HKPRO Forums banner

Why does HK have to reinvent the wheel... MR762 rant.

2K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Crashmc 
#1 ·
So I have had a LOT of AR15s (and still have quite a few), which gives me a ton of spare parts... one of those spare parts was a brand new AR10 Timney trigger. Since a simple modification made it fit in my MR556, I was quite excited to just stick one in here and do the same modification.

Then I realized HK wouldn't let me have that sort of fun. What kind of stupid reasoning can they make up to put a small AND a large fire control group pin in? The hammer pin is (I am assuming, didn't mic it) like the older Large Colt pins, and the trigger pin is a standard AR15. Needless to say, I was quite annoyed having to put it back together with no neat new modifications today. Im sure Timney can just swap the front for the large pin bushing, but now I will have to wait until tomorrow!

#3 ·
Hah that was probably me! Timney is a block from me and already offered to put it in, I was just being impatient as I want to take it out this weekend. They installed their trigger in my MR556 and made the appropriate modifications so it operated flawlessly, I'm sure the same outcome will happen with this one.

#7 ·
when it cools off, I will bring my 13 inch Scar 17 out and see how they do against each other. MAC tested the Scar 16 against the HK MR762 and said they were pretty close on accuracy, but that scar barrel heats up quick and the groups grow (especially suppressed, the groups drop quite a bit!) where the HK I'm hoping lasts longer before needing to cool down. I bought a bunch of 168 gr Amax bullets to load as the Amax projectile flies a bit better and seems to be more consistent when it goes transonic, its just too hot still to go work up loads right now and I haven't loaded 308 in a while.

#8 ·
What kind of stupid reasoning can they make up to put a small AND a large fire control group pin in?
I bet that HK, when designing HK417, did not want their LE/mil customers that will adopt both 41x rifles to mix-match HK416 hammers with HK417 hammers.

#13 ·
Very... family owned business and ALL of the employees are super nice! I spoke with the technician doing the work and explained the rifle to him in person and got a tour last time! Great people and that's why they get all my business.
They are up on 19th ave just south of Deer valley.

#16 ·
I don't understand why HK world be on the hook for you wanting to insert parts designed for other firearms into their weapons. I'd no one reinvented the wheel we would be discussing flint types that best work in our flintlock. Now If their parts don't fit in their firearms you would have a legit gripe.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Its simple, HK "redesigned" the AR15, but in doing so, added a bunch of proprietary parts that have been working fine since the invention of the AR15. Something such as changing just the hammer pin to a large pin, but leaving the trigger pin as small, just seems silly to me (beyond the HUGE buffer tube and buffer so no aftermarket stocks work, stupid expensive magazines etc). Your comparison also sucks, they didn't reinvent anything, they took a system that already worked fine, added a bunch of fancy features that no other company will assimilate, and then doubled the price of the competition. If you want a reinvention, see the Scar and similar battle rifles, which while they aren't exactly an engineering feat (the inside of the scar looks painfully similar to the G36), they did "reinvent" the battle rifle.

HK simply took an already existing car, stuffed an engine no one else can work on, changed the bolt pattern on the wheels to something no one else makes wheels for, used a computer no one else has access to, then charged $100,000 when the competition offering the exact same thing that uses auto zone parts and common pieces is $40,000.

That being said, im an HK fanboy and bought one anyway, which gives me the right to complain.

#19 ·
Hah! Ok, the self operating robots moving parts into the CNCs were pretty neat as well and watching all the triggers made, but I had never seen a wire EDM machine before. I understand there not being a "mil spec" for AR10s, which is true seeing as even today we still have the AR10 Armalite style and the SR25 everything else style, however the MAJORITY of bolt on parts and accessories are pretty consistent through them (buffer tube diameter with regards to stocks, not so much size or weight of buffers). At least if its as simple as the older Colt large pin on front, and a standard AR15 pin in the rear, it will be a quick bushing swap and likely a similar modification to the rear of the trigger that they did on the MR556. Maybe HKs goal wasn't an AR15/AR10 style rifle with this other than basic appearance (Wouldn't be the first time, however most companies with near similar rifles change the piston setups completely to introduce folding stocks and other features such as the ACR, Sig 556, Beretta ARX100 and many other platforms designed to try and replace the AR15, which obviously HK already had with the G36, HK93 etc, unless they just wanted an alternative "modernized" AR15).

Who knows. I love the rifle, I just have my little gripes since I have a large collection of AR parts which generally don't work on these.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.