HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You all know you want the best toy out there. I would have at least one version of every HK pistol if I could.

Unfortunately, I will be sticking mainly with the USP series for the most part as I am in NY state. I can have pre-ban high capacity magazines, but cannot take advantage of any of the P2000 or P30 hi-caps.

I have a very good job, most of my family and friends live here and I belong to a very open minded gun club. Maybe after retirement, I will move to a more reasonable state.

JPG

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I wont sell any of my USP. I always regret selling something after its gone, so Ill buy an HK45, probably two, one to hard chrome, one to stay in black. If H&K offers it in ODGreen later, Ill get one of those too!

*Yeah I desperately need treatment*

·
Registered
20 Posts
I doubt there will be a big sell off. USP sales stayed pretty much the same after the release of the P2000. But we will certainly see.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I not selling off either my USP-45F or USP-40C. I'm not all that thrilled with the Spidey-gun or what it has to offer that's such an improvement that I'd be willing to give up a couple rounds of ammo and some serious money for. The USP fits my hand just fine, I have a UTL already so the new rail isn't that much of an improvement, I like the match trigger on my USP so I don't think the HK45 trigger is going to be that big of a deal either. To be honest, I'm not getting rid of any USP and with the finger groove grips and fewer rounds in the HK45, I'm not sure I'm really going to want one of them either.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The new HK designs

If you ask me, I think HK had it right with the first HK45 prototypes. Even Larry Vickers says so, and he participated in its design!

But someone "wiser" than Vickers decided they needed the sculpted grips.

Some VP at HK probably thought the prototype wasn't evolutionary enough to garner attention. So ergo-grips to the rescue.. Arg!

I like the adjustable backstraps, but if I wanted scuplted grips I'd buy rubberized grips myself, thankyou. I like the longer mag-release. I like the new design of the safety-decock lever and slide-release levers. I like the 1913 rail -- they should have done that ages ago. All good improvements.

But I think HK afficionados really don't want to see such a huge appearance leap, such as from the USP to the P30... What say you?

To me the P30 is too "curvy" and I don't prefer ergo-grip designs. The HK45 prototype shown below kept the USP family resemblance, but improved it in several ways. Like having slide serations on the front and rear of the slide. I like improving functionality while not distracting from a good-looking design.

If I were VP of design at HK:

I'd take the initial HK45 prototype (shown in the photo below), then make it in black as well as stainless, just like the USP. I'd offer it in 9mm and .40S&W as well. Why not? Both rounds sell more than the .45 ACP.

The Clinton-Brady ban is over, so we can have our 18-round magazines (like I do with my 9mm USPs).

Because I'm left-handed (12% of the population is) but mainly shoot right-handed (the other 88%), I prefer an ambidextrous safety decock lever. I can shoot either way, so why can't my HK?

Judging by the huge sales of 1911 ambi-safety devices, apparently others like it too. It's one of the first things people add to their 1911.

And it's what I really like about my Expert. So I'd offer my design standard with ambi-safety & ambi-slide release lever.

Offer it with or w/o the extended barrel. Many have no use for supressors, even if it does look cool with the extended barrel.

Of course the o-ring would be standard, and if you could fit the polymer buffer to the recoil guide rod and spring in 9mm and .40S&W, then that would be standard as well.

So, you'd have the HK45, HK40, and HK9, available in Army Earth color, Black on Black, or Black with Stainless Steel slide. All versions would come with the field-durable dot-sights, for better quick aiming, and with a tall front sight, if the need for a supressor should later arise.

I don't know how the HK45 trigger feels, but if it can replicate the feel of a match-trigger, terrific.

So, if HK produced this pistol described above, resembling the photo below,
(1) would you buy it? and
(2) in what Color/Caliber/Barrel?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I guess I should show the P30 since I ranted about its curvy-ness.

I like 9mm, but this one isn't my cup of tea.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Why would you want to sell a perfectly functioning gun?
P30 is P2000, with more ridges, and grip gimmick.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm new the HK game and love my USPs and newly acquired P2000 (40 SW). While I do plan to purchase the HK45, I will not be selling any of the USP's. I learned years ago about seller's remorse after selling my P7M13 here in CA. Won't happen again.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I wont sell any of my USP. I always regret selling something after its gone, so Ill buy an HK45, probably two, one to hard chrome, one to stay in black. If H&K offers it in ODGreen later, Ill get one of those too!

*Yeah I desperately need treatment*
They say the best treament for addictions is to get rid of whatever your addicted to. Just PM me and I will send you my address and instructions on where to send your HKs to.

I really want to furhter my collection. Unfortunately being broke and in college inhibits this.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I wanted to ad that I dislike the spidey grips very much. I would prefer the P2000 style grips. This is purely based on the looks though. I cannot comment on functionality.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I was all ready to get the P30 as soon as it supposed to be out (over the summer supposedly) but I am sick of waiting and there is no way the gun is going to be worth $200+ over the P2K. That being said I am planning on getting a P2K in the near future as it fits me perfectly and does everything right.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
I hope that they do. I would apprecate the price brake on the remaining USP's and I know in 20-25 years it will have been worth it to me. LOL TJ

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'll be keeping all of mine if I have anything to do with it. UUUUHHH.... Yes Dear, no this isn't a new pistol it's just the same old HK with new grips. No they weren't expensive. You know how I like spiderman and all.
Ben
PS, I'm sure we will all figure out a way to get around those grips ie. dremel or Robar etc.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's good to hear that those that have full size USP's are still trusting what works. If I get into the HK45 or P30 it will be for fun/collecting. Until I get a Mark23 or USP Expert, I will have to rely on my USP45F.

I too have regretted selling off some firearms, but not all of us are made of money. I believe the only HK I have sold is an HK94. It didn't hurt all that bad and the proceeds bought me a Benelli M1S90, P7M8 ans SL8-1.

JPG

·
Registered
79 Posts
Of course the o-ring would be standard, and if you could fit the polymer buffer to the recoil guide rod and spring in 9mm and .40S&W, then that would be standard as well.
Are these features not found in the current USP Tactical .40 models? I thought they were?!

·
Registered
311 Posts
You all know you want the best toy out there. I would have at least one version of every HK pistol if I could.

Unfortunately, I will be sticking mainly with the USP series for the most part as I am in NY state. I can have pre-ban high capacity magazines, but cannot take advantage of any of the P2000 or P30 hi-caps.

I have a very good job, most of my family and friends live here and I belong to a very open minded gun club. Maybe after retirement, I will move to a more reasonable state.

JPG

No, they are ALL worth owning

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have been watch a local gun shop for used HK for years now. This shop is probably one of the largest in Colorado. I have seen one USPf .40. One USPf .45 which I was going to buy. It was not there when I went back. And one P2000 v2, and recently one P7. That's it. I have been waiting for years for a compact 9mm to show up. Nothing doing. Around here the used HK market is pretty slim. But, I have only seen one other HK owner at the range I shoot at.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Won't the HK Police come after you if you sell an HK?

I have always regretted selling any firearm, will keep what I have and add to my collection the new models.

:47:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Here we go with the grips again. They were designed by Karl Nill, arguably the best in the industry. Also, almost every one of the "cant stand the Spidey-grip" folks are basing their superficial biases on PHOTOGRAPHS.

As for the original question: I doubt demand has been all that stellar lately anyhow, with all the new models from other manufacturers lately. I'd bet USP production will be gradually ramped down, but demand is likely to remain steady (albeit limited).

And, in response to gl's question, I'd go with a HK9 SAO (if they made one).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts