HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see this all the time, springs, sears, return springs, etc etc, upgrading from the factory trigger to something different.
Are there not enough options of stock triggers for HK firearms?
Im just curious as to all the tweaking of triggers, and why?

I don't mind the reset, or the DA pull on my pistols. They just need practice to master them.

yopu guys dump hundreds of dollars on some trigger to gain a 2mm less reset, or similar, less DA pull weight. isn't the LEM low weight in DA pull already?

I am just curious, as my next purchase will be a light LEM trigger, just to have one and learn it. I am learning what i can.......thank you

·
Registered
334 Posts
I do not touch my carry guns. Now with my competition & range only guns is a different story. Just speaking for myself. I'm used to custom 1911's. I love the way they feel. I try to make all of my range guns feel as close to a tuned 1911 that I can. If I can change out a few parts & springs to get a lighter, more consistent trigger pull with less creep & shorter reset, I'm going to do it. I do because that is the type trigger pull I like the best.

·
Priest of the P7
4,878 Posts
Trigger divas. There's no reason to screw with stock HK triggers that training won't remedy.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trigger divas. There's no reason to screw with stock HK triggers that training won't remedy.

i agree %100

just want to get other opinions as to why. the more ya know......

wow, Elvis, we agree on something. awwwwww were friends now :))

·
Registered
674 Posts
They just need practice to master them.
I agree. Like Rc51 Pete I came to Hk after custom 1911's. I had to adapt to the HK triggers. A lot of people like to tinker with the triggers to make them "better" and that's fine for a competition or range gun but I can't see modifying a carry gun. Good post Arcticdeth. Now if you would just change that freaking avatar.

·
Registered
334 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree. Like Rc51 Pete I came to Hk after custom 1911's. I had to adapt to the HK triggers. A lot of people like to tinker with the triggers to make them "better" and that's fine for a competition or range gun but I can't see modifying a carry gun. Good post Arcticdeth. Now if you would just change that freaking avatar.

maybe i had a small advantage, as i went from a very short stint, from a P227 right into my first HK, a while back. Sure the Sigs SRT triggers reset is about 1.2mm til the "click", but once my hand felt the P30 series, i was in love. I have been killing paper targets ever since, and I have become pretty darn good with the reset, it is longer, butu to each his own. " don't mess with Bobby"

I can see people wanting a better trigger for competition, or range use, and it is very smart to never digit with a carry piece, as reliability is key there.
Im one who can barely afford what i buy in the first place, but i have always liked nice things. so even a 100$ trigger tweak for me is not worth it.

I get it now, wanting to modify for the range or competition......just to have a shorter reset, lighter pull, etc etc. thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Far too many shooters don't get training.. Many reasons, I know it all and don't need to be trained , too busy, not enough money in budget etc etc.. I agree that a carry gun should not be modified. I also reload and do not carry my reloads in any of my guns. My carry ammo is the same as I carried while active LE. We could only carry the supplied rounds no substitutions. (Winchester Ranger LE)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I prefer the factory triggers!!! :biggrin:

Tony

the USP45T trigger is amazing, i love it. next purchase along with about 2-3 more, is a nice USP9T for kicking around the range with, 45 is too expensive to shoot all the time.
Im not messing around with any of my triggers, if i want a short reset, ill use the Sig at the range.
not messing with the HK triggers, as mentioned, I feel better training/using/perfecting my stock triggers.

thank you all for your explanations on triggers.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I do not touch my carry guns. Now with my competition & range only guns is a different story. Just speaking for myself. I'm used to custom 1911's. I love the way they feel. I try to make all of my range guns feel as close to a tuned 1911 that I can. If I can change out a few parts & springs to get a lighter, more consistent trigger pull with less creep & shorter reset, I'm going to do it. I do because that is the type trigger pull I like the best.
^^^^

This

I really don't mind spending money to modify something to the it the way I like it. Can't be alone, cause there's at least a couple pistol smiths with decent backlogs modifying HK triggers to the point they offer "reset reduction" packages. If you find the HK stock trigger to your liking, more power to you, I do not, especially the P-Series.

As for training, yeah I take a couple classes a year, shoot a monthly IDPA match, actually own my own range out back and last year went through a little over 20K in 9mm alone. Maybe I'm not shooting enough to learn to love a trigger with a crappy reset?? It's funny because every time the HK triggers are brought up, training is mentioned as a solution.

What I do find amazing is why folks actually care what someone else does with their gun.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i don't care, my question is about curiosity, thats all.
I see and read about it all the time, i just wanted to know why some do and some don't. cheers

·
Registered
346 Posts
I don't need no stinkin' trigger work!

Seems kinda odd that you basically state a trigger is a trigger and then brag on the USP tactical match trigger?

·
Registered
189 Posts
i don't care, my question is about curiosity, thats all.
I see and read about it all the time, i just wanted to know why some do and some don't. cheers
Can't/won't speak for others....In my case it's because it's what I'm used to. Grew up with custom/semi-custom 1911's, then Walther PPQs, S&W M&Ps and SIGs with SRT. So I've gotten used to decent to excellent triggers with a short reset. IMHO "decent to excellent triggers with a short reset" doesn't describe the average HK trigger. In our local IDPA club, were allowed to shoot multiple divisions in a match. So I might go from a 1911 (CDP) to my P30L (SSP) to my P2000 (CCP) without a warm-up dry firing etc. Muscle memory is a biatch when it come from going from a pistol with really short reset to a stock HK P series with it's close to 1/2".

Not an issue IF that's all you shoot, or you're a "square range" guy that punches holes in paper. Start doing some of the action pistol stuff where speed counts and excessive trigger movement isn't considered a positive feature or switch guns frequently like I do and it can be a PITA.

You can get used to and learn to shoot pretty much anything, but why should you when it can be modified to your liking?

Chuck

·
Registered
143 Posts
So, I wouldn't do my own trigger work but I did have Rick from Lazy Wolf do the master clean up package and nickle plating on my edc p30sk.

The gun just feels more crisp and cleaned up in comparison to my standard p30.

This hasn't negated my need to practice with it nor did I do it in lieu of continued practice.

The DA pull is still heavy (he knew it was my carry gun so we agreed not to get too aggressive in terms of making the DA too light)

It feels a lot like the Expert trigger. So, for me, it's been nice having a similar feel between the two I shoot the most often.

I started on a 1911 and moved to the HK. Although I do love the 2.5/3# 1911 pull I honestly prefer the feel of the da/sa now.

I used to biff that DA pull a lot when I was first learning. Now it's often center mass with factory triggers or the match/cleaned up triggers.

I don't feel my edc is any less safe because of Rick's work. By all accounts he's an expert at HK weaponsmithing. I am going to send him my p30, hk45 and vp9 eventually.

I've ran a decent amount of factory ammo and 146 grain reloads and have only had 2 light fire strikes with the reloads (never had an issue with factory.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I finished 2nd last nights idpa club match with a completely stock vp9. if i had actually remembered to shoot all the targets in stage one I would have won easily, but thats another story. I use the money on reloading 9mm and shooting the hell out of it. vp9 trigger is great for what I do. after bout 2k rds the vp trigger is even better now

·
Registered
711 Posts
Well if you like the match trigger on the USP45T and had a standard trigger on another USP you will probably want to install the Match on any other USP that you have. Not always though. I still have 1 USP which has the standard trigger and I have no complaints with no issues running this pistol BUT I will most likely change it to a Match one day.

·
PROUD ASA MEMBER
355 Posts
I don't get it either. Everyone wants a 1911 style trigger pull but I don't think they're all that. Now I do add the SRT kit to my SIGs if they aren't already equipped with it. The legion series triggers are "all the rage" right now but they feel just like a standard trigger with SRT kit to me. That's the only modification I do to pistol triggers. I do wish my HK's had a shorter reset but they are good triggers. Now AR triggers get upgraded to a Geissele unit everytime!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts