HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kind of new to the HK and the P7, so forgive me if I am missing something. Many people on this forum have said things to the effect of "Chantilly good, others bad" with P7's. Not quite what was said, but basically. What is the difference? Was it not just the place of import? Weren't they all made in Germany? Why is Chantilly more desirable and others less so?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
No, they're all good.
Chantilly imported the least amount of P7's IIRC, therefore making them more "rare".

·
Registered
729 Posts
Because some guys spend more time staring at their guns than they do shooting them.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Because some guys spend more time staring at their guns than they do shooting them.
Agree. And painting over any little scratch that might be an "eye sore" LOL

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
There were some slight improvements made to the P7 that beefed up the overall safety of the gun (although generally not significant changes); I believe these changes happened in the early Chantilly guns. So, depending on date code, there may be a logical reason for wanting to know about the different versions and date codes (despite what the less educated proclaim to know about everyone else). Additionally, some people don't care for the legal "Warning" on some of the later guns:

Import Markings

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-refer...list-associated-manufacture-import-years.html

I'm kind of new to the HK and the P7, so forgive me if I am missing something. Many people on this forum have said things to the effect of "Chantilly good, others bad" with P7's. Not quite what was said, but basically. What is the difference? Was it not just the place of import? Weren't they all made in Germany? Why is Chantilly more desirable and others less so?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I'm just glad the barrel isn't the size of the flare guns, otherwise, it would get down right biblical.
LOL :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys are twisted. I knew I liked it here for some reason.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Beside the aforementioned update Chantilly's also have a fatter trigger that the later M8's which some prefer. I personally prefer not to have the warning on the slide but its purely asthetic. To me personally there is a completely irrational preference for a Chantilly stamp on the side of an M8.

PHOTO BY JODY L

·
Banned
397 Posts
No, they're all good.
Chantilly imported the least amount of P7's IIRC, therefore making them more "rare".
makin'me laff! That's like the line about a bad restaurant, "the food was terrible but at least the servings were small."

I can't think of any quality related issues and aside from the "billboard" maybe a difference in sights or something. In my pricing tracks the average difference between Chantilly and every thing else is not much.

All HK p7M8s and M13s: 411 average Price: $1,423
All Chantilly 55 average: price: $1,457
All Non Chantilly: 356 average price $1,405

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Here is the upgrade I mentioned earlier:

Remember the P7 is unconventional in many ways which is why many stay clear of it. It is not a redundant component and with proper operator use and care they rarely ever need attention and rarely break, at least the newest style versions that were introduced in the late 1980's and early 1990's. Most all of the used P7's had the new drop safety parts installed prior to resale.
And no the squeeze cocker does not need to be depressed (by the shooters hand) for the firing pin to be cocked. The DSC was added to the P7 design in the 1980's after a German police officer dropped a loaded P7 by accident while climbing stairs in a building. By bad luck the pistol struck the stairs at just the right angle that the impulse from the impact drove the firing pin rearward and the sear lever downward which allowed the energized firing pin free access to the waiting chambered round - and BANG. The "redundant" DSC prevents this as the trigger would also have to be pulled to lower the sear lever (and DSC) from engagement with the wing of the firing pin. We tested this extensivley in the 1980's to make sure there was no chance it could happen. BUT the DSC must be in place and complete.

G3Kurz

·
Registered
219 Posts
I like to caress mine in addition to just staring.
I wish I could caress or even stare at mine. I have put up with this Colt POS that the Army issued me and envy the German and Croation soldiers with their G36K and Cs. Hell, I saw an Afghan security guard with an MP5K, its not fair, Damn it!!

·
I Bleed Urban Gray
2,706 Posts
Oh, that's an easy fix. Just ask your armorer to issue you two Colts and then trade one with one of the Germans. You know how much they love American stuff, they'll be happy to trade ya!
You can do that right?...

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I have a different take on this. I have several Chantilly's. M13 has in fact been relegated to bottom of the safe duty. I have a pair of M8's with a ton of holster wear and a lot of silver showing. For me, the Chantilly years were when the P7 "M" series guns were at their height of really being a practical carry gun for L.E. use and were HK's premier pistol. They were where all of HK's pistol attention and advertising was. Prior to this is it was the P9, and after, the push was towards the USP series. It was a time of no warnings, when many "dialed in" folks were using P7's as primary pistols, and was its "Golden Age". It was also the period when I bought my first P7's, so I always tend to prefer this time frame.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts