HKPRO Forums banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts
I think another factor could be the lack of surplus .308 ammo and the high cost of what is out there. I have sold several of my .308 caliber rifles just because I did not feel like I could afford the ammo to shoot them.

As others have said, sell it on Gunbroker and I am sure you could get $2000+ for it. Get over your phobia of shipping guns and you will get good prices. It opens up a whole new group of buyers. I am sure I could not get $2000 locally for mine either but I definitely could on GB. Here are a few tips for pain free internet selling and shipping that I have learned over the years.
1. Take detailed pictures and be as honest as possible about the gun, condition, etc. This makes sure the buyer will be happy.
2. Take time and write the description of the gun thoroughly and such that you a trying to sell it to the buyer.
3. Charge enough for shipping and insurance. I would say probably $35-45 for that gun insured.
4. Sign up for a fedex account at FedEx: Shipping, Logistics Management and Supply Chain Management and use FedEx Ground to ship. They are much easier to work with and have lots of drop off locations.
5. Insure it during shipping and make sure it is "Adult Signature Required". You will get good tracking info from FedEx and you can provide that to the buyer as well.
6. Pack the gun well wrapped in bubble wrap in a good box. Or go buy a cheap hardcase at the Sporting Goods store and ask them for the box it came in. You can ship it in the hard case inside the box that it is made to go into.
7. Only ship to an FFL and verify the FFL on the ATF EZ Check website. I think there is a link to in the HKPRO marketplace.

It may sound like alot of effort but it really isn't too bad once you have done it once or twice and really does allow you to sell your items to a broad audience and get the best dollar for it. BTW: I am an individual like you, not a dealer.

Ok I was just checking to see if you would even ship it if your willing to ship it you just need to get the word out about your gun and someone will buy it guns are flying out the door of the shop I work at right now
Oh... so you work at F. F. & F. O. then?

Yes sir I work at the F F & F Outfitters

My guess is it's got more to do with what the market will support. I've seen IB 91's going for anywhere from $2,000.00 to $4,500.00 in various states of repair, and with various accessories. (Real HK's not Clones)

Man, good job and Congrats! Sounds like the market was good at the show.
Thanks. I was asking 3 at the show to leave wiggle room. Dealers were offering me 18 while asking 3 for their used ones. It was bitter sweet to sell it, but I'm a shooter not a collector and I was not enjoying having a safe queen. This is a great site that I just found. I still have 2 hk pistols so I am still an hk owner and will stick around.

Personally I wouldn't pay over $1500 for a 91 unless it was pristine NIB with all of the case candy. I had a real 91 and sold it years ago replacing it with an early PTR. While the HKs shoot really well I just can't see the difference in price. Same with a HK94 vs a MKE or a quality built clone; the price differential does not generally match the difference in performance. I love all my real and clone HKs but the prices are just stupid.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
I sold mine for 1900 strictly gun and 3 mags. I think I did pretty good but it is what it is. I have 14 aluminum mags, 10 steel mags 2 steel 30 rd mags 2 5rd mags 3 CETME mags to sell if anybody wants them. $100 for all the difference is this. Take that PTR, shoot a couple mags through it and get it hot, do the same with the real HK91 and see which one groups better. The PTR DOES NOT HAVE AN HK BARREL!!! that's what makes a gun... A beauty

I just picked up a pretty decent looking 91 on on GB for $1944 delivered. I think that base guns with no accessories generally go for somewhere about 1800-2000. I picked up a barreled hk 91 receiver for $1400 last summer and that was here on hkpro. I made an offer. The gentleman wanted 1800 for the complete gun and I just wanted the receiver for a 21 build.

I think that for some of us the german guns are best because you don't have to worry about 922 issues...

I just picked up a pretty decent looking 91 on on GB for $1944 delivered. I think that base guns with no accessories generally go for somewhere about 1800-2000. I picked up a barreled hk 91 receiver for $1400 last summer and that was here on hkpro. I made an offer. The gentleman wanted 1800 for the complete gun and I just wanted the receiver for a 21 build.

I think that for some of us the german guns are best because you don't have to worry about 922 issues...

It looks really nice too, glad it worked out for you

I don't really care what the values of HK91's are. I got mine in 1986 and I will never part with it while I'm alive. I'll dump the two AR15's, the Glock 19 and the Springfield XD before I part with the HK. In the end, I'll go with the HK91, the HK 45C, the beloved M1911Al and the Mossberg 500 Mil-spec riot gun.

I don't really care what the values of HK91's are. I got mine in 1986 and I will never part with it while I'm alive. I'll dump the two AR15's, the Glock 19 and the Springfield XD before I part with the HK. In the end, I'll go with the HK91, the HK 45C, the beloved M1911Al and the Mossberg 500 Mil-spec riot gun.
Not a bad second post, nor selection of firearms ... had the USP Tactical instead and a 70's Series Colt, but the the USP and 590A1 are gone (too many years shooting Remington to relearn controls) and the USP went when got the following.

Sold one for $1600 in 2010 and traded one for a sig 556 and some cash last year. No real interest around here and alot of the young people dont even know or care what a 91 is. Iam in talks with a 1976 with poly barrel and flapper for around 2k. If I can get him down to say $1800 and a stihl chainsaw I will buy. I wish so bad I still had all the hks that I have sold over the years! 4 91's, 93, usc and a few usp's. I blow all my money mostly on guns then i get to wanting something else and take a loss to get it! But I swear this year will be diffrent once I buy I will keep! Hell if I get to wanting it bad enough I might just trade my vehicle for it. Now thats what you call hk fevor. Iam 28 years old and ever since say I was 12 or so the hk91 was my hearts desire. I still get more of a rush when seeing and holding a 91 than anything else is life. And the old add with the guy coming out of the swamp holding his 91 still hangs cut out of an old ffg book on my wall. One more thing I have learned is that we the byers set the price. By this I MEAN YOU GO IN WITH WHAT AMOUNT OF MONEY YOU ARE WILLING TO PAY AND YOU OFFER IT. The seller usually accepts it. If not you walk. Dont ever be like me and go in excited and letting the seller know you you are leaving with hk91 no matter what!

I’m new to this forum and wanted to add my experience. I purchased one of the first HK 91s to be imported into the US a long time ago; I think it was in the late 70’s. The only mod I have made is to have a reworked trigger group. It has never jammed or misfired despite being fed all types of ammunition.
One time I took it to 100 yd with open sites and squeezed off five slow rounds off sandbags. The guy next to me would stare at me after each round and I didn’t know why. After completing the five shots I looked through my spotting scope and found they were all inside of 1” and dead bullseye. I immediately packed it in and went home.
This rifle is going nowhere in my lifetime, and I have made my son swear that he will not sell it either.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.