HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been scouring the interweb about the PTR 9kt that I just purchased and given the multiple bolt issues that I have seen, I am torn over whether to just buy an 80 degree locking piece right out the gate or purchase a Mad Max Bolt for this gun. The PTR bolts have had a spotty track record so far. I will certainly put several hundred rounds down the range before I do anything but I keep hearing good things about the Mad Max bolt. Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I read awhile back, one of the ranges in Vegas replaced their bolts for the Mad Max and they were running without issues at the time of their review. If your gun hasn't failed, don't buy it yet, I would instead buy the $6 extractors. https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/MP5-MP5K-EXTRACTOR-SPRING-NEW-126p2258.htm

Are you running a sear in your K?
This is a semi-auto gun as I can't afford to go full auto just yet, but I like the option. I don't plan on a change just yet, but the PTR bolts seem to be spotty. WE will see, but I want to have options.

·
Vendor
2,037 Posts
I run a MAD bolt in my k-gun.
Been very happy with it.
I got sick of replacing $7 springs...and this gun in particular liked to bend them all the time...say every 500-1500 rounds which I found unacceptable.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Never had extractor problems in a 94 but was intrigued in the idea of the bolt so I bought one. So far have it has been used with an HK carrier and LP without issue for about 2500rnds. If you don't know already, the Mad Max idea came from the bolt developed by HK for the beltfed guns and scaled it down to 9mm. A very sensible idea that I wish HK would consider for the high volume shooters. If you shoot a few hundred rounds over the course of a year I wouldn't bother.

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
The extractor spring is the weak point of the MP5, the M.A.D. bolt addresses this and is a huge improvement, it's actually made by RCM and their quality of manufacture is excellent.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I make a point to buy an extractor spring every time I order from HK Parts or RTG. Its not that I shoot that much but I know what its like to not have something when you need it most. I had my MP5 for about 3 months but have put about 500-600 rounds out of it and would have put more had there not been a bullet shortage here. Once I break in the K Gun, I will assess the current bolt and decide if its the right way to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts