HKPRO Forums banner

Will HK ever do another run of Colored Frames for the USP's ??

5K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  Sharky 
#1 ·
Looks like we have Urban Gray in the VP9 and P30 but do you guys think HK will do the colored frames for the USP Series again ??

#3 ·
Who knows, however if a tan USP custom combat was on the California handgun roster I would give it a pretty good chance. I checked though, no colored frames...

The recent releases of stainless compacts, elite 45, and expert 45 models were actually targeting the California roster, as you have a lot of people and a limited variety of guns they can buy, no p30 or vp9, no Tacticals, etc, literally captive audience. So maybe an expert 40 v9?

Shockwave

#7 ·
How so @straightgrain (just to get you to 20 :wink: )? We are talking about frames, and I think the evidence suggests that cerakoted frames don't hold up well (the cerakote that is) with use. I would think HK would avoid cerakoting the frames and instead opt to just use the color formula for the polymer as they have with the HK45 series recently. I suppose they could coat the slides if they wanted to do something similar to the HK45 color run.

#8 ·
It would be nice to see HK do a run of Urban Gray USP Compacts since they seem to be doing Gray in the VP9 and P30 Series. It seems like I'm always a day late when the 1st run USP Compact Urban Gray's ( AE date code ) come up for sale...

#13 ·
If HK just produced a colored P30 frame , why wouldn't they produce a colored USP frame ? Just like the "last" run of 500 P7's ? That's the reason I don't invest in HK's ( .45 Elites or .45 Experts ) , they are able to now run what they want to when and if they think it will be profitable.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#18 ·
I think straightgain is implying that any customer placing an order of "sufficient quantity" can get HK guns in pretty much whatever color you like, with quantity being the operative word. Even though we were able to get at the time a custom group buy of 300 RAL 8000 FDE HK pro hk45c, we would need a higher number.

So in theory if you are uber rich, you could buy maybe
5000 Smurf blue USP Tacticals in 357 Sig with white slides and keep them all for yourself. Or gold plated mp5s.

Of course custom orders aside, the question on the table was more one of marketing, would HK see value in producing a run of USPs in a certain color now without a firm order for them?

This also makes me wonder about those gray p30S models... Why the S, which I wouldn't think was the most popular version... Did they receive an order from a LE or military source specifying gray frame p30S, and we are just getting the overruns? Might explain how they seemed to sneak out onto the market.

Shockwave

#21 ·
Shockwave pretty much covered the bases. The process isn't that complicated. It's the commit. Not only do they have to run enough to make the enterprise worthwhile, they have to hold a reasonable number in reserve for customer service issues that might arise. And, more importantly, they have to take the line down, away from regular production. It doesn't seem like that much to us, but it really is in the grand scheme of HK things.
I understand. Seems like this is unlikely as a Group Buy, but I'm hopeful it will happen as a limited edition re-release as they did with the SS USP Compacts in BF.

#19 ·
Shockwave pretty much covered the bases. The process isn't that complicated. It's the commit. Not only do they have to run enough to make the enterprise worthwhile, they have to hold a reasonable number in reserve for customer service issues that might arise. And, more importantly, they have to take the line down, away from regular production. It doesn't seem like that much to us, but it really is in the grand scheme of HK things.

#22 ·
Once upon a time I think it was CDNN who had MARK 23 SOCOM uppers for sale. At the time I wanted to build a synthetic frame for one but I lacked a complete handgun for reference. And my state later closed the gap on "home made handgun frames" before I would have likely completed it.

Now that I have a USP, experience in plastic molding, plastic welding and carbon fiber, and a "near future" in a state with virtually no firearm restrictions I may one day jump on that idea if complete uppers ever came available like that. I know that not everyone is in a place where they can legally make their own frames, but for those who are and know what they are doing, it may be an option for not only the color you like, but some design characteristics you may prefer. In my case I wanted to make an OD green MARK 23 frame with Walther P99 style finger groves and a trigger guard more like the USP.

#28 ·
Yeah that is why I actually looked up the list, hoping there was a colored frame on there as it might predict a possible release. A stainless USP compact is totally different from a regular USP compact, and caliber, even variant seems to count. Basically, SKU number.

USP expert 45 is V1, but the allowed 40 is v9, that kind of thing. I feel bad for them, not sure what happens when these all drop in 2018.

Anyway, that only concerns HK making batches that satisfy the roster as a way to still have something to sell there.
Any new color framed USPs will be intended for the rest of us. So might as well go Tactical or the other upgraded models. Or a limited run of Mark 23.

Shockwave

#29 ·
That is unbelievable. Maryland has a handgun roster too, but as long as the caliber and model are there you are good to go. Also, if you want a variant not on the roster it's not difficult to add (e.g want to add a new caliber, or add P8 when USP is already on there). Color and material are immaterial.

#31 ·
If they're doing us a custom run, we should ask for something unique like a colored frame Expert. That would be super cool. Wouldn't devalue the old colored guns, and it would be something different than the others to collect.

#34 ·
Yep... I think EXPERT's would be the way to go !! Gray , Tan and Green

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.