HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally didn’t care about that when I form 1d my mp5 clone. I love the look of the A3F so I bought one. As soon as I put it on and held it up to my shoulder I couldn’t believe how far down I had to place my neck to get a sight picture. I heard it was inferior to the A2 but I didn’t think it would be as bad as it is. I tried shooting with it a few times and scrunching up my shoulder so I don’t have to put my head down as far but it just gives me a neck ache after a few rounds. Last week I got an A2 and I can’t believe the improvement, it almost is as comfortable to shoulder and get a sight picture as an AR. Am I doing something wrong or is it really just this bad? Only way I can get a good sight picture without stretching my neck down or my shoulder up is by putting the bottom point of the stock in my shoulder opposed to sitting the curve of the stock in my shoulder (as stocks should be used). If it is really this bad how the h3!! did this design make it out of the test period of the development stage at HK?? I feel like the stock needs to go down another 1.5inches or maybe it was designed to be used with optics on the claw mount??

·
Registered
627 Posts
It's no worse than the earlier style A3. Some might argue that is better. I think the reason some people don't like the F stock is that it doesn't fit the aesthetic. The MP5 is a legacy platform, with it's reputation cemented during a certain period of time... The F stock is not representative of that.

FWIW, you don't need to drive the stock into your shoulder. It has no recoil. You can rest the toe of the stock against your shoulder, and raise the weapon up to your face more.

The fixed stock is, and always has been, better, but with 9mm, it's really not that important. All of the German A3 stocks are functional. The correct answer is, and always has been, have multiple MP5s with all of the generations of stocks represented for maximum historical awesomeness.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's no worse than the earlier style A3. Some might argue that is better. I think the reason some people don't like the F stock is that it doesn't fit the aesthetic. The MP5 is a legacy platform, with it's reputation cemented during a certain period of time... The F stock is not representative of that.

FWIW, you don't need to drive the stock into your shoulder. It has no recoil. You can rest the toe of the stock against your shoulder, and raise the weapon up to your face more.

The fixed stock is, and always has been, better, but with 9mm, it's really not that important. All of the German A3 stocks are functional. The correct answer is, and always has been, have multiple MP5s with all of the generations of stocks represented for maximum historical awesomeness.
Yea I agree with pretty much everything you said especially that last paragraph lol. But it just seems so wrong to me to kinda rest the toe near the top of my shoulder instead of putting the curvature in my pocket. Idk why but it just seem weird and like Im using it as it wasn’t intended to be used. I come from a background in precision shooting where proper butt (plate or butt of stock) has proper contact with the shoulder, maybe I need to forget that lmao

·
Banned
151 Posts
I've used the b&t folder, a2, old a3, new a3, now back to b&t on my sbr'd z5rs. The a3 stock is the classic look of the mp5 but it really sucks to shoot it.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I found the A3 too wide for a low mount optic as well. It bothered me and made me curious. So, I measured the comb height & width relative to the sight height on a few firearms to find out the angle that dictates how canted or not one’s head is when shouldered. Those with 2 fork telescopic stock were the worst and are better with higher optics. My notes are below...

APC w/ standard folder = 79.8 deg, heads up
G36 w/ factory optic = 77.2
Arx100 w/ RSA (22mm optic plane) = 74.7
AR = 74.6
X95 = 72.2, tight cheek weld
Sp5 w/ TL (18mm optic plane) on low B&T mount = 68.8
Ghm9 w/ Nano (22mm optic plane) = 63.4

Raise the Sp5 optic 12mm for 72 degrees or 27mm for 75 degrees.
Raise the GHM optic 24mm for 72 degrees.

·
Priest of the P7
5,240 Posts
Collapsible stocks are only really necessary when the gun will be kept in a confined space or if you will need it to be smaller when strapped to you and not in use, like if you're jumping out of airplanes, roping, etc. I'm guessing that you're not doing that. It's a compromise and will not be as comfortable to use as a fixed stock. That's just reality.

They also will never look as cool as a fixed wooden stock. That is also just reality.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts