HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across some more reviews on USP's and AGAIN the reviewer was bashing the mag release. Am I missing something? I dont solely own HK's so I have other mag release types but I dont have a problem going back and forth. Maybe it is because the first handgun I owned was a USP FS .45 so I learned the functions but if you had never used one and listened to reviewers you would think they were verboten! I know it's a matter of opinion but from a functionality perspective what the big deal? I have never accidentally dropped the mag while shooting even under stress.

Am I missing something???

:330:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I love the Ambi mag release because I'm a lefty. I think people just don't understand how to use it properly and aren't willing to put forth the training to become competent with it, so it's just easier to bash it as terrible.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Seems like the people that bash it don't even know how to use it properly and try to use their thumb like on a regular mag release.
This is usually to keep consistency thru multiple platforms. However, not always the case. Everyone has their own method!
The haters usually have no time on the gun. So, naturally their preferred platform....glock, 1911, every other gun manufacturer, etc....will seem better.
I think HK is faster (I use my middle finger) ....

·
Registered
193 Posts
That release came out of necessity with the P7 series pistols as they could not have a push button release because of the squeeze cocker. Also the P7 was mostly ambidextrouse so they continued the theme with the mag release. Soon after people realized that mag release could be manipulated with the trigger finger without shifting your grip and that made it superior to the traditional style push button release. Now HK puts it on all of the pistols. Funny how designs improvments developed sometimes.

·
Premium Member
5,016 Posts
The problem, it's different. Different manual of arms from the "others." We all know the merits of the "Euro" mag release; however, those knocking the platform are accustomed to the push button mag release. For those who compete or train extensively, mixing the manual of arms does create an issue. Ever go out to the range and reach for that button that isn't there? Now, imagine doing that when seconds count.

I choose to standardize on the "Euro" paddle release and own nothing other.

·
Registered
854 Posts
The short answer...because reviewers are all Glock fan-boys who are resistant to embrace something with obvious superiority...and since they can't find ANYTHING ELSE to b**ch about they hate on the mag release...

I take it as a compliment to my chosen platform

·
Registered
218 Posts
When the USPf pistols were first introduced, they had the wider mag release levers (original).
I believe they were replaced with the narrower levers (current) to alleviate the problem of the mags sometimes dropping while shooting.
Then the HK45c mod was discovered which some people really like. To others, this mod brought back the unintential mag dropping problem.
I think it has to do with the way one grasps the gun - thumbs forward vs thumbs down...

Top-bottom: Original, HK45c, Current

It takes a while for some folks to retrain their brain to "push down" not "push in"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts