HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I'm just trying to figure out what it could hurt to offer more LEM models with a decocker like the v0 ( I think it is )

Im not claiming to be an expert and believe the hammer remains in a decocked position once the slide has been racked and bullet chambered. It appears to be fairly common to replace springs in order to convert to light LEM, which is where the decocker may be a nice option...I found the V2 LEM to be surprisingly smooth after a couple thousand rounds, when I swapped springs it felt VERY light.

I firmly believe in carrying HK, P7 or P2000sk depending on weather, situation, etc...BUT just CAN NOT wrap my arms around an LEM decocker being silly or unnecessary as I've been told. I have learned A LOT in the numerous explanations...but never anything that would convert my logic.

I've also been told its A LOT saffer than Glock, I'll agree there, and I am just too paranoid to CC a GLock...for safety reasons, nothing against em.

Back to the LEM...NO matter the situation... I would LOVE the option to decock, which I understand they are as mentioned...but I would like to be able to shoot from the heavier trigger pull, if I WANTED to for ANY reason. I also do understand LEM is not an SA/DA...but again, I'd like the option too be there. Even if it's just a mental crutch, if I'm off roading with one chambered the 14 lb pull on my P2000sk or the 14 lb pull on my sqeezecocker at least make me FEEL better. I just can't help but want the option on LEM, if for no other reason than I'd like to have the ability to change the LEM trigger pull weight and have the decocker as " just in case"

My question is if it REALLY that pointless on the LEM trigger system.

As always, thank you all for helping me learn more about the HK brand and engineering, I've truly learned more on this forum than most.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
You can't decock a LEM. By leaving the lever in place with the LEM, you have the ability to mechanically "safe" the gun. I originally thought this was kind of dumb, but after getting a Light LEM gun with a lever in place recently, I am going to try this system on a pair of HK45's. By using the light LEM with a V9 plate, I keep a manual of arms that is easily translated to my 1911's. One thing I always liked about the HK decock/safety is the ability to safe the gun while in administrative manipulations like loading and un-loading, and while the gun is off my person. While I am not totally sold yet, I am going to spend some serious time trying it to see if it is a good option. One of the huge benefits is that when I am done with gathering all the parts, I will have a couple of guns that I can set up in any configuration I want from DA/SA, cocked and locked, LEM, or LEM with a safety.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I think he's referring to the rear-mounted decocker on the P-Series, which you can leave in place if you convert the gun from DA/SA to LEM.

Completely unnecessary. It wouldn't stop me from converting a P-Series to LEM, though. No harm, no foul by having a rear mounted decocker on an LEM gun.

The V0 is sold overseas because some agency (or agencies) wanted the ability to decock the pistols for long term storage, but didn't want to dry fire it.

If you want to carry a gun with a true DA first pull, then get a DA/SA, not an LEM.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The V0 is sold overseas because some agency (or agencies) wanted the ability to decock the pistols for long term storage, but didn't want to dry fire it.
That's very interesting, I didn't know that. I was beginning to think it was an urban legend.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
That's very interesting, I didn't know that. I was beginning to think it was an urban legend.
There's a couple European HKPRO members that have owned one. Montrala owned one, I believe.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's a couple European HKPRO members that have owned one. Montrala owned one, I believe.
Thank you for the heads up on coverting with an existing decocker.

+1 on the overseas storage, I had no clue as to the method behind the madness, thats good trivia.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can't decock a LEM. By leaving the lever in place with the LEM, you have the ability to mechanically "safe" the gun. I originally thought this was kind of dumb, but after getting a Light LEM gun with a lever in place recently, I am going to try this system on a pair of HK45's. By using the light LEM with a V9 plate, I keep a manual of arms that is easily translated to my 1911's. One thing I always liked about the HK decock/safety is the ability to safe the gun while in administrative manipulations like loading and un-loading, and while the gun is off my person. While I am not totally sold yet, I am going to spend some serious time trying it to see if it is a good option. One of the huge benefits is that when I am done with gathering all the parts, I will have a couple of guns that I can set up in any configuration I want from DA/SA, cocked and locked, LEM, or LEM with a safety.

LOL, I've ALWAYS been too big of a P*#@Y to "Safe" a gun sans a decocker :)

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
If you want to carry a gun with a true DA first pull, then get a DA/SA, not an LEM.
I agree. Decocking the light LEM nullifies the reason for making it a LEM in the first place. DA/SA is the way to go if you want that 12 lb pull.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont disagree that putting a decocker on LEM seems self defeating, I personally would like it...but its probably bc I'm not educated/comfortable enough w LEM (YET)

But again, the reason I'd like it would be to feel comfortable in LIGHT or HEAVY LEM. I wouldnt use a decock mech on the heavy pull, however, might like to have the option if I swapped to light LEM.

I'd like to know if folks that are comfortable and knowlegeable w LEM prefer the light trigger pull to Carry.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I dont disagree that putting a decocker on LEM seems self defeating, I personally would like it...but its probably bc I'm not educated/comfortable enough w LEM (YET)

But again, the reason I'd like it would be to feel comfortable in LIGHT or HEAVY LEM. I wouldnt use a decock mech on the heavy pull, however, might like to have the option if I swapped to light LEM.

I'd like to know if folks that are comfortable and knowlegeable w LEM prefer the light trigger pull to Carry.
Good on you for recognizing that the issue is a lack of education and familiarity. Remember, no mechanical combination will make it safe for you to carry if you're not trained properly in the first place. A light LEM is accepted as a trigger mechanism that is safe for carry. Going heavier is not going to fix the fact that you're untrained.

Thankfully, you're only 3 hours away from one of the best programs in the country. Check out Rangemaster, run by Tom Givens. Tom's civilian students have gone 56-0 in actual gunfights, so I think he's teaching stuff that works! He's also instructed US Army SF and US Marines from the HRP course.

He'll get you sorted out. Real training will do more for you than any mechanical combination or experience without training.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I thought the LEM was a shortened, lighter DA system? Why would you even need a decocker for a double action?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I thought the LEM was a shortened, lighter DA system? Why would you even need a decocker for a double action?
As explained earlier, some European agencies wanted their LEM pistols with a decocker so they could decock it for long-term storage without dry firing it (worried about ND's I guess?).

It's not meant to be used for the normal operation of the pistol.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
It already has a decocker. It's called the trigger. Left it go forward = decocked.

And yes, it's a stupid question.

Worse than LEM with a safety. I honestly didn't think it could be done, but I was wrong.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Well said. If you want a "true DA" first pull stick to DA/SA. Specially if you're comfortable with it and train with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
272 Posts
Explain the LEM to me... Is it similar to the P99 trigger whereas when it's cocked, it travels from the DA to the SA position very easily, it "clicks" then it picks up tension once it's in the SA position?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Explain the LEM to me... Is it similar to the P99 trigger whereas when it's cocked, it travels from the DA to the SA position very easily, it "clicks" then it picks up tension once it's in the SA position?
The function of LEM has been discussed a million times, and probably 4-5 times in the past 2 weeks alone. I'm sure if you scroll just one page back you'll find a conversation about it.

No, it is not like the P99.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
It already has a decocker. It's called the trigger. Left it go forward = decocked.

And yes, it's a stupid question.

Worse than LEM with a safety. I honestly didn't think it could be done, but I was wrong.
It decocks the internal hammer which is under tension unless dry fired. Completely different from the external hammer going down.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Redundant. If it makes you feel better have at it, but it's just as unnecessary as the military making soldiers decock their M9s and also put the safety on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts