HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to know why the magazines for the USP 9mm Full size are polymer? I purchased a USP 9 compact and it has metal magazines. Doesn't appear to make any sense, but is there an explanation?

·
Registered
150 Posts
It might be a weight issue, usp.40 mags are polymer as well. This may be a stretch, noise reduction.... upon practicing clearing rooms in my house, I noticed the metal VP9 mags shifted and clunked making noise which was not consistent but did happen. In a stealth situation, someone may pick up on that type of noise, my wife , not very knowledgeable on guns was very surprised. Maybe the shorter mags do not shift as much. The mag movement or noise does not occur on my USP's.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
... I noticed the metal VP9 mags shifted and clunked making noise which was not consistent but did happen...
Just a comment for those that may not know... VP9 and VP40 mags are actually P30/P30L 9mm or .40 S&W mags... they did not create new mags just for the VP series... when I had my P30L in 9mm, I loved that flexibility.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
It has to do with the size of the grip. The USP series was designed on the 40. Polymer mags did not make the grip excessively large on the 40 or 9. When they scaled up to 45 polymer mags would make the grip too big. This consideration is the same for the other models.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
It has to do with the size of the grip. The USP series was designed on the 40. Polymer mags did not make the grip excessively large on the 40 or 9. When they scaled up to 45 polymer mags would make the grip too big. This consideration is the same for the other models.
USPc is smaller and uses metal mags for all calibers...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Being a new USP owner I was wondering the same thing. This is pure speculation but I was thinking corrosion resistance? Plastic doesn't care about water or salt. Or maybe since the USP 9/40 are the oldest guns in current HK line (apart from the Mark 23), it was a design experiment they rather quickly moved away from?

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'm gonna take a shot in the dark, as I would do in an HD scenario because I don't believe in flashlights, it probably has something to do with the German military adopting the P8. Polymer mags are cheaper than metal mags, and I assume they need a lot.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Just speculating, but I think they were trying to follow Glocks lead, but it didn't work out as well for them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think it can be a weight issue that and keeping them rustless. Few years ago I almost bought a fullsize USP 45 and when I visualize the magazine it was completely rusted. Caught me off guard as I never seen a steel magazine so rust like this one.

·
Registered
553 Posts
HK at the beginning, full size polymer, compact metal mags, luckily they came to their senses and all the new offerings come with metal mags. Metal mags been thinner leave more room for rounds, if Glock had metal mags the mags could easily hold two or three more rounds, but I have been wrong before.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have to clear a few cobwebs from my mind for this one, but if I remember right, the early Glock mags would "swell" when loaded to the point they would not drop free. This was addressed by adding metal liners to later versions of their magazine, which continues to this day. Problem solved.

I am not a USP owner, so maybe someone could address if that was or is an issue with the USP. I'd like to think that HK got it right the first time.

·
Registered
256 Posts
HK at the beginning, full size polymer, compact metal mags, luckily they came to their senses and all the new offerings come with metal mags. Metal mags been thinner leave more room for rounds, if Glock had metal mags the mags could easily hold two or three more rounds, but I have been wrong before.
I think HK also realized the importance of mag compatibility, i.e. Smaller guns accepting the mags of their larger offerings.

As for the Glock mags, the internal dimensions are maximized, so they are not going to get any additional rounds. They actually set themselves up good with their polymer magazines when the .40 came about. Because of the thickness, they were able to thin them out to allow for better staggering for the .40 round, thus giving 15 rounds. Guns like the Beretta 92 and Sig P226 did not have that option, so they were only able to get 12 in .40.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have to clear a few cobwebs from my mind for this one, but if I remember right, the early Glock mags would "swell" when loaded to the point they would not drop free. This was addressed by adding metal liners to later versions of their magazine, which continues to this day. Problem solved.

I am not a USP owner, so maybe someone could address if that was or is an issue with the USP. I'd like to think that HK got it right the first time.
You say problem solved, but this was part of the original design. The thought being you don't drop a mag that still have rounds in it. But yeah, us 'mericans see it as a problem,,, and they fixed it for us. :)

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
I know not why? But I like them.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I think HK also realized the importance of mag compatibility, i.e. Smaller guns accepting the mags of their larger offerings.

As for the Glock mags, the internal dimensions are maximized, so they are not going to get any additional rounds. They actually set themselves up good with their polymer magazines when the .40 came about. Because of the thickness, they were able to thin them out to allow for better staggering for the .40 round, thus giving 15 rounds. Guns like the Beretta 92 and Sig P226 did not have that option, so they were only able to get 12 in .40.
if you take the metal liners and the polymer case and replace the two with a metal magazine in the Glock's you'll have more internal room in the mag, no?

·
Registered
256 Posts
if you take the metal liners and the polymer case and replace the two with a metal magazine in the Glock's you'll have more internal room in the mag, no?
You can only make the magazines so wide (internally) before the rounds don't stagger, at which point they will jam and not feed. With the Glock, I believe they are at that maximum point or close too it in .40. What you are suggesting however, could likely add capacity to the .45 GAP pistols though. But in that case, why bother. ;)

·
Banned
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
HK at the beginning, full size polymer, compact metal mags, luckily they came to their senses and all the new offerings come with metal mags.

I want to be sure I'm not misunderstanding. Are you saying that all recent USPs in 9mm come with steel, not polymer mags? 2015 and 2016 models??

·
Registered
191 Posts
No, USP9f is still polymer mags. I think he means all HK pistols since. The USP9f can get the steel jet funnel mags with polymer exterior and they're probably the sturdiest magazines I've seen for any gun ever, if the normal polymer bothers you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just curious to know why the magazines for the USP 9mm Full size are polymer? I purchased a USP 9 compact and it has metal magazines. Doesn't appear to make any sense, but is there an explanation?
Hi! I don't know why the magazines are in polymer, but - it's my opinion - It's a mystake. We should not forget, the USP have a polymer frame. At the moment of shoot, the equilibre is very imported. With a metal magazine we have a metallic weight in plus! With a polymer magazine, we don't have this...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Usp40 mags are all plastic, as well as the white plastic ones. The whole package seems extremely cheap and definitely not worth the price.
The swelling of the mags, the thinness of them, the just being plastic. I know most say they are awesome, I disagree, and wish these actually had good durable metal magazines, not these cheapo , children's cap gun feel to them.
There are the thicker polymer over metal black mags, but these are nowhere to be found, not even HK has them any more.

I say this because I had to go through hell or high water to get a replacement of one mag which has a crack on its side due to dropping the magazine on my basement floor, linoleum atop concrete floor.

A nice high quality mag would have laughed at the drop.

Just my happenings

1 - 20 of 24 Posts