HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a new Bobcat BW89 today in SGF. Took it home, loaded 30rnds of Fiocchi 115 FMJ and headed out back.

Every 4th round I had a FTE/FTF and each time I pulled the cocking handle back, the bullet that fell out looked like this below. Fired 4 rounds, 1 FTE/FTF and the same consistent thing hanppened. Look at the rounds, the case is bent somewhat and the bullet is definately bent. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
The good news is that it may not be all that hard to fix.

Did you clean it before you shot it? First, clean the chamber really well with a brush and some solvent. Then try it again. If that doesn't fix it, I'd next try and replace the extractor spring with an HK part. Next step would be the extractor itself.

It may need more work, but for now it looks like you have an extraction problem.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Picked up a new Bobcat BW89 today in SGF. Took it home, loaded 30rnds of Fiocchi 115 FMJ and headed out back.

Every 4th round I had a FTE/FTF and each time I pulled the cocking handle back, the bullet that fell out looked like this below. Fired 4 rounds, 1 FTE/FTF and the same consistent thing hanppened. Look at the rounds, the case is bent somewhat and the bullet is definately bent. Any ideas?

Your "new" Bobcat is probably an old gun. It might need a few parts replaced, as AviatorDave describes.

It might even need a hammer spring replacement if those other parts don't help.

What type of magazine were you using? The American ones don't work very well.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
the good bolts in the early days were machined from billet from rimcountrymfg.com Then to cut costs a m.i.m mold was built to make the bolt for less.
Thanks for the insight into the parts.

Please explain what is a m.i.m. mold?

·
Registered
93 Posts
M.I.M.=metal injection molding if I remember correctly. Although I must say mine looks like it was milled, maybe it was an earlier gun.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
What's the deal with posts #5-7? They are totally out of context, like they are replying to a completely different thread.

·
Registered
864 Posts
lol...im kinda confused on this one too...Im thinking something got deleted for some reason or another...other than that, topic seems to have gotten off thread...did this issue get resolved?

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
What's the deal with posts #5-7? They are totally out of context, like they are replying to a completely different thread.
I think some threads got merged and/or some posts got re-located. Weird stuff.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My SW5 did the same thing with ammo. Happens when I would have a FTF or FTE can't remember which one. I replaced the extraxtor spring and it did much better.

Sorry but I haven't shot it in over 7 years. Waiting on Form 1 paperwork before I take it to the range. Will let you know if I have any issues once I shoot it again.

Just snapped this pic real quick for you to see if it is similar to your situation. Normal 9mm is on right.

·
1,199 Posts
2 answers:

First, regarding the odd posts... They were replying to a post that was deleted by the user after others had replied.

Second, regarding the original poster's question. It looks to me like you are having extraction/ejection problems. I'd be willing to bet that the spent casing is still stuck inside the gun when the carrier travels forward and strips the next live round from the magazine.

With the spent casing not being ejected, the new cartridge nose dives, and the round is jammed into the breech at an angle. When this happens, and you lock open teh action and remove the magazine, you will have the spent casing and the buggered up live round both fall out with the mag.

There are many reasons why this could happen. Here's a list in most probable order:

1) The extractor spring is weak. If you can move teh extractor with your thumb. it probably needs replaced.

2) The area around teh extractor is dirty. Use a toothpick to clean out all the gunk.

3) The grip housing and trigger box are sitting too low or the ejector lever is worn. When this happens, the ejector lever doesn't ride up high enough into the channel on the bolt and therefore won't kick the casing out properly. You can put some electrician tape on the ledge of the receiver to see if you can get the front of the grip housing to ride higher.

4) The chamber area is gunked up.

5) Bolt gap is out of spec.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Msg to Dave

The good news is that it may not be all that hard to fix.

Did you clean it before you shot it? First, clean the chamber really well with a brush and some solvent. Then try it again. If that doesn't fix it, I'd next try and replace the extractor spring with an HK part. Next step would be the extractor itself.

It may need more work, but for now it looks like you have an extraction problem.
Dave, I thoroughly cleaned it, replaced the extractor spring with one of those new gold ones from BMP and tried a genuine HK mag, ran a few mags thru it and had only 1 FTE.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
26 Posts
FTE

I think the cleaning or the spring may be the main reason but the fiochi ammo is sometime loaded to a little hotter spec from the facorty and on some auto actions including the shotgun ammo it causes a faster recycle of the bolt and the action is not fully recovered and this appears as a FTE or a FTF. I have shot over 20k of the fiocchi rounds in various weapons over the last 10-12 years and more often it is a clean issue or a hot load thing in my cases.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts