HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look like it would take a little Dremeling for proper fit, and I doubt I'll ever be brave enough to try it, but I'm curious. The little nubby release on the USPc isn't so bad and I'm used to it now, but I feel the P30s is far superior. There's just something about Hk pistols that make me want to get my Frankenstein on

·
Registered
437 Posts
Not likely. Close look and you see that the hinge mechanism of the P30 mag release is inside the trigger guard behind the trigger. The USP pistols have the mag release mechanism hinged below the trigger guard. I cannot see any way to swap them. But having no personal experience with USP, I cannot say for certain.

But I agree that the P30 release is about the best mag release I have ever used.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not likely. Close look and you see that the hinge mechanism of the P30 mag release is inside the trigger guard behind the trigger. The USP pistols have the mag release mechanism hinged below the trigger guard. I cannot see any way to swap them. But having no personal experience with USP, I cannot say for certain.

But I agree that the P30 release is about the best mag release I have ever used.
I have never taken down a pistol beyond field stripping, so I have no idea of the internals.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Just get the extended mag release man. I too prefer the sculpted mag release from the p30 and hk45 full size, but the extended mag release from the hk45c is perfect for usp's full size and compact alike.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just get the extended mag release man. I too prefer the sculpted mag release from the p30 and hk45 full size, but the extended mag release from the hk45c is perfect for usp's full size and compact alike.
Yes, the extended mag release is very nice and noticable. I did this on my USP.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have never taken down a pistol beyond field stripping, so I have no idea of the internals.
No need to strip, you can see from the outside that the P30 release hinges above the trigger guard and the USP hinges below the trigger guard.

The extended mag release is indeed the ticket. I just put one on my P2000SK a few minutes ago. No fancy tools needed; all you do is push the retaining pin out through that hole you see right behind the mag release, then the mag release will slide downward and out, along with the spring. Hold on to that spring, you need it for the new one. Installing the new one took less time than it took to write this and no complex work on the insides is needed. It makes a huge difference in the comfort and ease of use.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
It takes no time, especially after you've done it 5 times. A punch is all you need, it should just push out no tapping needed. Then get the new one in place with the spring located properly. Then push the punch all the way through to verify alignment, push pin in as far as you can from the opposite side of punch. Then pull the punch out and send the pin home. Verify centering of pin and you are G2G.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Just get the extended mag release man. ... but the extended mag release from the hk45c is perfect for usp's full size and compact alike.
I would not use it on a USP 9 or 40 Fullsize if you plan on using the pistol for personal defense.

Unless they modified the part it works less than stellar in stock form on the USP 9/40 fullsize. The angle the mag release is cut is different on the USPs with metal mags and the USP 9/40 with their plastic mags.

The HK45C mag release does not "grab" the plastic mags as much as the stock part. Be prepared for the plastic mags to "spontaneously" drop out of your pistol if you don't modify the HK45C mag release. There used to be an old thread on the angle to cut it if you search.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Who needs a punch? I used the end of a small allen wrench. I would imagine just about anything small enough to fit in the hole and reasonably stout can be used.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
First i've heard about the issues with a 9 or 40 fullsize. Good to know. But i've had no issues with my expert 45, uspc 9, and a 45 full size

And yea the allen wrench works fine. Punch is nice though and for that you dont need a roll pin punch. I just used a punch i used to on finish nails.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
First i've heard about the issues with a 9 or 40 fullsize. Good to know. But i've had no issues with my expert 45, uspc 9, and a 45 full size
All metal mags. The engagement/contact surface geometry is different between the metal and plastic mags. If you hold the HK45C and the USP9 mag release next together you will see the different angles they engage the magazines.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts