HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of the following two builders, who makes the Best Quality HK53 Clones?
* Turner Fabrications - Mike T.
* Dakota Tactial - Chopstix

I am aware of the following builders, but only want to know about the two mentioned above.
* Investment Grade Firearms (IGF) - Jason C.
* Ghilliebear
* RTDS
* Michael Machines

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
No question, Joe / Dakota Tactical.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Though I don't own a Dakota Tactical weapon, I do own a Turner Fab MP5F and can attest to the quality in my weapon. It is top notch from the welds to the fit and finish. I couldn't imagine the gun being any better than what it is. And the price and the wait time is a huge plus!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a Turner MP5 not a 53 that is rough IMHO. I posted pics and the details on Sturm if you would like to take a look. I'm not bashing the guy but my experience with him was not good. Just my two cents. I don't have one of Joe's guns in hand but have a few in the "que" as I've heard nothing but positive things about his work. I know RDTS wasn't an option, but the 53 I got from Ralph is my favorite gun I own. By far!!!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Of the two you ask directly about, I would and have had Joe build me a 53.

Keep in mind that with a 53 you have several options with regards to the parts that you choose to use. A 53 can be built with cut up 33 parts or you can go the true HK53 parts gun route. I prefer the parts gun route.

You will also need to choose and find a 33/53 receiver, unless you plan to build off a 93. Quality MP5 and 91 clone receivers or flats are easy to come by thanks to LSC and PTR, but the 33/53's are a different story.

Good luck with you build.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Ghilliebear built me a 53 using an HK53 parts kit (now sold). The weapon turned out great and ran like a sewing machine in semi and full auto.

EDIT-sorry, just read the op completely...only Turner or Dakota.

I have not seen either builders work in person but both look great from online pics of their work. I imagine Turner may get your build done quicker as I think Joe is backed up with alot of orders right now.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Out of the following two builders, who makes the Best Quality HK53 Clones?
* Turner Fabrications - Mike T.
* Dakota Tactial - Chopstix

I am aware of the following builders, but only want to know about the two mentioned above.
* Investment Grade Firearms (IGF) - Jason C.
* Ghilliebear
* RTDS
* Michael Machines
Easy answer, get two HK53 parts kits with factory barrels, two HK93s for the receivers and have each build you one .....(old school way to a nice HK53 clone but ends up a little costly now days, but still is the best option IMO ;-)

Looks like you will have a limited field to answer your question, as the poster will really needs to own, have owned or at the vary least have friends shooting both models. Further limiting the field of posters is that both smiths do a nice job and any minor differences maybe the trade offs in price vs parts supplied and thus the posters tend not comment on minor differences in comparisons that are not entirely fair (i.e. if one gun was built with a German HK53 parts kit and the other was built with a G33 parts kit etc.).

As the other posters have pointed out, the major issues with a factory correct or even a nice clone, is the 5.56 receivers and finding / modifying the parts kits. Once one starts making compromises due to lack of parts and/or the receiver, then communications between the gun smith and client becomes more important so both know what the other wishes and can do with the resources available. I would give both of the guys a call and talk the project over with them, then go with which ever one you fell has the best match to you particular needs, budget, parts and timing.

Question for you, why limit the option to these two guns smiths (appears two good choices from the postings) - may I assume these are the two you like the best after doing your initial research (with only six posts hard to read between the lines with your former postings ;-).

Take care, good luck and looking forward to your review, photos and videos after you get your "HK"53 (will this be a sear / trigger pack host?)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts