HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My experience with roll pins even when using the correct size roll pin punch to install and remove has not been completely positive. I was taught they have a one time use, i.e., take one out, replace with a new. That being the case, I am curious why HK in particular uses a roll pin to secure the grip panel (I have a P2000) vs. a solid polymer or metal pin like Glock and other gun makers. I really like my new P2000 but I noticed after firing the first 150 rounds the grip panel roll pin was walking a little, no big deal but still, we're talking HK here :). I hope it's the roll pin and not the hole in the grip panel being slightly out of spec. The good thing is that roll pins are cheap and I intend to try a new one. Worse case scenario, I try a new grip panel. Any thoughts? This is not a ding against HK per se, I am just trying to learn as much about my new gun as possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Roll pins are just that, cheap.

It's cheaper in that HK doesn't have to manufacture a particular pin for just one application. They can just purchase a stock off the shelf item.

Roll pins also allow the parts to have a greater variance and still fit together.

They also use roll pins to secure parts that otherwise don't have any fastening mechanisms like the ambi safety on the USP series.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Roll pins are just that, cheap."

Call me naive but I would hope that is not the reason. I could understand it for a less expensive gun but even Keltec uses solid pins.

·
Registered
22 Posts
"Roll pins are just that, cheap."

Call me naive but I would hope that is not the reason. I could understand it for a less expensive gun but even Keltec uses solid pins.
Especially when the HK is a few hundred dollars more. I love my new HK, but its still half plastic. Theres no way it cost that much to make...but I still love it

·
Registered
802 Posts
When it comes down to it, HK is still in the business to make money. If you can save $5 on one part x 20,000 guns, that's $100,000 in profits.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When it comes down to it, HK is still in the business to make money. If you can save $5 on one part x 20,000 guns, that's $100,000 in profits.
Good grief how much does a boatload of plastic pins cost?? Not $5 a pop! I don't buy it sorry.

·
Banned
366 Posts
The grip panel on my HK P2000 doesn't use a roll pins. Mine is a solid pin design. Did they change something?

The only roll pins in my P2000 are the ones that are NOT intended to be user serviced. I assume HK does replace them if you ever send your gun in for repair work.

*kdogg* shrugs.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Let see, Numerich sells the pin used to hold the lanyard block on the USP series for $11. So Numerich probably purchased the pin from HK for about $8. Typically the manufacturer will sell for double what it cost. So that pin is about $4 a piece to make. Replace that part with a roll pin, like the pin that comes with the Jet Funnel kit, even at low volume, a roll pin will cost about $0.10 or less.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The roll pin in my Mark 23's recoil assembly has been working its way out such that it begins to intercept the main recoil spring during range firing, which isn't much in terms of round count.

I finally decided to drop some medium strength thread locker in it, but I don't know if it will hold.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sig uses roll pins too, and their guns costs more than HK, so is my S&W, and I never had any trouble with roll pins, except I don't like taking them out.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The roll pin in my Mark 23's recoil assembly has been working its way out such that it begins to intercept the main recoil spring during range firing, which isn't much in terms of round count.

I finally decided to drop some medium strength thread locker in it, but I don't know if it will hold.
In a gun costing what the P2000 does, I expect the best possible parts. If Glock, XD, and the rest of the polymer boys can incorporate solid pins with success, IMHO so can HK. I had the same problem with a roll pin in my S&W M&P. It kept walking. To my knowledge, albeit I am not familiar with every gun sold today, the majority rely on solid pins, either polymer of steel. Don't get me wrong, I really like my P2000 but there is always room and justification for refinements. Effectively holding parts together under extreme recoil just makes good sense. I never had a problem either in my Sig with a roll pin but then again, in the P series, the primary parts are either steel or alloy. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. At any rate, it's no big deal all things considered. I just thought I'd bring the issue up for discussion.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Considering that pistols on the market costing from $300 to $3000, a P2000 isn't exactly an expensive high end pistol.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Considering that pistols on the market costing from $300 to $3000, a P2000 isn't exactly an expensive high end pistol.
It is for ME!

Bottom line, if a cheaper part will perform as well, I have no problem with it. If a cheaper part cannot perform to standards because it is a substandard part, and a more expensive/different design part would perform better, then I'll take the latter any day of the week as long as I can justify the cost/benefit. Would a solid pin, plastic or metal have less of a tendency to walk in the P2000's grip panel, I don't know. Could it simply be that the holes in my grip panel might be a hair over-diameter or the roll pin slightly under-diameter from removing and re-installing even once, I don't know that either but it all makes for good discussion. :)

Just to be on the safe side, I've ordered an extra grip panel and some more roll pins to keep on hand. Cheap insurance in my opinion.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Using a roll pin requires you to replace it each time. Driving them in and out can enlarge the holes too. Roll pins are cheap, the P2000 uses standard 3mm x 20mm roll pins, you can get them for $1.64/10. McMaster Carr P/N 91610A410.

The alternative is to make a pin that is smaller in diameter in the middle than on the ends, this is what's done on the USP. This makes the part removal without replacement. It also prevents the pin from walking. It does cost HK a lot more money to make.

Which is a better choice, the solid pin of course.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've never heard of a P2000 owner ever having problems with the backstrap roll pin. The stress test run on the P2000 by a member here ran into no specific problems with this area of the gun. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Haizum,

Great avatar! I know the WWP well, great bunch and helped out my marine Sgt. Eddie Ryan a great deal. Met a few other guys as well over the past 1 1/2. Nothing better than volunteering time for our all volunteer military!

Back to roll pins, thanks for the McMaster Carr P# just in case!

Now I need a good lanyard.

Billy

·
Registered
802 Posts
The McMaster Carr P/N is for P2000 ONLY! I don't know what the other sizes are. And these are for stainless steel roll pins. The regular steel ones that just about everyone uses are $11.17/200.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The McMaster Carr P/N is for P2000 ONLY! I don't know what the other sizes are. And these are for stainless steel roll pins. The regular steel ones that just about everyone uses are $11.17/200.

Scooter, thanks much. Is there a McMaster Carr P/N for the regular steel ones ($11.17/200)? Much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts