HKPRO Forums banner

Why are you passionate about HK?

4K views 22 replies 23 participants last post by  43500 
#1 ·
First, don't ready that wrong. So I'm still new to Hk firearms and I've been researching the hell out of them for the past few weeks. Now I've been on many firearm forums before, so I know what it's like to have a passion for certain firearms. I like CZ's, M14's (no springfield), Daewoo rifles, and other "oddities" that no one else in my area has ever heard of. Around here you say CZ and you can see the question mark pop up above their head or they say "I don't want no damn Czech gun, they are junk" ( yes, that happened, I WAS there while sporting a CZ 75), say Daewoo and the same thing happens, and so on. I have owned several CZ firearms and I will say they are awesome. I have 2 Daewoo Dr200's and they are awesome. Btw, I will never own an AR after shooting the Daewoo. So, back to the question. Why do all of you like HK's? What makes you passionate about them? I'm passionate about the rifles I own or I wouldn't own them. I'm working on getting a HK91 or clone and I've never shot one but I know I will love it. I still remember the first and only time I shot a M14 five years ago and now I'm waiting on my custom built LRB M25. So lets hear your stories about how you got started with HK or why you like them.:62::62: feuer frei!

#2 ·
Been shooting my 07/SOT friend's HKs for years and they've been amazing. I've seen his HKs have tens of thousands through them mostly in FA before they've gotten cleaned and none of them have ever stopped running. I've had an MP5SD catch fire from the built up GSR and a muzzle flare, a G3 have a casing split at the rim, eject the rim, shove the mangled casing up into the cocking tube, and chamber the next round like nothing at all happened, and I've seen an MP5 with a broken roller tray(with the bits still in the bolt) function flawlessly for thousands of rounds.

HK pistols same thing, my first HK pistol to shoot was a Mark 23 with a suppressor and it was an amazing pistol, fell in love with a 9mm P30 DA/SA and wound up buying a .40SW P30 DA/SA the day I turned 21.

HKs are just really fun and nothing beats them for reliability.

#4 ·
Quite simply because 1)I hate Glocks...I despise their closed-minded minions and everything they have done to polymer engineered handguns...2) I wanted something different that was actually worth the asking price and had been proven in combat to be so 3) Ergonomics and reliability are second to none...

German Engineered perfection by a company the pre-dates Glock....nuff said

#5 ·
My obsession started a while back but for the longest time I didn't go through the process of purchasing a gun. While looking at different gun makers Sig stood out for me the most for various reasons until I actually got my hands on a HK. From top to bottom HK is the Mercedes of the gun world and when it comes to paying extra for something I want then it's a no brainer. We all buy things that in the end will make us happier ... maybe that's why so many people are in debt but all I have is one life so I might as well go after what I really want than to settle. Besides being the trophy wife of gun making, HK has had a solid reputation as a gun maker and the peace of mind is priceless. Originally I was hunting down a P2000 V2 .40 and for the life of me I couldn't find a NIB anywhere. Maybe things do happen for a reason because after a trip to a local range I fell in love with the USP Compact and since then I wish I could have a CCW to have it everywhere with me. It's no coincidence that the USP is so popular and highly spoken about and I'm very fortune that I didn't find the P2000. Now the bug has gotten me as well and besides stocking up on ammo I'm looking at getting a P7M8 and the MR556a1. As corny as slogans are I must say HK picked a good one. I would go ahead and say that a little asterisks underneath "NO COMPROMISE" stating "one life to live so never settle" would go along beautifully.

#6 · (Edited)
Mine started when I purchased my first handgun. I knew I wanted a .45 and I started shooting when I was 11. I originally decided a Glock 21 but I knew the USP 45 was what I really wanted. Money was an issue.

Then I started thinking that since money for guns wouldn't come along often at that point in my life I should buy what I really wanted. So I worked extra shifts at work for a month and bought the USP 45. I fell in love instantly. I was already in love with the way the gun looked before I ever shot it. I fall in love with the gun every time I take it to the range. Its never ever failed. The push of the. 45 and the recoil buffer make the gun an absolute dream. It cycles smoother than any other polymer I've ever fired.

HK focuses so much on function and reliability than any other company. They test their weapons more than any other company. AND look at our special forces now. What weapons are they using? HK416s HKMP7s and HK45CTs and they have their choice.

Also the USP was born from the MARK23 probably the toughest most thoroughly tested handgun of all time except for a 1911. But the 1911 is heavy and only holds 8+1 with flush mags. HK guns are tested to NATO standards which are much more extensive and strenuous on firearms than civilian market testing.

And finally HK really doesn't have the civilian market in mind. I see this as a positive. They don't cut corners to make it affordable for your average Joe and anything they engineer has a purpose and function to either improve handling and firing or reliability and durability. They don't need to be trendy they just need to work.

Take it from a guy who bought TWO. My hands were made for the USP45.

-DBLAction454

#7 ·
Story is pretty similar to DBLAction.

First handgun I purchased was an HK USP .45 two day after I turned 21. I knew I wanted a .45, loved the looks of the HK, read forever about its dependability and said that is what I want.

As years went on and I strayed off the path and checked into several other "less expensive" brands. Never really had any issues in terms of reliability but just ended up selling them later and never really truly enjoyed shooting them as much as my HK. That being said I just had to accept the fact that if you start out at the pinnacle of something you are destined to be dissapointed if you go anywhere else.

I will just throw it out there and be honest and say that the fact that some people love to hate the HK community kind of makes me smile too. We are kind of looked at as the gun snobs of the firearms community and I am cool with that. Shoot your Glocks, M&P's, and every abomination of Ruger, I am cool with my HK's. Hate on me all you want but I dont have to worry about my pistols going bang when I want them too. I was just lucky to make the right decision the first time and I would argue that I spend less money by buying a few pistols at a premium price than trying to save some cash buying something else and then turning around and selling it.

The bottom line is that I still find myself truly enjoying heading to the range and shooting that same USP .45 I bought 12 years ago. I am not sure if many people can say that that arent on this board.

HK, I DONT CARE WHO HATES ME...I AM HAVING TOO MUCH FUN ENJOYING THE RIDE.

#8 ·
Simply put, the Germans take their engineering very seriously and they have been very instrumental in the development of military small arms since as far back as the 98k, Broomhandle, and Luger.

HK has made its mark in the history books (Iran embassy, OBL Raid), and as G3Kurz has pointed out has had a rich history themselves and has produced quality and mostly relevant weaponry since the 50's.

I'd wager most of us here grew up ogling MP5's and PSG-1's on the movie/TV screens, and others found something different in purchasing a USP or other HK product.

My first firearm purchase was an HK93 when I turned 18, and I haven't looked back.

#9 · (Edited)
Why are you passionate about HK?
Because they make **** that works.

Period.

I don't give a crap about botique guns, something being the "mercades" of a particular tool type, etc. All I care about is what will work reliably, consistently, and with the fewest malfunctions and that i'm comfortable with.

I liken the 416 type rifles to being the glocks of the rifle world. They simply work and work well. As do the 9x series.

If it weren't for that, I wouldn't put up with HKs ****ty attitude towards Civilian firearms ownership. People can make excuses for that until the cows come home and it won't change the fact that HK thinks we're all idiots. But, like I said, they make guns that work, so i'll bitch about their f**ked up attitude yet still buy the product. Having something that works and works well is worth it.

Don't get me wrong, I also like HK pistols too, but the fact of the matter is that as nice as they are, they still can't beat the simplicity, consistency, and reliability of a Glock. Yea, yea, I know everybody and their brother has a story about how their favorite (insert HK, Sig, 1911, etc. here) has worked for x number of rounds, blah blah blah. Whatever. Fine, put an HK through one of those stupid tests that glocks have been abused with and report back. I HAVE done(beach test) that and the Glock still came out ahead. Glock owners can afford to be close minded about their guns. They're not the ones with anything to prove anymore. 20+ years of stupidly abusive testing all in some vain attempt to prove the system as ****ty, quickly followed up with "well, they've got no soul" as the only bitch when they couldn't make the glocks fail, kinda puts glock owners in the catbird seat while everyone else tries to play catch-up.

All of that aside, I've been a fan of HK rifles in particular for many years. With the same obvious influences of TV and movies as a kid. I believe that "Ho Ho Ho, now i have a machinegun" was firmly burned in the memory banks of virtually everybody on this site, just like it was with me. Just like we all watched as John McClane undid the sling and tried to use it to lower himself into the venilation shaft and we all cringed as that wonderful HK MP5 stock bent and gave way......sigh...I sure hope that was a prop gun......

I had a chance to buy the Steyr AUG that was used in that same movie some years ago after stenbridge closed up shop. Still had fake blood on it and everything. But it was right when my ex filed for divorce and there was no way I could get it. :-(

#10 ·
They are simply the best! Plus I love the interchangeability....stocks, lowers, bolt carriers.... Its like Legos!!! LOL

#11 ·
For me, it was one of the cheapest machineguns I ever bought... complete Mp5 pre-samples at a whopping $400 each. Transferable sears alone were $450. M-16 were going for $650 and Macs were $300. You can thnak Charlie Wrangle and the rest of the Domocraps for todays price structure. Hope and change indeed.

#15 · (Edited)
I'm passionate about quality, and things that demonstrate quality. I feel that HK demonstrates itself as producing quality firearms, as evaluated by true experts in the field- of which I am not, and I can't afford to buy every firearm to come to any such conclusion myself. That being said, HK weapons do exude the attributes of quality that result from R&D I appreciate and understand.

#19 ·
My only real HK passion is the roller locked rifles.. because they are the baddest fighting rifles ever made

Ditto to the modular comments, it's just German goodness

#20 · (Edited)
Look at the USP series for a well documented example: the engineering was paid for by The Pentagon for USSOCOM (special forces, NAVY SEALS, etc), the design will outlast any other premium handgun, seriously, who in their right mind would test their barrels by lodging a round midway down the tube then fire a live round behind it?? try that with a Gl*ck! Different peeps have different needs when it comes to a duty weapon (especially when training is minimal!!) and none are perfect for everybody but reliability is absolutely paramount regardless of price. HK delivers all the above with shooter friendly features, next to an AK in practicality but with more finesse. Maybe not as sexy looking as some external designs but form follows function, I use tools that work. Sexy may not cut it when your gun malfunctions at the time you need it the most and "perfection" is far off when your sidearm explodes at the firing range under controlled conditions. The true shooter knows that most major pistol platforms are acceptable and usable and with practice any shortcomings can be minimized, HK tends to come naturally for most experienced shooters. I got hit hard when I lost my job when the contract closed, I had to sell my firearms to make the bills, pistolwise I'm down to 1 USP and 1 vintage 1911, I miss the others that I had but I dont need them. My tools have to work and HK is my choice......'nuff said

#21 ·
Listen, and understand. That HK's are out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

#22 ·
The quality of H&K guns is just superb, you can trust your gun to do the job. I was just some time back in a training session and shot with one of my H&K USP guns 1350 submachine rounds in two days without any problems.

#23 ·
I have became passionate about this brand because of the reliability, accuracy, long term durability (of gun and all components), balance and smoothness. I will agree that glocks are reliable and I like the platform (i own two and wife owns one) but no company puts their firearms through the type of test that hk does -- and I believe that they are more reliable and durable than glocks ESP is higher cal than 9mm because of this. Just look at pistol-training.com and the test of the hk45 (heck even the p30) and you can see that the over engineering really pays off. If you gave me the choice between hk and (insert any other firearms here) in a really bad situation I am going to choose hk every time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.