HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am 6'1" and rather thin and im getting a USPc 45 as a CCW, will i be able to carry this in the summer? my clothes fit me pretty snug and im worried about comfort of such a big pistol.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
I have no problem with it in terms of comfort but to be honest if you are going to CCW the snug clothes have to go. That or else know that you are going to print badly. Most who CCW understand the fact that they must swallow a little bit of pride or whatever you want to call it and wear clothes that fit a little more loose.

If you refuse to go that route and the printing is not a option either maybe consider a smaller pistol. Something along the lines of the Kel-Tec P3at in 380. Myself I would just get some looser fitting clothes. good luck whichever you go with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i am 6'1" and rather thin and im getting a USPc 45 as a CCW, will i be able to carry this in the summer? my clothes fit me pretty snug and im worried about comfort of such a big pistol.
I'm 5'8" 150lbs (rather thin), and I ccw a usp45c in a Tucker Tx heritage 4:00 w/o any problem. I usually do so in cargo shorts and an untucked medium T-shirt. The cant of the holster puts the grip right in the fleshy side of my back. The only portion that prints is the rear part of the slide/sights at around 3:30. Usually I just put my cellphone directly in front of it, and then it dissapears.

I don't have a true gunbelt, and that's my next purchase, because I find the weight of the weapon to be my biggest gripe. I'm also saving up for a 9mm that will be my new carry piece.

Lose the lycra/spandex 50/50 blend sleeveless T-shirts, and you'll be fine. ;-)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i guess im going to give my 9mm a shot to conceal before going out and buying a 45, maybe i do need to consider something smaller

·
Registered
73 Posts
Try this...
http://smartcarry.com/

Works better, by far, than any of several IWB designs I've tried. I've successfully used it with shorts and t-shirt (including running) and relatively-tight "fashion" jeans.

Great "stealth" backup even if it doesn't become your primary holster.

ETA: This is with a USPc .45 and P7 currently, and formerly a Glock 27.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I weigh about 140lbs soaking wet and maybe all of 5'9" tall and I carry a full size USP .40 Combat Comp. (thats with the Jet Funnel!) on my hip wearing just a long t-shirt to conceal it. No one has ever noticed, but I do have to be mindful to pull my shirt down when say, for instance, getting out of my car or reaching over my head. I use Desantes gun leather. I carry it only rarely, my everyday gun is a G19.

Carrying a USPc should be no trouble for you.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I think once you start CCW your clothing style will change. When I need deep concealment for whatever reason, be it wardrobe or situation I go with a pocket holstered P2000SK or 340PD.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Try this...
http://smartcarry.com/

Works better, by far, than any of several IWB designs I've tried. I've successfully used it with shorts and t-shirt (including running) and relatively-tight "fashion" jeans.

Great "stealth" backup even if it doesn't become your primary holster.

ETA: This is with a USPc .45 and P7 currently, and formerly a Glock 27.

Believe it or not this is a great carry option.

Do you work in a gym or a lifeguard or something where you have to wear such tigh clothing??? I would think you just need to get a t-shirt in your size but instid a regular length get a Long sized and that will help with a little more shirt tail. TJ

·
Registered
616 Posts
Believe it or not this is a great carry option.

Do you work in a gym or a lifeguard or something where you have to wear such tigh clothing??? I would think you just need to get a t-shirt in your size but instid a regular length get a Long sized and that will help with a little more shirt tail. TJ
I tried it for a while...I couldnt stomach a 230grain HP drawing a bead on my balls. I know the gun wont fire if the trigger aint pulled, but it was a mental thing I just couldnt get over....not to mention its hard to get to in jeans. If someone can get over the mental issue I had its worth a try.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I used to have a Seecamp. Then I realized that its best use would be to throw at somebody. I carry a USP 45c w/finger rest mag and Match hammer& trigger. I use a Galco SOB. It carries outside the pants at the center belt loop. With their belt it's a $150.00 proposition. The gun will not fall out ever w/no strap. Sometimes I use a day planner holster. It's hot here so it's cargo shorts and baggy shirts 10 months a year. A 45c also fits in the pocket of cargo or 511 tactical shorts (they have a spare mag pocket built in). I also have a $40.00 Blackhawk CBQ that I use sometimes with the paddle (it comes with both). With a big enough shirt it will hide. They are all a pain in the ass for awhile, but all less as a pain that not being able to shoot first.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I tried it for a while...I couldnt stomach a 230grain HP drawing a bead on my balls. I know the gun wont fire if the trigger aint pulled, but it was a mental thing I just couldnt get over...
LOL! I do know where you're coming from. 185gr or 200g doesn't feel much less threatening, FWIW. :)

(1) My understanding of the most common way to wear this rig (and the way I usually do) has the holster lying in front of your other equipment... Thus it won't actually point at the family jewels. Much more peace of mind.

(2) I went through some self-examination about the whole question of safety. Basically, my final realization was that if I was that worried about it going off, maybe I shouldn't be carrying it in that condition in any rig. It always amazes me that there are guys who will argue for hours on Glocktalk that their 3.5lb trigger is perfectly safe because of the "safety in their head" but who faint dead away at the thought of carrying in a marsupial or belly band. Makes me hope they are not reholstering in their "tactical rig" anywhere near me or my family.

Anyhow, you did say it was a mental thing, I hear that. I'm just voicing my thoughts in case it helps someone else in their evaluation.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
73 Posts
Do you work in a gym or a lifeguard or something where you have to wear such tigh clothing???
Good point, some people have occupational limitations (e.g. wearing scrubs in health care).

I think a very important point is that this rig is one I've hardly ever had to "dress around", whereas I've had to dress around everything else I've tried (Tucker Texas Heritage, C-TAC, Crossbreed, Uncle Mike's).
Heck, you don't even need a belt in your pants if you don't want. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have carried a USP45C year-round with no issues. I've used the Smart Carry, and it works for me in situations where a traditional IWB won't cut it--such as summer time while wearing shorts with no belt. I also carry it in a Mitch Rosen ARG IWB.

If you plan to carry concealed/IWB, you will have to buy bigger pants to account for the weapon/holster system that you decide to carry.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm 6' 170 and a carry my USPc .45 during the summer with no problems! I keep it IWB in my Comptac CTAC! No one ever knows that I'm carrying.

·
Registered
32 Posts
MTAC!

Try this, hard to beat for comfort-slightly more adjustable than Crossbreed;

·
Registered
271 Posts
I kydex IWB, plain and simple.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Every gun I own is a carry gun. I've concealed them all around the country in climates ranging from ungodly hot to ball shriveling cold. Even my full size USP 45 or 1911 (both with mounted lights) can be concealed with a little thought.

Truth is, as others have already said, the wardrobe is the key. You are going to have to either change the way you dress (best option) or carry off-body (viable, but not preferable).

Scrubs, by the way, don't prevent carrying full-size guns. When I've worked in a hospital setting, I used shoulder rigs with great success.

As a wise Army Drill Sergeant once said, "Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance." Yeah, some will credit that to a Navy Chief Petty Officer, but they're lying ;-)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Me...5'10", 250#,hard to get real loose clothing, lol. I use a Galco Skyops IWB to carry my P2K almost everyday. Sofar have had very little trouble carrying in shorts, jeans or looser fitting Khaki type pants are best. T-shirts, helps to be a little long and looser fitting, but can carry untucked or tucked if need be. All this in relative comfort, almost forget I'm carrying sometimes.
I just can't imagine carrying a loaded weapon pointed at my crotch all the time ...and how comfortable can that be when you sit down?...(esp. if you have a bigger gut like mine!)

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterT3.asp?ProductID=2751&CatalogID=7

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
ACE Belly-Band

I have never used a SmartCarry personally, but I believe in it's viability 100%.

And the reason I do is because I summer-carry my USP Compact 45 with flat magazine-base-plates in the pubic position just like with the SmartCarry, but with an ACE Belly-Band (I think I paid less than $20 for it). VERY comfortable and secure. I can run around barefoot in gym-shorts with no shirt on at the lake, and no one knows (not even my wife) that I'm carrying 9 rounds of 45ACP in my shorts. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts