HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got a batch 4 in 1 M885/M886 linked using the evil links with holes and marked MFT (or at least evil if you have a belt upper for the wonder* aluminum NFA 223 - AKA M16 ;-). The cans were marked for use in the HK23e (was from the UAE on the Gulf or a similar location).

Was wondering if there is reason to go with tighter links for use in the HK23e, possible for usage on vehicles etc (just guessing). Worked fine in a friends mm23e ...

Thanks
John

P.S. Anyone need 3000 (more or less) MFT links let me know, will make you a great deal. Figure they should be worth a penny each plus shipping, compared to 2.5 cents plus shipping for M27, catch is I don't want the penny each, you send it to your favorite 2nd amendment charity or HKPro if allowed.

* Reason for "Wonder" aluminum is you keep "wondering" if it will crack when something goes wrong and how you can get aluminum fixed vs. welding steel HKs ;-)

·
Requiescat In Pace
3,804 Posts
The "rotary" feed mechs used on the HK GmbH factory-made HK23 and HK21 MG's are somewhat sensitive to the "pitch" of the various links (the distance between the centerline of the links). In the 7.62x51mm HK21E the gun was supposed to fire from DM1 non-disintegrating and German DM6/US M13 links and usually did but the variations could and did cause problems overseas in ammo made with used or poor quality or reused links where they streched slightly. Thus is the reason the last HK21E's were named "HK21E/M13's" because they were optimized for US M13 linked ammo and as such would no longer funtion reliably with DM1 belts.

The best advice is to try the linked ammo/links in the particular gun as there were slight variances in HK23 feed mechs and sprocket wheels over the years.

I never found the HK23E to be as reliable as the HK21E.

G3Kurz

·
Vendor
1,327 Posts
The MM23E and the HK23E are not really link sensative.
The power of the recoilrod on these systems takes care of it.
"Others" that have a design problem (trying to strip belted ammo with a AR spring)
don't like tight links which the system can't handle.
The HK platform eats them all.
The UAE uses HK23E's so that is why the cans are marked as such.
If they used FN 249's then the can would say that as the links are a non issue.
Mike

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks ... everyone and PM sent.

The "other" does have a really large AR spring ;-), and after a trip back to the OEM and some playing around it works ok as an 8.5 lb belt feed with two of three barrels, then again firing off hand with an under 10lb belt feed is interesting but not exactly ideal at any distance ;-). The one down side was had to pass on a friends mm23e when the "other" bill came in. Noticed their 23es worked fine with the MFT links, one did not need a hook and glove to change barrels, nearly no recoil / clime with the 23e and in general is a nicer prone gun, by far.

One of the guys with a 23e was trying to talk me into disposing of the 191A4 and getting the mm23e/21e kit to go with the "other" (he likes 223 belt guns), but first have to shoot a 21e as my only experience has been with clone 21s (a little rough), , besides after this many years, have too many 1919A4 parts holding up other stacks in the shop ;-).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.