HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the proliferation of clones these days why would someone cut up an original HK to make a 51 or 53 or even MP5 clone. The gun is still a clone of an original (except 51) even if it is a German gun and it destroys the value of the original gun. Takes another gun out of the loop and makes the remaining few even more expensive.
Seems to me since there is a clone of every caliber that any thing else could be built on that instead of ruining an original. It breaks my heart to see a like new original cut up to make something else of it.
Kind of like hacking up an original P-51 airframe to build a racer out of it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Because real HK guns work without screwing with them. The work even better with registered sears. Have you seen what some of these "chopped up" and brought to true spec HK guns are selling for? I don't think anyone would agree that they lose value.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
With the proliferation of clones these days why would someone cut up an original HK to make a 51 or 53 or even MP5 clone. The gun is still a clone of an original (except 51) even if it is a German gun and it destroys the value of the original gun.
I have never seen a HK94 converted to MP5 Spec (sans sear), that had less value. I see this issue the exact opposite - I am surprised their are any HK94 stock guns left. Way more valuable if converted.

·
Registered
242 Posts
With the proliferation of clones these days why would someone cut up an original HK to make a 51 or 53 or even MP5 clone. The gun is still a clone of an original (except 51) even if it is a German gun and it destroys the value of the original gun. Takes another gun out of the loop and makes the remaining few even more expensive.
Seems to me since there is a clone of every caliber that any thing else could be built on that instead of ruining an original. It breaks my heart to see a like new original cut up to make something else of it.

I have to agree 100%!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
One day there very well may be a really small number of stock HK94s left. I see this happening more to this rifle than the 91 or 93.
In the end many people want quality- HK quality- and won't settle for anything less.

·
Registered
390 Posts
No USA made clone is HK spec & will probably never be. The only reciever that is close is the JLD & it too is slightly out of spec but not near as bad as the Vector reciever. I have owned more than enough of them and wasted too much time & money trying to make them work. Shure I rather do mag dumps & abuse a clone than my real HK,s but there is nothing like having the real deal that you can bet your life upon if needed. The only HK rifle that seems not to have a real high resale value is a HK91 converted into a HK51 but it still should bring your money back if the gun for the build was bought right.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
It doesn't at all destroy the value of the original gun. In many cases it increases it to more than the sum of the parts. Example: A semi-auto MP5 just sold here for over $6,000. It may have been built on a $3,000 HK94, paid $1,000 for the conversion, and maybe $1000 or so worth of full auto parts like the bolt carrier and trigger pack.

Same as with a 53 - $2,000 for a 93, $1,200 for a conversion, and $1500-$2000 for a 53 kit. (Where the hell were all these $1400 and $1500 53 kits about two months ago when I was buying them?). You're looking at $5200 in parts and labor for something that can easily sell for $6500.

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I never really thought of the conversions as adding value. Strange how it works. Take any other firearm and add $2000 worth of parts and features to it then try to sell it and nobody wants to give you what you have in it. With Hk it seems the rule don't apply.
It really seems like the HK world is a unique form of market with a very small but extremely dedicated following. More than any other firearm HK (long guns) hold their value better and increase in value faster. There is no depreciation what so ever in these guns or their parts and the fans with the means seem to be willing to pay rediculous amounts of $ to have them.

Where did the mystique come from? Why do people follow the red HK like a moth to the flame? I don't buy that it's the quality. There are many very high quality arms available that don't have a cult following. I don't buy that the guns are really popular or practical, either. Before the ban in 1989 most shops I visited couldn't sell a 94 for cost! Nobody wanted a big, heavy, stamped steel, under powered sub gun wannabe.

Until people were told they couldn't have them anymore. Then the "movement" started.
It's something I question about myself, really. Why I like HK is a mystery to even myself. I think it's kind of silly on one hand then on the other I KNOW if I had $6k to burn I'd have a converted 94. Or, say, $20k, I'd have a sear in that converted 94. Lucky I don't have the $ I guess.

Just a little funny, back when the guns were still imported and available all the conversions and collections could have been had for a lot less money but, at least where I come from, a person never heard of such a thing. I knew a few guys that were HK addicts but very few and only two guys who actually had 94s converted to MP5s. I saw thousands of shooters a year as I worked in a gun range/shop for ten years.
Maybe it's just the natural gathering of info that occurs because of the nature of the internet making it seem much more prevelant today but the interest seems huge as compared to 19 years ago. So much so that it's created a whole new industry that delivers a product that imitates the original, but harder to get, product.

I don't know. At this time in my life every dollar I get is hard earned and I can imagine I'd have a hard time giving the green light to cut up a gun I had saved for two years to buy, even if I was having it cut up to make it something even more valuable.

·
Registered
10,256 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have never seen a HK94 converted to MP5 Spec (sans sear), that had less value. I see this issue the exact opposite - I am surprised their are any HK94 stock guns left. Way more valuable if converted.
There are stock HK94s left because not all states allow SBRs.

Of course when I move to someplace that allows them, I will probably convert mine too... :)

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Approx 48,000 HK91's imported into the U.S. and approx 18,000 HK 93's.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE convert the hell out of 'em so when they become impossible to find, mine will be worth a mint :D

See? we all DO all need eachother and CAN get along :)

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
By the time that happens....you won't be able to legally own a gun.

·
Registered
280 Posts
In the hot rod, muscle car world, these kinds of creations are called "Resto-Mods". Not quite Restored, and not entirely Modified.

One takes a plain-jane model and mods it to look like a high-end model that it never was. Usually there are performance enhancements made as well as cosmetic ones. Example, a plain '66 Mustang fastback is "converted" into a Shelby GT350 clone.

The Resto-Mod typically has more worth than the original donor car, to most, but obviously it will never be worth as much as the real deal which it is trying to emulate.

Strict collectors of Concours cars cringe and shudder at the thought of modifying an "original" car as in their opinion a 100% stock 32 year old car, or one restored to look that way, is worth far more than any modified car. But the "drivers" out there love going faster and looking cooler while doing it, so they "Resto-Mod" their cars. As long as one never tries to actually push off their creation as an original, where's the harm?

Taking a 94 and "converting" it into a MP5 makes the HK "drivers" happy but the purists may justifiably cringe. Again, a 94 will never be a real MP5, but it certainly can look and function like one. Just don't seriously try to convince the next owner that it is or ever was a real MP5. That would be an outright lie. And much as checking out the VIN on the plain Mustang would reveal it to not actually be a Shelby, running the serial number of a converted MP5 though HK would reveal it's original history as that of a pedestrian 94.

In the end it's your money, spend it how you want. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Why? People are different. And hey, don't tell somebody else is wrong. Let 'em tune up, or ruin down.

SAM

ps. I can't touch my Hks, they're 100% original, and so be it.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Why? People are different. And hey, don't tell somebody else is wrong. Let 'em tune up, or ruin down.

SAM

ps. I can't touch my Hks, they're 100% original, and so be it.
Nobody is claiming right or wrong on either side... just friendly insight on why people do or don't. Two schools, two thoughts, that's all.

By the time that happens....you won't be able to legally own a gun.
Well hell, all you HK "drivers" get crackin' on those conversions!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts