HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The trigger measures 5-5.5 lbs with no creep like the Glock 19. That in my opinion makes it better, not less safe, but I keep seeing posts how it is too light to carry.

Keeping your finger off the trigger and problem solved or am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I don't see where the VP9 is any different in the realm of safety than any other striker-fire.

I have a VP9, and I don't find the pull to be too light for a carry gun.

“We used to carry knives,” he said. “Now we have to carry keys.” China Fences In Its Nomads, and an Ancient Life Withers; Andrew Jacobs; New York Times; July 12, 2015.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I haven't heard that but it might just be a sour grapes defensive mechanism for fans of other strikers with worse triggers. "Eh, I wouldn't want that gun anyway, the trigger is unsafe."

·
Registered
667 Posts
There are a lot of people who believe that striker pistols with no safeties are inherently unsafe. Lots of people get away with it of course. I wouldn't carry one, at least not without one of those mechanisms that lets you block the striker by holding the back of the slide with your thumb. I don't think it's really that the VP9 is mechanically flawed, it's just designed around a plan that some people think is a bad idea.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
James FTW! Thanks for the chuckle James!! My favorite meme on the internet is the hand dryer that has a button and written on it says "press here for a short speech from Hillary Clinton" haha

·
Registered
446 Posts
I don't think of striker-fired pistols like the VP9 and Glock as unsafe (there's one of each in my household). I do believe they are inherently "less safe," in the sense that they are less forgiving of mishandling, but not "unsafe."

There are no absolutes here, rather varying degrees or layers of mishandling protection. The key here isn't figuring out whether the gun you will use is "safe" (there is no such thing) it's figuring out what is the acceptable level of risk to you. The only unsafe guns are those that are so poorly made or damaged that they may damage you or fail to function at the worst time.

-- Like a striker-fired gun, a revolver has no manual safety, but it adds a heavy, long DA pull to the strikers' keep-your-finger-away-from-the-trigger safety -- one additional layer.

-- A DA/SA hammer-fired pistol has a hammer you can thumb while holstering -- another layer.

-- A DA/SA pistol may have a manual safety -- a further layer.

-- etc.

LEM with or without a manual safety and 1911s with a thumb safety (and with or without a Series '80 firing pin block) fall somewhere in between.

The fact that someone isn't comfortable with a striker-fired gun is no grounds for calling the gun unsafe. As long as you recognize that there are fewer protections against an ND inherent in a striker-fired VP9, Glock, P320, etc., and you judge your skills and your needs in your operating environment such that you are willing to accept that higher level of risk, a striker-fired pistol is "safe enough" for you.

My primary CCW guns are LEM-triggered guns with manual safeties, carried with the safety off (safety used only for non-carry tasks, like moving about in the house between the bench and the safe). My VP9 is a range toy/nightstand gun. The fact that I'm more comfortable with the additional protection layers of a long trigger pull and a thumb-able hammer during carry than I am with my VP9 wouldn't justify my telling someone else the VP9 is "unsafe."

Would I counsel a new shooter away from a striker-fired pistol? No -- I'd explain in detail the plusses/minuses of all the options and tell them they should make a choice only after considering their needs and skills, and the consequences of screwing up. Making an informed decision as to the level of acceptable risk is their call.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Historical prospective and human psychology. A 1911 was an original single weight trigger pull, short trigger travel gun. It is carried cocked and locked, with thumb safety and grip safety functional. You take a series 80 1911, weld its thumb safety down, pin its grip safety, and set it at 5.5 lbs - and it will be nearly identical to modern strikers from intrinsic safety standpoint. Then ask people to carry it, cocked, unlocked, grip safety pinned, and the reply will be hell no, see that hammer cocked, looks dangerous. Many DA/SA guns have SA pull in line with striker trigger pulls weight-wise; try holstering one without decocking and everyone will call a safety violation. No problem with carrying strikers though 'cause you cant see that cocked ignition device...

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I do not consider the VP9 an unsafe arm. However, for CCW, I prefer the LEM triggers since they have that long take up which allows for less risk of AD when the adrenaline is pumping and one is going under a shirt and with a waistband to draw. Heavier DA pulls do that as well. For me, the shorter trigger travel and 5.5# weight is a bit too short/light a combo for me to prefer it for a CCW. However, there is nothing unsafe at all with the VP. It just comes down to personal preferences and reasons. For duty use OWB, I see it as a much better choice over a block, IMO.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I personally feel a little uncomfortable re-holstering a striker gun. As was mentioned by others, I like to place my thumb on the hammer while holstering. Not having this option on a pistol like a Glock or a VP9 means that I'm only going by feel -- hoping to sense any resistance when holstering the gun unless I'm watching the gun go into the holster. I know I might be paranoid, but the idea of holstering a loaded striker-fired pistol into an appendix carry holster really skeeves me out.

·
Banned
2,002 Posts
Training Training Training!! Not going to "JINX" Myself, I have been around them side their inception without issue. If you do your part right it will do its part right and you will never have an issue. If you are forgetful or clumsy, might reconsider!!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I personally feel a little uncomfortable re-holstering a striker gun. As was mentioned by others, I like to place my thumb on the hammer while holstering. Not having this option on a pistol like a Glock or a VP9 means that I'm only going by feel -- hoping to sense any resistance when holstering the gun unless I'm watching the gun go into the holster. I know I might be paranoid, but the idea of holstering a loaded striker-fired pistol into an appendix carry holster really skeeves me out.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gadget-a-striker-control-device#/

Made for people like you and I, and a reason why Glocks are the only strikers that I own. Unfortunately, there have been a lot of delays in getting it to the open market.

·
Super Moderator
6,059 Posts
People say lots of things that are untrue. Just look at Hillary Clinton. She's a pro at it.
Sir you win the Day, I award you all of the week's points.

As to the VP9, it's as safe as you are. People love mechanical safeties. I like a nice LEM for sure, and if I'm holstering it in the front, I worry way less. I will say I take much more time and put much more effort into holstering a striker gun. But it's not "Less safe" honestly. You just can't thumb over hammer when holstering it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Any quality gun is going to be equally safe regardless of trigger mechanism as long as the basic rules of handling a firearm are followed.

Now when you introduce the human user some trigger mechanisms provided more forgiveness and extra layers of protection vs others.

I think what some people are saying is they don't feel comfortable carrying a fully cocked striker gun do to their own recognition that they too are not immune to mistakes or lapse in awareness concerning gun handling.

Seems like a straight forward thought process and don't see why someone's else's choice should be compared or effect someone else choice.

·
Registered
67 Posts
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gadget-a-striker-control-device#/

Made for people like you and I, and a reason why Glocks are the only strikers that I own. Unfortunately, there have been a lot of delays in getting it to the open market.
Concept is great however I am more afraid of extra "safety" do-dads than I am about snagging the trigger on the way into a holster. Personally, I just insert the pistol into the holster first before putting it on to get around it. I also practice the draw and re-holster with an empty gun.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts