HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have it narrowed down to P2000sk and Glock 23 for EDC. Those are the only two two that I like/didn't fail while using. It's expensive though. How can I justify paying more for a pistol that I hear isn't really supported by the company. Is it that much better? The thing thing I am most partial to is the hammer vs. the striker. I just want to know what the HK fanboys can tell me to convince me I'm making the right choice. Then I have to figure out V3 vs. V4. That's gonna be a tuffy too.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
1st off, anybody who tells you HK does not support their product is full of it. They are most likely fanboys of another company and have little to no real experience with HK or the top level service you'll get from them. I should know; I was once one of those fanboys. I have nothing but the HIGHEST praise for what those CS guys at HK do. You will find 95% of this forum posts will vouch for that.

Secondly, since you named the Glock 23 I'll assume you are considering .40 caliber? Although I am uncertain of why you narrowed you search to Glock 23 vs. P2000SK, since one is a compact, the other a subcompact. A more balanced comparison would be the Glock 27 to the P2000SK or the Glock 23 to the P2000, or P30. Either way, your call, but sticking to the caliber observation the modern HK pistols were designed specifically to the .40 and scaled down to the 9mm. Yes, you read that right. It was built for the .40, and scaled down to suit those that need/want 9mm. Glock, Sig, heck EVERYONE else built .40 pistols on 9mm frames, and often times the guns are not suited to that caliber and have had years of tweaks and design changes to suit the more powerful cartridge. Also on the caliber topic is the fact that Glock barrels are not fully case supported. There is a small portion of the rear of the case that has no support from the barrel. In the case of the .40 that is bad. Many instances of that caliber have blown clear through the cartridge wall in Glocks for that reason. And for that reason Glock has had to reinforce their chamber design more than once to accommodate the hotter defensive loads found today. More importantly you will find that ammunition manufacturers have actually redesigned the case of the rear of the .40 to reinforce it against those instances when using the hotter loads in a pistol that is not fully case supported. Basically since Glock undercuts other manufactures so much ammo makers had to fix their problem for them since so many LE agencies use the Glock. These facts are why I do not own a Glock .40. .45 and 9mm yes, but never a .40.

Lastly striker vs. hammer. I can't help you there. Even in the HK world you'll find those who swear by DA/SA, and those who defend the LEM trigger against all others. I personally have become an LEM convert, and it gives you something of a striker feel in that each trigger pull is the same. Being a Glock convert I find it better suits my trigger muscle memory better than the traditional DA/SA pistols.

Good luck on your hunt, and mark my words; you can find a decently priced HK P2000 or P2000SK for a cost differential that is nominal at best when compared to Glocks. It never ceases to amaze me how people will pay $30,000 for a car knowing full well they MIGHT have it 5 years and scoff at the notion of paying over $600 for a weapon that will last them their entire lives. Especially considering that you may very well depend on it to save that life.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. It's tough to find a shop that rents the LEM and the DA/SA. Most of them only have the DA/SA. When I pick up the HK and when I shoot it I can just feel the better quality. I was thinking that it could just be mental though because I know the price difference. That's why I am looking for more reasoning like what I found in your post.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
What happened to the last thread on this? Did it get pulled?

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
I have owned a Glock 23 and carry a Glock 19 for work. When I am home and can carry what I want I carry a P2000sk in .357 Sig. The P2000sk is well worth the extra money. I will not bash the Glock because I still own many of them and do like them but when it comes down to which one is the best and the one I carry when I have a choice I will choose the HK every time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nicely said DevilDog! That about sums it up... ;)

Glocks are nice, but you get what you pay for - utilitarian construction and poor ergo's. The HK range have vastly superior ergonomics and their build quality is second to none. Plus Glocks are damn ugly! Haha, I love em anyway though...

They are both equally reliable pistols and at the end of the day they will both serve you well for many years to come. Choose whichever you can afford I guess...?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
The question should always be "why shouldn't you buy a specific gun?"

Gun "Features" are all Bull****. The things that truly impact your happiness with a firearm are the negative things that you can't live with or change. No gun is perfect. None. Not a one. Ever.

I can't stand the trigger on the P30, so I changed what I absolutely hated about the P30 the heavy DA but decided I can live with the long reset. If I couldn't change or live with either of those things I would go back to another gun.

The whole I idea of buying a gun because "it has this or that cool feature is crap". Any gun can have "This or that" added but if you can't get rid of something, that's when you have your issues.

I fell into the "feature trap" when I bought my Sig P226 TacOps with hi-viz night sights, SRT trigger, 4 20 round mags, & a beaver tail. Do you know what really end up being the best feature of that gun? The SRT and 10k rounds. All the other crap was useless.

Just to create a sound bite, Don't buy features, buy what you can live with or change. You'll be much happier.

All that said, the SK is just as nice as all the rest of the HK's and if you do your part it will do its.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have experience carrying and shooting just about every Glock there is, 17/19/27/21/23/22. I also spent over 5 years carrying an HK P2000 with the LEM trigger. You cannot go wrong with that set up. In the heat of a SHTF moment, you won't even have time to think, all you will have is muscle memory built up over the time you spent or should have spent training at the range. And I don't just mean shooting, you need to practice drawing in whatever manner you will be carrying. If you are going to use an IWB holster covered by a T shirt, go to the range that way. I can't stress it enough, I know I am not the only one here who has been in a shooting situation, and although I hope it NEVER happens to you, it will be over before you can even say the word over. Now back to the original topic, I have carried a Glock 27 concealed for the last few years, but I finally missed my HK so much I am switching to my newly purchased HK45C with the LEM trigger. I chose to go back to the tried and true .45. Hope you find some of my ramblings useful, I know my wife usually doesn't... hahahahaa.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have only owned 1 pistol before and I liked it but at the time I didn't have a CPL. It was a Sig P239 with DAK. I really liked it but I'd like something with more firepower especially for the weight since I'll be carrying every day and wanting to practice alot, I also think polymer is more ideal for IWB since steel doesn't go good with sweat and some amount of neglect. I've seen plenty of people blasted on various message boards around the internet about this particular subject but I'm gonna address it anyway: I felt like the double action of the Sig was "safer" than the Glock trigger. This could be because I haven't ever carried around a pistol all day before. I am 30 so I'll be carrying a pistol every day for probably (hopefully) the next 35-40 years and that being said I think about the possibility of negligent discharge. It happens and everyone would like to think it only happens to idiots but that's just not true. I would think that theres always that possibility while holstering and unholstering for 30 years. I will do everything I can to make sure it doesn't happen and I'm sure 99% of people never have it happen in 30 years but fact is **** can happen. People can become mentally lazy at times.

So, I like the DAK and the LEM and I feel that a ND is less likely than on "safe action" pistols. Am I crazy? Also, I have no experience with DA/SA but I feel that they are also a better choice. So, I can rent all the pistols I want but no one lets you rent one long enough to become comfortable with which I guess is one of my problems. Either way I am just trying to figure things out. I'm sure you can see my post count and membership date and think I'm just some jackass posting a question that's been asked 10,000 times but I figured I'd go ask some people who know so here I am. Right now I'm thinking I'll either be carrying LEM or DA/SA with one in the chamber and decocked. Of course when I rented the P2SK I didn't try to shoot it double action style to see how it felt.....didn't think of it....duh.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Not knocking Glocks, because the ones I've shot I have been able to shoot well, and the ergos are actually OK to me. I'm also sure a G19 is somewhere in my future. However, one reason I'm considering an HK for CCW as opposed to a striker fired, safe action type pistol, is the ability to place my thumb on the exposed hammer when holstering. To me, this is an additional "safety" to prevent an ND.

Now, if I can only decide which HK will be my first!

·
Registered
44 Posts
The P2000sk is just plain awesome. I picked one up around xmas and fell in love to the point i got the P2000 also. Recoil does not feel like a Subcompact. It is more manageable than a USP9c. Highly recommended.

·
Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
1,023 Posts
I didn't consider .40 S&W for my CCW gun - but I had to pick between the P2000SK and the Glock 26.
In the end I picked the Glock 26. Yes, the P2000SK is a tad nicer - but the Glock 26 is not a bad gun by any means. I actually like the shorter magazine without pinky support (conceals very well) and you can always get the 12rd mag from Glock with the pinky support.
The gun is more accurate than I am and the barrel is actually a tad longer than the P2000SK barrel. The Gen4s have dual recoil springs and from what I've experienced here at the range the Glock 26 recoiled a tad softer than the P2000SK.

Buy whatever your budget allows and buy lots of ammo and practise. Neither of your potential choices will let you down. Good luck!

·
Registered
313 Posts
The P2000sk is just plain awesome. I picked one up around xmas and fell in love to the point i got the P2000 also. Recoil does not feel like a Subcompact. It is more manageable than a USP9c. Highly recommended.
Have you shot them side by side? I've shot an sk and was impressed with the lack of recoil, but would think the larger USPc would have less. How does the recoil of the P2000 compare to the sk and USPc?

Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
I recently traded my G27 in for a P2000SK. This is my second HK and I had previously owned two Glocks. Glocks seem to work, but I just was never attached to it. It never felt like a precision tool that I felt proud to own. The ergos were not great, it just literally felt like a chunk of cheap plastic. Throw in the tiring koolaid mantra that Glock is "perfect" and the worrying reports of kabooms (do you own research there, for me, despite the rarity, it left me uneasy) and I decided to move on. I am very pleased with my P2000SK. Conceals just as nicely as the G27 with an MTAC holster, flat mag baseplates, and tshirt/shorts. That's just my opinion and thought process, not trying to hate. Nothing wrong with liking a Glock, just not for me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well price is the major why not. All things being equal buy the cheaper one. I came here to make sure they aren't created equal...

·
Registered
702 Posts
Carried a G23 off duty, and as a bug to my G22. Later, I carried the 23 as an on-duty pistol. That said, I wanted a G27 for years. Makes sense, right? I had a ton of trigger time behind the other guns, and I really wanted the "baby Glock", but I never could justify the purchase. Finally, I came across a NIB deal on a G27 that I couldn't pass up. (Had a factory installed adjustable rear sight! LOL!)

To make a long story short, the G27 did not feel right. I hated to shoot the pistol! Tried to shoot with a grip extender, etc. Nothing helped. I sold it. In my quest to find it's equal, I started looking at the HK p2ksk. I was hooked. The pistol outshines the Glock in nearly every way. Shoots great, and is night and day from a personal perspective on the grip, and overall "carry-ability". Again, it's a personal decision. For me, there's no looking back.

Told myself I'd never purchase another Glock. Might have to re-neg on that promise due to my desire to have a great 10mm semiauto...

·
Registered
410 Posts
The glock is a good weapon. the p2000sk is excellent. Ive owned a USPt .40 longer, my p2000sk in is just 2 weeks old. jmvdigital got it, it does feel like a precision tool. it's expensive, but it really feels expensive. You get what you pay for. I own a S&W auto, a colt, a walther and have had lots of trigger time with glocks. what HK (my USP) did for me is that i could no longer appreciate any other handgun as much. so much thought and so much craftsmanship go into those things. Give it a detailed strip and see for yourself, it gives me a hard-on!

shooting the SK, it does feel like a full size handgun, that's comparing it with my 4" S&W with an alloy frame which does feel like a compact. it feels closer to a glock17 than to my S&W IMHO, and it is ridiculously accurate like my other HK . And another thing - if your reloading, hotter loads with any glock 40 makes cartridge cases one-time use because of the unsupported part of the case.

The glock is by no means a bad weapon, it does a perfect job. the p2000sk just belongs to a different league. It's like comparing a Volkswagen and a Porsche IMHO

·
Registered
44 Posts
Have you shot them side by side? I've shot an sk and was impressed with the lack of recoil, but would think the larger USPc would have less. How does the recoil of the P2000 compare to the sk and USPc?

Thanks
Not side by side, I sold the USP9c... definitely less recoil on the SK. The The P2000 and sk are pretty close.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts