HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you like it? I'm thinking of getting one for my UMP conversion. I really want to keep the flanged barrel though I wouldn't be opposed to have the part in front of the flange threaded if that's possible.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
I have one that works fine on my SBR USC/UMP with both .45 and 9mm setups. It fits fine, connects and disconnects quickly, and works as expected.

A couple pics:

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have both a GemTech and B&T suppressor for my UMP. I had a real issue with the first UMP can GemTech sent me. Upon installing it on my factory UMP barrel, the attachment mechanism seized and locked the suppressor onto the barrel. I ended up having to send the complete gun and barrel to GemTech for them to fix. It was a major hassle. Gemtech did fix the problem, but the hassle factor was a major letdown. I've heard that the same problem has happened to others.

Conversely, I have had no issues whatsoever with my B&T UMP suppressor. It's considered a 'pre-may' dealer sample though, which limits its ownership capability quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
I feel your pain. I was assisting with a LE Demo up in Lake County and a brand new out of the box GEMTECH UMP Suppressor would not fit on a Brand HK UMP 40. As always I came prepared with a backup plan....We pulled off the Demo using my factory HK UMP 40 barrel and my GEMTECH UMP Suppressor. Later the FFL/SOT sent the Brand new GEMTECH UMP Suppressor back to Gemtech. GET THIS!!! They said our FACTORY HK UMP BARREL was out of spec. HAHAHA Right.... Funny mine fit on my barrel. All factory. To make matter worst the SOT Dealer sent them a TN 40 UMP barrel as a backup and they damaged that and fixed their suppressor without telling the dealer.. NICE huh. I should add - That the FFL SOT will no longer order ANY GEMTECH Suppressors.
GEMTECH has had known problems with their UMP Suppressors not fitting (especially with UMP 40's. Another local LE ordered 10 UMP 40 Suppressors only 8 fit correctly.
SEF Tactical built 30+ bolts and barrels 9mm UMP. Their Thread protector acted as a bushing for the Gemtech suppressor. I check each one with my GEMTECH UMP Suppressor. They all fit. I had 3 customers who had problems with their Gemtech suppressor not fitting. hmm
What is the take away from all this - Gemtech uses many vendors to supply them parts. So specs could vary. If you order a GEMTECH suppressor for a 45 UMP chances are very good that it will fit. If you want to use it on a 40.. your chances get less. And their suppressor will not fit on a FACTORY HK UMP 9mm at all!!!!
Hope that helps.
Glenn

·
Registered
259 Posts
Glenn...upon reading your post, I realized that GemTech told me the exact same thing...that my FACTORY HK UMP BARREL was out of spec. Right...;-)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Just for informational purposes...
My dealer had a HDPS barrel, and a GEMTECH UMP can. Didn't work right so he sent it in to GEMTECH, they "adjusted" the barrel to fit. A few months later he was selling it so I took my UMP(factory 45 barrel) by to test fit the can. Didn't fit...
My takeaway from that was that can's latch was out of spec, and instead of fixing it, they cut the barrel to fit an out of spec can.
All that said, If I ever have a some disposable income I'd still get one, and fix the can myself.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
I have a Gemtech on my UMP SBR and it works great with the HK German barrel.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
NOT ENOUGH ORDERS.... that's what I'm guessing. Everyone wants the Outback II, G5 or some other suppressor...

·
Registered
477 Posts
The B&T units that HK sold when the UMP first became available were LOUD. We could not use them indoors without hearing protection. AWC developed a nice unit but it was pretty big.

Gemtech by far has made the best can for the UMP. The problem was inconsistency with the piss poor design of the flange on the German barrels. Some have said they were out of spec, since I never saw the "specs" for the this design. I can't comment on that, but I did find inconsistent dimensions on the UMPs that I have owned and/or sold to agencies. My experience with the Gemtech UMP was to try several on different UMPs, when we found one that worked with a particular weapon it was "assigned" to that weapon.

Thus, in my conversations with Gemtech and other suppressor manufactures, suppressors for the UMP are a back burner issue these days. Threading the UMP barrel is probably the best way to go for a can. What I never understood is the excellent time honored HK 3 lug design why that system was not used on the UMP. But, bottom line is inconsistent OD dimensions on the UMP barrels. From responses to this thread and other similar threads in the past, the dimension issue is why one response is "mine works great" and the next is "mine stuck or was a very tight fit."

The problem is not with Gemtech's work.

So, the Gemtech web site says that their UMP cans are "Currently on Extended Backorder." Does anyone know what the deal is?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts