HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of starting a new project - making my own hi-cap (~30 rounds) magazine...

I've never tried it before and just started thinking about it a few days ago. I refuse to spend the outrageous cost of a hi-cap Hk magazine (whenever they show up for sale).

I think I saw Big Bore say he's made one himself... I'm curious as to how he (and others) have gone about doing this. I'm thinking of taking two magazines and affixing them together after cutting off the top of one of the magazines. I will have to find a lengthened spring also...

Thoughts? Comments? Laughter? :)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
With the metal ones, with a Tig welder (or Mig, but the cleanup is much more) you can join 2 of the .45 magazines together, and IIRC create a 17 round magazine if you use the 10-rounders.

Theorectically, you could make a 19 round magazine if you hacked up a 12 round magazine, and possibly even stretch it to 20 rounds with some follower modifications.

You would be looking at mabey cutting up 4 10-round .45 magazines in order to achieve a 30 round magazine.

I would not attempt to modify the 9mm/.40cal magazines, because they are polymer, and you may risk having the joint be weak, and possibly breaking.... Unless you can have someone "plastic weld" (same deal as with the newest generation of G36 conversions) the magazines, i would not trust the plastic mags very much.

From what i remember, the STI double stacked mags work in the USP 9/40 will a little modification, and then you could possibly weld several together.

In any case, it would most likely end up being very difficult to make a ~30 round magazine for the .40 and 9mm USP's, than it would be to get the HK ones, unless you have the equiptment necessary for metal work and modification i wouldn't screw with the STI mag things.

But if you have the ability to work with metal, my bet is the STI mags would be your best bet!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would not attempt to modify the 9mm/.40cal magazines, because they are polymer, and you may risk having the joint be weak, and possibly breaking.... Unless you can have someone "plastic weld" (same deal as with the newest generation of G36 conversions) the magazines, i would not trust the plastic mags very much.
All of my .40 magazines are metal... not polymer.

I wouldn't be using these mags for anything other than range use. I'd rather attempt to make one myself and not buy a ProMag.. just for the fun of the project basically.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
All of my .40 magazines are metal... not polymer.

I wouldn't be using these mags for anything other than range use. I'd rather attempt to make one myself and not buy a ProMag.. just for the fun of the project basically.
okay, thought you were talking about the USP :p

Yeah, if yu have the ability to weld (or have a buddy that can weld) its pretty much just a matter of getting the top of the lower magazine(s) cut off (if its double stacked, you need t cut it off where it starts to taper down) and then welding them together. I would make some sort of wooden jig, so you can cut all the magazines parralel (it will make it easier)

Then you'll need to clean them up, should be a mater of filing them down (this is why Tig is easier than Mig welding) and refinishing them if you wish.

Then you'll need a longer magazine spring.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay, thought you were talking about the USP :p

Then you'll need a longer magazine spring.
Well I am talking about my USP... all my mags are metal. :)

Where can I find longer magazine springs? I've looked all over (CDNN, Midway, Cheaper than Dirt, GunBroker, etc..) and haven't found any extended mag springs for any guns...

·
Registered
227 Posts
You can always call Wolff Springs. They make great products and might be able to give you one right off the shelf that may work. If they don't I would bet they would be able to bake it for you. I have no idea of what the peice would be but they are great people to deal with.

Good luck with your project. Keep us posted on your progress with pics and feedback!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts