HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why not even a conversion? If HK copied FN and produced a 4.6 pistol and then sold their PDW as a pistol in the US market they could make stupid amounts of money right? Why did they never do this. FN fan boys are lining up to spend 1200-1400 on a PS90. You'd think that HK would do the same. Are they just butthurt that Nato chose the 5.7 over 4.6 or is it that 5.56 PDW are filling the market niche so well its more trouble than its worth?

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,222 Posts
H&K makes firearms for LE and mil contracts. There is no such requirement for a pistol in those calibers.
They did have a 4.6mm prototype, but it never went into production.

·
Registered
74 Posts
HK is not a company that desires to fill out every single market segment. Military/LE contracts first, which also happen to make for great marketing for civilian sales

·
Registered
162 Posts
HK is not a company that desires to fill out every single market segment. Military/LE contracts first, which also happen to make for great marketing for civilian sales
Except for when the US Military asks for a new replacement for the Beretta M9, and they don't bid on it. Not making an oddball caliber handgun I understand, it is definitely too small of a niche market.

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,222 Posts
Except for when the US Military asks for a new replacement for the Beretta M9, and they don't bid on it. Not making an oddball caliber handgun I understand, it is definitely too small of a niche market.
H&K did not bid on that because the request was so ambiguous as to not even specify which caliber they wanted. After being burned on multiple other DoD pistol replacement contracts over the last 20 years, all of which fizzled out (govt fraud, waste and abuse), H&K wisely stepped way from this latest one.

·
Registered
74 Posts
H&K did not bid on that because the request was so ambiguous as to not even specify which caliber they wanted. After being burned on multiple other DoD pistol replacement contracts over the last 20 years, all of which fizzled out (govt fraud, waste and abuse), H&K wisely stepped way from this latest one.
which I just find hilarious. I like to imagine HK exec's just rolling their eyes and laughing as they walk away

I love our country and all, but man the bureaucracy and political nonsense behind just choosing another sidearm is ridiculous. Was definitely smart of HK to just not waste their time!

·
Banned
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I would like it if they made a conversion for USP or MK23 that was 5.7 but now we are just getting into my fantasies.

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,557 Posts
Please keep this HK...

·
Registered
838 Posts
I guess I would like it if they made a conversion for USP or MK23 that was 5.7 but now we are just getting into my fantasies.
Heck, they could make a USP conversion for 6mm Flobert and I'd be all over it...

That said, if they made a 5.7 pistol before making a 10mm, I'd be a little annoyed.

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,222 Posts
Zero civilian market for it. VP9C/SK would be much more lucrative.
When those are offered, you can rest assured, it will be because their was a LE program request for them.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
HK is not a company that desires to actually make money.
Fixed it for you...... ;-)

Do not think that no one has suggested a 4.6 pistol to H&K....do not think no one has suggested a pistol version of the MP-7.....do not think no one has suggested what is now the SP5K for YEARS before H&K finally got the stick out.......this is not even debatable, count up the number of clone manufacturers none of whom would be in business except for H&K walking away from the table with money left on it. Never mind MKE and POF. MILLIONS in lost revenue. It's like if something would have the potential for runaway success, they want no part of it.

"Not worth it"? FN proved otherwise with the 5.7 pistol. There are thousands of fanboys who will buy anything H&K makes, regardless of actual utility. Civilian sales MK23, I'm looking at you....

H&K has been disfunctional for YEARS when it comes to actually servicing their customers, it has been remarked on in another thread by a member eminently placed to know WTF he's talking about that that H&K has not even serviced their MIL/LEO clients in an appropriate manner. Civilians? "You suck and we hate you." People thought that was funny only because of it's resemblance to reality, not for any other reason. H&K does not really want to sell guns to civilians, for the last 20 years they have resented having to do so to survive financially, and they have no compunction about cutting their own throat in order to maintain that outlook. Not having stockholders to answer to is the only reason they've been able to get away with that.

Much as I despise the Beretta M9, and much as I love the P7 series, the P7 was not IMHO suited to be a military issue handgun. Too many small parts and too hard for many armorers to work on, and probably not (just MHO, I have never abused one sufficiently to know for sure) suited to a field environment. It's a gun for a professional, not an Infantryman, and I say that having been both. The VP9 on the other hand.....

·
Registered
699 Posts
No market for it.
Even 357 Sig pistols seem to have been discontinued due to lack of demand.
Which is unfortunate, along with the LE push back to the 9mm. Means I'll likely never get the P30Sk in .40 / .357, so that sucks. That pistol would be my one and only carry gun if it were ever to be.

However...HK did develop and release the VP40, so that does give me some hope.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Why not even a conversion? If HK copied FN and produced a 4.6 pistol and then sold their PDW as a pistol in the US market they could make stupid amounts of money right? Why did they never do this. FN fan boys are lining up to spend 1200-1400 on a PS90. You'd think that HK would do the same. Are they just butthurt that Nato chose the 5.7 over 4.6 or is it that 5.56 PDW are filling the market niche so well its more trouble than its worth?
Search P46 or UCP - lots of info here on HK's prototype P46 pistol.
G3Kurz

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
there is no real or sustainable market for such pistol. The cost of the uncommon ammo combined with the likely high price of the gun itself, would likely result in limited sales.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I wish they would sell slides for conversion. This way they don't have to make a new line. Just buy a 10mm slide and barrel. I bought an SD 9 slide and barrel for my USB 40.

I don't recall the length of the 5.7 off hand but a lighter slide and barrel and magazines, in my ignorant opinion, should not be a problem for the brainiac engineers at HK.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Fixed it for you...... ;-)

Do not think that no one has suggested a 4.6 pistol to H&K....do not think no one has suggested a pistol version of the MP-7.....do not think no one has suggested what is now the SP5K for YEARS before H&K finally got the stick out.......this is not even debatable, count up the number of clone manufacturers none of whom would be in business except for H&K walking away from the table with money left on it. Never mind MKE and POF. MILLIONS in lost revenue. It's like if something would have the potential for runaway success, they want no part of it.

"Not worth it"? FN proved otherwise with the 5.7 pistol. There are thousands of fanboys who will buy anything H&K makes, regardless of actual utility. Civilian sales MK23, I'm looking at you....

H&K has been disfunctional for YEARS when it comes to actually servicing their customers, it has been remarked on in another thread by a member eminently placed to know WTF he's talking about that that H&K has not even serviced their MIL/LEO clients in an appropriate manner. Civilians? "You suck and we hate you." People thought that was funny only because of it's resemblance to reality, not for any other reason. H&K does not really want to sell guns to civilians, for the last 20 years they have resented having to do so to survive financially, and they have no compunction about cutting their own throat in order to maintain that outlook. Not having stockholders to answer to is the only reason they've been able to get away with that.

Much as I despise the Beretta M9, and much as I love the P7 series, the P7 was not IMHO suited to be a military issue handgun. Too many small parts and too hard for many armorers to work on, and probably not (just MHO, I have never abused one sufficiently to know for sure) suited to a field environment. It's a gun for a professional, not an Infantryman, and I say that having been both. The VP9 on the other hand.....

Of course, this is your opinion but a flawed one at best...where are you getting your information from anyway, especially about HK being so dysfunctional? Perhaps I'm missing something but I must call it as I see it- And what makes you an authority on which gun is best for a "professional" vs. an "infantryman"? Not quite sure what that even means...

·
Registered
667 Posts
I wish they would sell slides for conversion. This way they don't have to make a new line. Just buy a 10mm slide and barrel. I bought an SD 9 slide and barrel for my USB 40.

I don't recall the length of the 5.7 off hand but a lighter slide and barrel and magazines, in my ignorant opinion, should not be a problem for the brainiac engineers at HK.
A loaded 5.7 round is more than 8mm longer than a loaded .45 Auto. The barrel, slide, frame, and magazines would ALL be incompatible. There's no part in the gun that would carry over.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts