HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Sorry if this is a repost, but the original thread was posted in the wrong subforum...)

As per title, just wondering if anyone here knew if the Redi-Mag would fit on a standard MR556 lower.

The Boonie Packer website states "It is designed to fit only M4, AR15 and M16 standard forged lowers." Not sure if the magwell on the HK's are significantly different, however.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
86 views thus far, not a single reply! :330: :)

I guess no one knows...so......I wrote to Boonie Packer (Redi-Mag manufacturer), and their response was: "As far as we know, it does not fit."

So then I wrote Blue Force Gear (they sell the "Redi-Mod", which is a modified/cut-down Redi-Mag, but theoretically uses the same magwell dimensions), and their response was: "The Redi-Mod will fit the HK 416 and clones as they are a forged receiver."

Confused. So...I guess I'll be the MR556/HK416-Redi-Mag-fit guinea pig. I just ordered a Redi-Mag online. I'll post back once I receive it and try to install it. If it doesn't fit, I hope I can save you all the trouble.

·
Banned
879 Posts
My un-informed opinion would be that the redi-mag will fit fine as the majority of the external dimensions on the 416/MR556 are identical to an AR receiver with the main exception that the magwell is longer in the front.

Unfortunatly, most purchasers of the MR556 wouldn't think of putting their MRs through hard use that would accompany the use of such a device as a redi-mag.

I personally wouldn't use one due to the increased weight on an already naturally heavy rifle. I also don't use them on my regular ARs either.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I personally wouldn't use one due to the increased weight on an already naturally heavy rifle. I also don't use them on my regular ARs either.
Weight was a very real consideration for me, since, as you said, the MR is already heavier than its AR counterparts.

At 5+ ounces, I wanted to see if the additional weight would be intolerable.

·
Banned
879 Posts
Weight was a very real consideration for me, since, as you said, the MR is already heavier than its AR counterparts.

At 5+ ounces, I wanted to see if the additional weight would be intolerable.
Let us know how it works out for you.

After trying a Redi-mag many moons ago, I decided to remove it and use two magazines clamped together. That way if I wanted the ultra quick change, I could have it without adding extra weight to the weapon itself so when I didn't want two mags avalible, the weight wasn't there regardless. I also found the redi-mag to interfere with my manual of arms and I didn't want to change years of training for negligible return (in my opinion).

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
If the redi mag is anything like a lancer or pmag it wont stay in only emags and the steel ones, a lot of distributors don't know this

·
Banned
879 Posts

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Redi-Mag requires some fitting for HK lower, but it can be mounted. This is what I heard from guy in unit that fields HK416.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Let us know how it works out for you.

After trying a Redi-mag many moons ago, I decided to remove it and use two magazines clamped together. That way if I wanted the ultra quick change, I could have it without adding extra weight to the weapon itself so when I didn't want two mags avalible, the weight wasn't there regardless. I also found the redi-mag to interfere with my manual of arms and I didn't want to change years of training for negligible return (in my opinion).
I tried the two mags bolted together and had to really stagger them to make it clear the plastic cover did u have same issue and I shoot lefty don't know if that makes a difference
Good luck!
. I know mako makes some extra holder but don't like that.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
If the redi mag is anything like a lancer or pmag it wont stay in only emags and the steel ones, a lot of distributors don't know this
Redi-mod will retain pmags, standard aluminums, & HK maritime. Given I haven't run around with them, but they do retain them. I would think this should translate over to the Redi-mag.

·
Banned
879 Posts
Redi-mod will retain pmags, standard aluminums, & HK maritime. Given I haven't run around with them, but they do retain them. I would think this should translate over to the Redi-mag.
Methinks volcom312 doesn't know what a redi-mag is and was assuming that it was another manufacture of magazine, not a rifle mounted spare magazine holder........

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Methinks volcom312 doesn't know what a redi-mag is and was assuming that it was another manufacture of magazine, not a rifle mounted spare magazine holder........
I googled redi mag and when the pic came up it showed me a transparent mag in the holder , I tried quoting your previous one about the clamps which don't seem to work for me unless they are really staggered , sshould have just bought the sure fire 60 holders I guess,

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
^^^I've seen a guy test out his SF 60 round mags down here (semi auto). He had some bolt hold open issues on the mag. Could be the mag, could be the rifle, could be the mag/rifle combo. Dunno, but anyway not saying it won't work on the 416/MR, but it's a lot of money to be out if the 60 round mag can't be tweaked to work.

·
Banned
879 Posts
I googled redi mag and when the pic came up it showed me a transparent mag in the holder , I tried quoting your previous one about the clamps which don't seem to work for me unless they are really staggered , sshould have just bought the sure fire 60 holders I guess,
I run my coupled mags staggered. What's the problem? Aesthetics? Or does it not work for you somehow?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Ok, guys, the Redi-Mag arrived and I finally installed it.

It totally fits, no problem.

I went with the aluminum version of the Redi-Mag, costs a little bit more, but slightly lighter at 5.6 oz.

Blue Force Gear makes a "Redi-Mod", which is a cut-down/lightened version of the "standard" Redi-Mag, but it weighs in at 6.89 oz (a little heavier than the aluminum Redi-Mag). The "standard" Redi-Mag is estimated to be about 8.6 ounces.

I did e-mail Blue Force Gear to ask whether or not their Redi-Mod shipped with the rubber gaskets (which you will need to protect your magwell), but they never responded. In watching youtube footage of how to install the Redi-Mod, it seems like Blue Force Gear did not supply the gaskets (i.e. installers were using make-shift sleeves from cut-up Magpul rubber loops), so I went with Boonie Packer's aluminum unit because I knew for sure it shipped with the gaskets.

It actually ships with 2 rubber sleeves/gaskets: one for a fixed trigger guard (U-shaped) and one for a removable/swing-open trigger guard (full ring).

I installed mine with a Magpul battery assists device lever, and the B.A.D. does have a tendency to rub against the rear housing/clamp (just as a heads up).

Montrala, I appreciate the advance notice. I was prepared to squeeze and hammer that thing in place (thanks!), but it turns out, it was a comfortable/proper fit.

Sorry, cellphone quality pics (not a professional photographer), but maybe good enough to get the general gist through.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Side note (not that I had expected any problems): the Redi-Mag (and hence Redi-Mod) will hold/retain Emags as well, no issues.

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
I did e-mail Blue Force Gear to ask whether or not their Redi-Mod shipped with the rubber gaskets (which you will need to protect your magwell), but they never responded.
v

A little late in the game, but my Redi-Mod from BFG came with the full ring magwell protector. Some folks just choose not to use them at all

1 - 20 of 31 Posts