HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found out the answer after posting this. Figures that is why you see private sales on converted guns. Like I had mentioned earlier sorry for the newb question.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have one but I don't know what your question was because you edited it out, thus preventing me from answering and preventing others from learning in the future via the search feature.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So an original MP5 requires 2 sears ? Good to know. My question I had originally asked before finding out the correct answer was as to how many original MP5 owners are there on this forum. I had noticed that the majority of all sellers (private or Class 3 dealers) all have or had converted guns advertised & wondered as to why I never see an original up for sale. Now I somewhat know the answer, but if anyone can elaborate further that would be appreciative.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The MP5 wasn't developed until late '67 or so. The GCA of '68 banned import of machine guns for private citizens. I have read that a couple of pre-MP5 prototypes were imported in late '67 and are currently in private collections. All transferable MP5s are HK94s that have been chopped up and had a sear added. My MP5 is a pre-May dealer sample - an original HK imported after '68 and only available to government and FFL/SOTs.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the answer as to why private citizens can't legally own an original MP5. Crazy how prices have been on converted guns during the past decade.

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,542 Posts
There are *lots* of real MP5's in civvie hands. Dealer/SOT's with post-May dealer samples and many pre-May dealer samples. As noted, there are few, if any, fully transferable "real" MP5's...

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
As noted, there are few, if any, fully transferable "real" MP5's...
Four that we know of... accidentally allowed to retain their "transferable" status. They originally were pre-86 sales samples and somehow got transferred as unrestricted.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Four that we know of... accidentally allowed to retain their "transferable" status. They originally were pre-86 sales samples and somehow got transferred as unrestricted.
When BATF figures that out, they will be re-classified back to pre-samples. Anyway, I had a postie a while back. It shot exactly like my Fleming RRPP. I sold it to another SOT who wanted to play with an MP5. Actually, I thought my Fleming had nicer welds on it than the original.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I too have a Fleming PP MP5 and when I put it next to our posties I cant tell the difference. He did nice work.

Bob D

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
When BATF figures that out, they will be re-classified back to pre-samples.
I dunno... they already know about it... have for better than a dozen years now. They haven't done anything yet.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
So if the BATF papers something as transferable its good to go? Reason I am asking is because I was offered an original MP5 SD suppressor that was "labled" as transferable by them and I didn't want anything to do with it. The guy only wanted $400 for it too...

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
If they transfer it, who cares? If they find out it's a no go, you wouldn't be out anything because it wouldn't transfer. The guy selling it would take a hit, tho'. If he said it was transferable what would you have to lose? Find out soon enough. You could even ask for the serial number and run it through ATF. They wouldn't give you any owner info, but they sure as hell could tell you if it was unrestricted...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts