HKPRO Forums banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
I bought the USP 45 specifically for shooting 45 Super and hard cast for going to the ranch. I dont want to find out how well they against a mountain lion or bear... but I want to have what works.

Turns out i shoot the USP 45 better on target than my USP 45 compacts and others... but that could be the difference between the LEM compact and DA/SA of the USP 45...
Shot a black bear once (unfortunately) with .357 SIG and it did the job so I imagine a .45 super would have been more than adequate... but that was a black bear, not a brownie. My concern with a mountain lion would be hitting it, not whether or not .45 would do the job. I certainly wouldn't want to have to try my luck, with any pistol caliber, shooting a brown bear.

That being said, my USP .45 and HK45 (And my Delta Elite) are my guns for woods/backcountry so I am right there with ya!

Oh yeah, and the LTT (or a 92X) Beretta is also on my short list... HK could learn a thing or two from Beretta on how to move on after losing big government contracts.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I haven’t got to play with one of those yet but the look quite nice. I’ve got a shadow 2 with their trigger work in it I run for USPSA. It’s a shooter. I agree with you in LTT. It’s on my short list with a TJIBA. I would say if I got to spec out a gun, I’d love to see a Shadow 2 in an aluminum allow with a decocker. That would be my ultimate carry gun....even above an LTT because it could be milled for a dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I overhauled my old man's 92FS and have the LTT with the works. Frankly, I'd skip the LTT and roll with a 92X (aluminum) and TJIB it yourself.

I'm waiting to see something like a DVC-3 but with "Duo" rds mount. Haven't touched a 1911/2011 trigger in forever and the results with just Dawson's are leaving me very happy. The goal is an all-X B8 @25y in under 20.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I overhauled my old man's 92FS and have the LTT with the works. Frankly, I'd skip the LTT and roll with a 92X (aluminum) and TJIB it yourself.

I'm waiting to see something like a DVC-3 but with "Duo" rds mount. Haven't touched a 1911/2011 trigger in forever and the results with just Dawson's are leaving me very happy. The goal is an all-X B8 @25y in under 20.
I like the the thin grip on the LTT and the Vertec on the M9A3. Right now I would still take the M9A3 over the 92X simply because it comes with night sights and the threaded barrel. I might trade another M9A3 for a second LTT. The M9A3's are really nice. I have not tried the TJIAB on either yet. I have not had time too. Soon, I will get two so I can try them out and compare. My regular 92FS... has not come out of the box except to be cleaned and put back in the box...

Now, the 92X compact without a rail... I am considering that to alternate with my P2000 and sk's for carry. The problem here is I like the USP compact... and the P2000... and the P2000sk... and I have a Walther CCP too.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Shot a black bear once (unfortunately) with .357 SIG and it did the job so I imagine a .45 super would have been more than adequate... but that was a black bear, not a brownie. My concern with a mountain lion would be hitting it, not whether or not .45 would do the job. I certainly wouldn't want to have to try my luck, with any pistol caliber, shooting a brown bear.

That being said, my USP .45 and HK45 (And my Delta Elite) are my guns for woods/backcountry so I am right there with ya!

Oh yeah, and the LTT (or a 92X) Beretta is also on my short list... HK could learn a thing or two from Beretta on how to move on after losing big government contracts.
I have been considering a Coonan or S&W Performance Center 8 shot 357 Magnum. I just dont know if I want to spend the funds...

My biggest complaint with HK not moving on has been my disappointment with the P30 series. My vision would have been the P30 with the USP trigger options. Sure, whoever placed the order wanted the V3... Should have made that V1... with V2 etc been the trigger options from the USP. Same with the P2000 and sk series...

Now, they did move on from the VP70 to the VP9... so, there is that....

·
Registered
353 Posts
Things like pre-ignition travel, trigger weight, trigger reach, lock-time, etc are not opinions. They are quantifiable and measurable.

There is quite-advanced trigger analysis equipment and software that scientifically measures trigger performance. Some triggers are more reliable. Some are more durable, some are easier to shoot

·
Registered
353 Posts

Hearty goal. I haven’t gotten anywhere near that. I have shot several hundreds with a Roland Special and with the CZ but my highest X count has been in 6.

I’ll check out the X. May save some cash that way...even wait until used. I just have a weird affinity for the Beretta like a lot of guys.

Staccato P looks promising to me. Especially with the duo but I’d have to sell something to afford one.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
It's the first I've ever actually had a pistol where the trigger break is lighter than the weight of the loaded gun AND had sights that didn't suck (sorry, P210-2). It's taking some getting use to, but it's a goal I could not attain with anything I've been using up until this point.

·
Registered
353 Posts
It's the first I've ever actually had a pistol where the trigger break is lighter than the weight of the loaded gun AND had sights that didn't suck (sorry, P210-2). It's taking some getting use to, but it's a goal I could not attain with anything I've been using up until this point.
Good luck, keep us posted on results. My shadow is lighter in SA, but I believe that’s the only one. Careful, it’ll make your support grip lazy!

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Not sure I agree that 45 Auto hasn't benefited from advanced bullet technology. Federal 45 HST seems to perform exceptionally well in real world incidents.

I personally still like .45 Auto and have gone back to it for carry in the USP 45. It checks all the boxes of what I want in a defensive pistol and is replacing my P30LS in 9mm. While 9mm (and the pistols that fire it) works best for most, I wouldn't say that it works best for all.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts