.

Bottom line, Ed know his ****. My gun uses all of Ed's workings and it's beautiful.

I have one of Ed's new unreleased HDPS US made triggers and I had some concerns with how crisp the trigger was and how it resets. Ed looked into the design, made tweaks to the design and he is giving me a new trigger for free, after the fact.

Also, I needed help swapping out some spring in the control pack and Ed walked me threw the process on the phone. I preformed the job as he waited on the phone as I did each step. Turned out great because of Ed.

Yet another time I needed some parts for a shooting event I had coming up the same weekend. I had only 3 days til the event and Ed overnight expressed me the parts free of charge so I would have them in time. Like I paid for the parts, he paid for the overnight express out of his pocket. Not something everyone should expect though so please don't think this is normal. Just saying, Ed takes care of his customers.

Hows that for service.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like contingency plans especially give that fact that I'll have over $2.5K invested in parts and a stamp.

Plan A use HDPS
Plan B use ???
Plan C do the work my self

·
Registered
518 Posts
You won't need a backup plan if you decide to go with HDPS...Trust me. Ed has done many conversion for fellow board members and I have not heard about a single one that wasn't anything but completely satisfied with his work.

-Mike

·
HKPRO PRIME MINISTER
1,291 Posts
USC / UMP Conversions...

Ed @ HDPS is just fine...

No issues at all with his guns...

I have two of his conversions in my collection and both fire great...

·
Registered
18 Posts
+1 for HDPS

I agree with the previous forum member, with HDPS you won't need a back-up plan. When I started looking into my conversion, I followed your exact steps and wanted to created a list based of reliability, credibility, workmanship, timeframe for delivery. Immediately, some of the vendors fell of my list! I did my own SBR paperwork so I bought my parts from ED BEFORE having before shipping my USC. After that 1st transaction, I knew HDPS was the way to go! Once I got my SBR paperwork back from ATF, I scheduled my conversion with ED and it was a piece of cake since ED walks you the shipping process. I got my conversion back as promised and the craftsmanship was FANTASTIC! Ed, work ethic is excellent and he knows how to run a business, I did not find that in any of the other vendors. I wholeheatedly recommend

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have dealt with Ed at HDPS and he was really helpful. I ended up doing my own conversion and its actually pretty easy, just take your time. I will probably end up sending off my reciever to get dyed with ump vents milled into it, and HDPS will get the call.

as was said earlier, using HDPS there is no real contingency plan needed, in fact they were my contingency plan if I failed on my own conversion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's your plan B

Well, here is your plan B. TE is selling one more conversion.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=82584630

Or send the thing off to HDPS.

You just have to choose a route and go with it.

There doesn't seem to be a need for a 'backup plan'. The only reason you'd need a backup plan in the current market is if you hem and haw until the TE conversion sells and HDPS goes out of business.

Throw down and get going.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not hemming or hawing about anything.
If I had all of the parts in hand I'd send to HDPS tomorrow. But I don't.
I'm hamstrung by the unavailability of black USC's.
Between waiting for the next load of USC's to get to dealers and waiting for a form 1 sign off
it could be a few months before I'm ready to send to HDPS. As we've seen with T&E stuff happens.
That's why I want a plan B.

Based on the responses to this thread I can only assume that HDPS is
the only game in town right now and I'm plan B.

I guess I'm the only one around here that plans for the worst and hopes for the best. ;)

C

·
0 Posts
I would have to say I do that planning tactic as well, however after trading e-mails with Ed I feel quite confident he is as prossional as you get, I had sveral questions and he answered them all and fast. I am waiting on form 1 approval and then my black USC is off to him, my unfired at that USC!! I need to find some time to shoot prior to the short barrel shooting!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
HDPS was my back up for TE when they quit doing the conversions. I can highly recommend Ed and his work - both are outstanding!!!

As a note, my USC to UMP conversion with UMP40 parts actually was more reliable over a day of shooting than my neighbors real UMP40...

BF

I'm not hemming or hawing about anything.
If I had all of the parts in hand I'd send to HDPS tomorrow. But I don't.
I'm hamstrung by the unavailability of black USC's.
Between waiting for the next load of USC's to get to dealers and waiting for a form 1 sign off
it could be a few months before I'm ready to send to HDPS. As we've seen with T&E stuff happens.
That's why I want a plan B.

Based on the responses to this thread I can only assume that HDPS is
the only game in town right now and I'm plan B.

I guess I'm the only one around here that plans for the worst and hopes for the best. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts