HKPRO Forums banner

Why are these two HK marked PDW stocks different?

1742 26
I have two of these both recently purchased, and both HK marked. The one with the clear plastic bumper was sold to me as a new in bag HK stock (sealed in unmarked bag) and the other one (without the clear bumper, on the right in the first pic, on the left in the second pic) was sold to me as a police department takeoff (which I took - perhaps stupidly, as an indicator of authenticity along with the HK logo). They obviously have different end- plates and hardware. can anyone explain to me the differences between these two and comment on their authenticity or differences in time manufactured or manufacturing?
Bicycle part Automotive tire Wood Gas Camera accessory

Hand Wood Gadget Finger Fruit
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Teufelshund Tactical
7,161 Posts
The one without the clear buffer is an aftermarket knock off.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah which means the guy on GB fu&ked me. I hope it's not too late to leave feedback.

How do they get the HK logo on the stock? I thought that was the hallmark of the "real deal" as opposed to the Choate made ones?

· Premium Member
2,923 Posts
yeah which means the guy on GB fu&ked me. I hope it's not too late to leave feedback.

How do they get the HK logo on the stock? I thought that was the hallmark of the "real deal" as opposed to the Choate made ones?
Choate made the HK stock, just molded in the logo. They are the same stock, Choate and HK.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, I'm a novice, but I thought I had done my homework. Here's what I thought I had learned.

Some guys say, "well, Choate made the mold for the actual stock for HK. So there is no difference between the ones marked HK and Choate."

Other guys (who seemed to know more/better) say "yeah, but it's not the stock, it's the base plate that matters, and the HK marked stocks were sent to HK and HK installed their own base plate which "locks up tighter with no wobble" unlike the Choate marked ones which have a different base plate" which can have wobble.

So, perhaps naively, I thought that "HK" marked choate stocks ALL had the HK factory base plate. It would now seem like my one HK marked choate stock has a non-HK base plate. Is that what I'm seeing here? That just because the molded part of the stock says "HK" it does not mean that the base plate is HK and may not lock up tight?

Just trying to understand the differences. Because I paid big bucks 2 months back for the "HK" marked stock with what I'm now being told is a non-HK base plate which makes me feel dumb. Like I cannot trust that an "HK marked" choate manufactured PDW stock will have the HK base plate. Is that the key?

· Premium Member
2,923 Posts
The stock above that's a knock off is the first of it's kind that I've seen so I could have been taken, too. If TT says it's a fake, I believe him. I'm learning, too, in this case. How an HK marked Choate butt got attached to a non HK/Choate back plate is a mystery to me. And that story about HK installing their own back plate I find hard to believe. Sounds like idol worship BS to me.

Reactions: secondofangle

· Registered
724 Posts
It looks to me like someone swapped a correct HK stock onto the Choate folding mechanism.

The Choate made stock that HK actually sells, as you mentioned, has a factory HK plastic end cap instead of the combination end cap/hinge of the Choate stock.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Remarkable. China is damn good at stealing intellectual property and reverse engineering.
well, and douchebags on gunbroker, experts at pulling the wool over your eyes. That site gets worse and worse as time goes on. I need to do a whole thread on that with my many recent examples of being banboozled.

· Registered
47 Posts
It looks to me like someone swapped a correct HK stock onto the Choate folding mechanism.

The Choate made stock that HK actually sells, as you mentioned, has a factory HK plastic end cap instead of the combination end cap/hinge of the Choate stock.
[Moderator edit to remove all your f bombs]

But, if you guys are right, I'm smarter now.

Education is expensive

· Registered
196 Posts
I would contact your seller, tell him what you've found, and see what he says. He may not know it's not legit.

On the other hand, maybe it's a new method of Choate producing these. Looks like there's some cost saving there. You might call them too.

The Chinese copy a lot of stuff but they usually make it look like the original (though their material my be inferior). I find it odd they'd copy something and change it in that way.

rambo

· Registered
43 Posts
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that both stocks are made by Choate. The one with the clear buffer is what they are making for HK and the plastic end cap is made by HK. The one with the black buffer is what they used to make for HK (both end cap and stock). Hence, the stock is HK marked. The current production Choate branded MP5 stock is Choate marked.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To reiterate, the main message seems to be that an HK mark on the molded plastic part of the stock does not guarantee that there is an HK end plate. Ideally, it seems that you want to have both so look carefully at the photos before buying.

· Registered
2,033 Posts
I would say you'll always see more HK fake knock off's even people trying to turn MR556 into 416 on GB you will see it all. Members here have posted tons of nock-off or misleading items on GB, your best bet is to keep an eye out on the heads-up section where members here find good deals on HK stuff.

· Registered
123 Posts
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that both stocks are made by Choate. The one with the clear buffer is what they are making for HK and the plastic end cap is made by HK. The one with the black buffer is what they used to make for HK (both end cap and stock). Hence, the stock is HK marked. The current production Choate branded MP5 stock is Choate marked.
I have seen and used both. I would not go so far as to call the one with a black buffer a “knock off.” I say that because they are actually a very common commercially available Choate/HK stock. If the stock fits and functions it is a non issue in my opinion.

· Registered
343 Posts
This is my understanding too. Also, I have both types and they both wobble.

To the OP, FYI, the black buffer needs to be rotated 90 degrees.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts