HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure most members on this forum are familiar with the movie Collateral directed by Michael Mann and staring Tom Cruise playing the hitman Vincent. If you haven't seen the movie you really owe it to yourself to check it out, but please let's not get into a discussion about Tom Cruise the actor.

What I'm curious about is if anyone knows specifically why the full size USP 45 was chosen as his sidearm in this movie, IWB no less! The director Michael Mann is known to be very knowledgable and specific about the firearms he uses in his movies. The full size USP45 was also used in his other movie Heat so I think the USP is well known to him. It's such a large bulky weapon, I would have expected Mann to have used a 1911 or a USP Compact at the very least for the character of Vincent if he was going to carry concealed IWB. Evidently Cruise also trained with the weapon extensively for the movie so it wasn't a minor decision by any means. It also wasn't like his character used it then disposed of it, his USP was almost a costar in the film.

Anyway, I'd appreciate the insight if anyone read an interview with Mann or Cruise and knows what the reasons were for using the USP.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Probably the same reason Hans Gruber used a P7M13. Or the getaway driver in Bullitt drove a black 68’ Dodge Charger R/T.

They’re sleek, sexy, businesslike tools for a professional villain.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't call the USP sleek. Businesslike tool yes, but sleek? More like a doorstop. Love mine by the way, so I'm not throwing shade on your comment.

·
Registered
70 Posts
As far as USP vs 1911, the club scene showed he needed more than 7+1 just in case security got trigger happy. That does drag in the .45 vs 9mm argument though.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
From older posts way way back, someone with knowledge and connections to Hollywood, said that the main person giving weapon's advice in the movies back in the 80's and 90's had a strong affinity for HKs.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
...because Michael Mann in addition to always having some of the most realistic gun play on film, Mann has always historically had a decent understanding of how weapons are used/employed in reality as well as what achieves an effect on film. Look at the IMFDB for most of his works.

In terms of story:
Vincent is a pro or to use his words from the movie "guy with a lot of trigger time" so he's probably able to exploit performance differences.
However, Vincent is having the weapon(s) dropped for him, so likely he's not going to spec some fancy BS unobtainium.
The USP is a good mix of atypical but utilitarian to achieve what a dialed-in dude might choose for a COTS handgun.

In terms of visuals, compacts/short barrels always look kinda sad on film. Look at Dirty Harry's 29, Wick's comp'd P30, Leon's comp'd 92s, Robocops 93r monstrosity, Caan's .45 Longslide in Thief and so on...

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
From older posts way way back, someone with knowledge and connections to Hollywood, said that the main person giving weapon's advice in the movies back in the 80's and 90's had a strong affinity for HKs.
Negative, Beretta rode that wave hardcore and then Glock also capitalized on it after them.

...at least in terms of pistols. A lot of MP5 use for a while (some using the same guns over and over and over)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I know you said you didn't want to hear about Tom Cruise, the actor, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that full-size USP45's are official issue to Scientologists. John Travolta insisted on a Mark23, because he is a bigger dude.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I know you said you didn't want to hear about Tom Cruise, the actor, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that full-size USP45's are official issue to Scientologists. John Travolta insisted on a Mark23, because he is a bigger dude.
You are kidding, right?

·
Registered
89 Posts
They probably shot some test scenes with different handguns, and determined that one had the best look. Also, HK may have paid for product placement, and either insisted on the USP, or let them pick from several HK models.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
My thought is Vicent wants something that is tough, reliable, and with something with high quality. Don’t know much about his briefcase or suit, so not sure if they are expensive. Nonetheless he needed something to be reliable and pack a punch with .45 ACP in case he ran into some drug dealers trying to rob him:p

1 - 20 of 38 Posts