HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All-

Sorry if this has been covered before. I've searched twice and couldn't find it.

I've long wondered why there are not semi MP7s. I think that they would sell very well.

I've fired the MP7 several times. Based on this limited experience I've been very impressed. It's very easy to shoot, handles very well and is quite accurate. A lot in a very small, easy to shoot package.

Why no semi?

Thanks for any info.

R

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,373 Posts
Several reason that I won't go into in open forum, but mainly due to lack of "sporting purpose" as required for importation. This surrounds the basic design request for a personal defense weapon capable of defeating Kevlar body armor. Sure, there are other weapons out there that can fire armor piercing ammuntion, and are sold in civilian models, but it just ain't going to happen here.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I believe it would be an excellent home defense firearm, especially with a shoulder stock. As goofy as it may sound, a semi MP7 with a stock would be excellent for someone who is physically not as able (elderly, or disabled) to wield a rifle, or even a pistol as confidently or accurately as a lighter weapon like the MP7 with a collapsible stock.

In a perfect world, my grandma would have an MP7 to defend her home. She handled my G36K conversion very well! An MP7 would be perfect for her.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Several reason that I won't go into in open forum, but mainly due to lack of "sporting purpose" as required for importation. This surrounds the basic design request for a personal defense weapon capable of defeating Kevlar body armor. Sure, there are other weapons out there that can fire armor piercing ammuntion, and are sold in civilian models, but it just ain't going to happen here.
Thanks James.

Of course the PS90 fits the same bill, esp. with SS190 ammo (no longer sold since the PS90 was released). I'd think that HK could do as FN has. HK would make a LOT of $ on them. They would simply have to make a certain number/type of parts in the US as FN does with the PS90. It would be such a great gun.

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Thanks James.

Of course the PS90 fits the same bill, esp. with SS190 ammo (no longer sold since the PS90 was released). I'd think that HK could do as FN has. HK would make a LOT of $ on them. They would simply have to make a certain number/type of parts in the US as FN does with the PS90. It would be such a great gun.
My friend, you are preaching to the choir.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My friend, you are preaching to the choir.
I'll be at TacOps East next week. HK is always there. I'll discuss with them. That said, the LE side seems to not know much about the civilian side. I'll ask nonetheless.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
It seems HK isn't going to produce the MP7 in semi no matter how much we have ask. So... Wouldn't a better question be where does that leave us consumers? Personally, the APC9 with PDW stock(3 position telescoping stock similar to the MP7 stock) seems like a perfect opportunity for a partner with HK (B&T) to sell them as a semi auto PDW gun that is lighter and slightly more compact (11mm shorter) than the MP7.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
I like compact SBRs, which is probably why the MP5K is my favorite. Having seen Straightgrain's MP7 at KC a few years ago the formula appears to be compact SBR to the next power. I would be all over the HK97 IF they ever did bring it to market without totally bastardizing the concept...

·
HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
3,706 Posts
It seems HK isn't going to produce the MP7 in semi no matter how much we have ask. So... Wouldn't a better question be where does that leave us consumers? Personally, the APC9 with PDW stock(3 position telescoping stock similar to the MP7 stock) seems like a perfect opportunity for a partner with HK (B&T) to sell them as a semi auto PDW gun that is lighter and slightly more compact (11mm shorter) than the MP7.
Honestly, the whole reason I got the TP9 was because it reminded me of the MP7, B&T does have some good offerings that really mirror HK it feels like.

·
HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
3,706 Posts
Were you able to place a stock on it and Form 1 it into a SBR?
I'm actually going to SBR it here shortly, I need funds though to do so haha. Just bought a ton of ammo while prices are low before you know who is in office.

But yes I do plan to do it when I have $200 to spare.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Honestly, the whole reason I got the TP9 was because it reminded me of the MP7, B&T does have some good offerings that really mirror HK it feels like.
TP9 is nice. Wish they offered a telescoping stock for it. Which is why I will got APC9 and PDW stock.

More of a UMP and not a MP7 though. Either way, it seems what HK isn't willing/can't offer B&T is bringing to market in some similar way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapastalk.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I'm actually going to SBR it here shortly, I need funds though to do so haha. Just bought a ton of ammo while prices are low before you know who is in office.

But yes I do plan to do it when I have $200 to spare.
I guess now that the man cave is done, excellent job BTW, you can get some of your projects moving forward. Please let me know how it goes.

Are you able to get the stock ( per PSG's post)?

·
The Librarian
MP5-N and HK23E-K
5,558 Posts
I think in another 10 years we'll get a civi version.

·
HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
3,706 Posts
I guess now that the man cave is done, excellent job BTW, you can get some of your projects moving forward. Please let me know how it goes.

Are you able to get the stock ( per PSG's post)?
It's a foldable stock but yes, around $150.

Yeah the basement took quite a bit from me.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
The APC series is the only platform with a telescoping PDW style stock. TP9 and USW both utilize a folding stock. (APC series can use a folding stock as well...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapastalk.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
We cannot have folding stocks in Maryland and I'm stuck with a limit of no less than 29" on any rifle. As far as the APC line, not sure I need another pistol caliber (I already have 9mm and .40SW). So I guess I'm screwed:-(

1 - 20 of 95 Posts